Cases HAF X vs Raven RV02-E

mattmock

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
My gaming rig has outgrown my current case, a Silverstone TJ02. The GTX 570s in SLI and i7 920 @ 3.5 GHz just produce too much heat for the limited airflow in the TJ02. I need some advice on getting a replacement case. The most important factors are
+Good airflow, esp. to GPUs
+Low case fan noise
+Low noise transmission from the components inside
+Must fit my 190mm deep PSU (rules out Raven 03)
+Must fit Long graphic cards

The nice to have features
+8 or more expansion slots
+Fits EATX and other larger than ATX motherboards
+Built in fan controller

The two cases I am considering now are the Silverstone Raven 02-E and the Cooler Master HAF X. The Raven 02-E has the nice Silverstone AP fans and seems like it might offer the lowest noise levels. The HAF X supports larger motherboards and more expansion slots, but seems like it might let a lot of noise escape from the case. Both offer plenty of airflow. Can anyone comment on the relative noisiness of a rig built in these two cases, offer an opinion on which is better, or suggest an alternative?

Solution
The Raven is quieter of the two.. As for cooling, both will perform similarly.. You can't go wrong with either.. I too was facing the same dilemma sometime back and ended up getting the RV02.. Reason being, it looked more cooler to me.. And I fancied having a case with an unorthodox design.. In your case though, i'll suggest going for the HAF-X as it fits your criteria list (will give you more satisfaction) and as it looks like, you will be better served with the slightly more amount of space..
The Raven is quieter of the two.. As for cooling, both will perform similarly.. You can't go wrong with either.. I too was facing the same dilemma sometime back and ended up getting the RV02.. Reason being, it looked more cooler to me.. And I fancied having a case with an unorthodox design.. In your case though, i'll suggest going for the HAF-X as it fits your criteria list (will give you more satisfaction) and as it looks like, you will be better served with the slightly more amount of space..

Solution

mattmock

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
I decided on the RV02-E, it isn't as big as I would like, but after thinking about it, quietness was really the most important factor to me. Amazon only had the white version (RV02W-EW) in stock, so I ordered it with overnight shipping. Since I have a prime account it cost $4 instead of $120. If I ever really need more expansion room inside, I can switch to water-cooling for the GPUs.

DoomsWord89

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011

I was trying to decide between those two cases when I built my PC aswell.
After looking around, I actually settled on the Silverstone FT02.

mattmock

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009

I decided against the FT02 because it used the older regular 180mm fans instead of the newer AP 180mm fans in the RV02-E. This may turn out not to make any real difference (they are just both big fans) but I got sucked in by all of Silverstone's flashy promotion of the AP fans. I saw a review on bit-tech for a red limited edition of the ft02 with the AP fans, but I didn't find it for sale online.