Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Ivy bridge - 1155 socket but what motherboard chipset??

Last response: in Motherboards
December 19, 2011 4:22:26 PM

its been going on for a while that the new Ivy Bridge is going to support 1155 board socket. But at the same time neither intel has made it clear that whether it'll be compatible with p67 or z68 !!! And some sites are saying that intel is planning on releasing three new chipsets viz, z77, z75 and h77.

Anandtech states that Ivy is supported by z77,z77,h77,z68,p67 and h67 -
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4830/intels-ivy-bridge-ar...

But the old series is not USB 3.0 compatible with it. So, instead of upgrading my mobo and CPU now, should I wait for the new chipsets to kick in, or the current chipsets will be good enough for Ivy when it comes. Coz Sandy Bridge is well within my budget and i was thinking of maybe upgrading that to an Ivy -1.5-2 years when i require.

Any thoughts??
a c 180 V Motherboard
December 19, 2011 5:02:46 PM

The problem with the next great thing is that it is not released yet and all we have is rumors and leaked spec's so the thing to do is go with what you know. Intel has a bad habit of not making it's cpu's with the same pin counts so that you can upgrade just the cpu. They almost always make thier new cpus with different pin counts from the last version so you have to get a new moptherboard when you get the new cpu. This is not really such a bad thing because they are always coming out with new features for the motherboards as well so you do tend to want to get the latest MB along with the new cpu , but for those who would just want to do the cpu they don't have the option.
I think that the Ivy Bridge will be compatible with the Z-68 chipset , but that Intel will also release a version of Ivy Bridge that requires a new chipset , maybe for the highend systems. If you build a new Pc now with all high quality components , then I would skip Ivy Bridge altogether and go with the next release or the one after that.
I built a computer just before the Sandy Bridge release and went with the Gulftown 980x Extreme and GTX 580's and a lot of ram , and while it is tempting to upgrade to the Sandy Bridge or Sandy Bridge-E , I don't feel that there would be much of a noticeable performance increase and I may even wait till after Ivy Bridge. I will be able to play any game on ultra and do just about anything with my computer for a while.
You could build a great computer with a Sandy Bridge or even Sandy Gridge-E and go with the GTX 580 and 16gb of ram. The thing is if you decided to upgrade to Ivy Bribge when it came out because it was compatible with your motherbopard you would be disapointed because you would not notice much of a performance increase.
So the thing to do is to build your computer now the best you can and not worry about anything being compatible later on because in 1.5 to 2 years from now there are going to be so many new features and hardware that your going to want everything new anyway , you are not going to want to use the same motherboard or even the same ram or SSD.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 19, 2011 5:49:22 PM

if you want to buy ivb, you should get an ivy bridge chipset motherboard with ivy bridge cpu. since they belong to the same platform and should work together with all of the features enabled. with ivb cpu + sb mobo or sb cpu + ivb mobo you might lose some of the ivb-specific features. for example, pcie 3 is rumored to work with ivb cpu + ivb mobo and ivb cpu + pcie 3 capable sb mobo, but not with sb cpu + pcie 3 capable sb mobo or sb cpu + ivb mobo.
the sb chipsets are supposed to support ivb after a bios upgrade.
if you decide to get ivb, wait for the platform to get reviews/benchmarked, bugs worked out (remember cougar point bug).
intel seems to be focussing more on features, functionality and the igpu than on clock speed and raw cpu performance.
m
l
Related resources
December 19, 2011 6:31:02 PM

Some of the latest 6x (z68 & P67) MBs already are marketed as PCIe3 capable, so that means they can use (and were tested with) ivy bridge as the x16 lanes come from the CPU die, not MB itself. So only EM interference (circuit drawings) can interfere with the achievement. Since MB makers have ivy bridge CPUs for a long time, I tend to believe their marketing (and the fact that all of them jumped to this).
Like previous posts said, 7x chipsets are still unconfirmed. So apart from PCIe3 (which doesn't even come from chipset) only Intels USB3 seems to be newly added tech, as 6x MBs have it with non-Intel chips.

Anyway, my choice of not getting the Gen3 variant of the MB was stock-related and the fact that PCIe2.0 seems to still hold the line, even in x8+x8 configuration.
m
l
December 20, 2011 2:28:53 PM

de5_Roy said:
if you want to buy ivb, you should get an ivy bridge chipset motherboard with ivy bridge cpu. since they belong to the same platform and should work together with all of the features enabled. with ivb cpu + sb mobo or sb cpu + ivb mobo you might lose some of the ivb-specific features. for example, pcie 3 is rumored to work with ivb cpu + ivb mobo and ivb cpu + pcie 3 capable sb mobo, but not with sb cpu + pcie 3 capable sb mobo or sb cpu + ivb mobo.
the sb chipsets are supposed to support ivb after a bios upgrade.
if you decide to get ivb, wait for the platform to get reviews/benchmarked, bugs worked out (remember cougar point bug).
intel seems to be focussing more on features, functionality and the igpu than on clock speed and raw cpu performance.

yeah, that is a huge problem. Thats why its quite bothering to put together a nice rig. I have been planning for almost a month now and still can't get 2 conclusions.
i mean, yeah sandy is gr8!!! but we all know the thing that comes after it will be better. plus, Ivy is electricity efficient too (65 W TDP for a 3.4 GHz quad i5). That seriously makes it worthwile to wait.

but i am really frustrated with my p4 (yeah, too old) and was too excited to get a 2500k, but the news of Ivy and it's specs on Wiki made me change my mind. Its really f***ed up, with a p4, u know! :cry: 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 20, 2011 2:47:24 PM

p4 ain't that bad :p  ... my prescott space heater aka teh littel monster was still running when i sold it. it was slow as !@#$ in playing 1080p video or high bitrate video files and it got the job done most of the time.
m
l
December 21, 2011 9:58:27 AM

back o the topic, de_roy, i think if i wait for the benchmarks and the bug fixes, thats gonna finish up around october next year. thats hell lotta time to wait.
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
December 21, 2011 11:20:33 AM

comes down to what you want to do and what you have at hand (budget, leftover components like hdd etc). here's tom's news article on the price leak.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Intel-Ivy-Bridge-CPU-L...
December 31, 2011 11:47:14 AM

Best answer selected by gam0reily.
m
l
!