Sign in with
Your question
Solved

AMD Phenom II x2 565 Black Edition vs Phenom II x4 840

Last response: in CPUs
April 13, 2011 6:31:08 PM

I have a gigabyte AM2 mobo (GA-M57SLI-S4) and it will accept both of the above processors. Will there be much of a difference in performance? I wll probably not overclock (but would certainly like to try that). My main apps are Lightroom 3, Photoshop CS4 and some simple video editing.

I think the Black Edition means that there are more overclocking capabilities, correct? If that's the case can the 565 be "pushed" more to get better performance over the 840. This is more out of curiosity as I'm trying to learn.

Thanks...
a c 113 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 13, 2011 6:48:47 PM

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-p...

I don't see the PhII 565BE, and the Phenom II X4 840 CPU support is NA.

:) 

So that leaves you with the Athlon II X4 640 or the PhII 555BE.

Lightroom will use the extra cores if you are transferring a bunch of big ol' RAW files, and extra cores will be of greater benefit when encoding video.

On the other hand, PS would love that PhII 555BE at 3.8GHz or so (though certain plug-ins and filters can use more than 2 cores).

Since you describe your video as 'simple' I'll vote for the PhII 555BE. It's 80w and will take a nice OC over the AthlonII quad.

Then again, I suspect some folks would really mess you up and recommend the Athlon II X3 445 as you should not have any problems going 15x240MHz with the HT & RAMs ratio dropped back a notch (and the cost difference would cover the majority of a new HSF).

I made this choice clear as mud -- LOL

ghnader hsmithot said:
according to the manual your mobo only supports amd athlon X2.And first generation Phenom.

I'm seein' 40 or so PhIIs and AthlonIIs ...

It looks as if the OP is looking in the $100 range -- the PhII 955BE would be a great investment at $140 if he chose to bust his budget.
m
l
Related resources
April 13, 2011 7:03:09 PM

Thanks for pointing out my obvious mistake - been looking at these tables too much! So let's focus on the PhII 955BE. Best Buy sell this:

www.bestbuy.com/site/AMD+-+Black+Edition+Deneb+Phenom%2...

. Why get it from Best Buy? I have just received a $115 Reward Zone voucher and so want to spend the money on something I will get value from. From the Gigabyte website it says that only the 95W version of the 955 will work. How do I know if this one from Best Buy is a 95 Watt version?
m
l
April 13, 2011 7:15:14 PM

mRoy62 said:
I have a gigabyte AM2 mobo (GA-M57SLI-S4) and it will accept both of the above processors. Will there be much of a difference in performance? I wll probably not overclock (but would certainly like to try that). My main apps are Lightroom 3, Photoshop CS4 and some simple video editing.

I think the Black Edition means that there are more overclocking capabilities, correct? If that's the case can the 565 be "pushed" more to get better performance over the 840. This is more out of curiosity as I'm trying to learn.

Thanks...

Simple fact of the matter is all new games need a quad core processor. The applications you mention also support multiple cores. So get the quad core.
m
l
a c 113 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 13, 2011 7:33:20 PM

mRoy62 said:

Thanks for pointing out my obvious mistake - been looking at these tables too much! So let's focus on the PhII 955BE. Best Buy sell this:

www.bestbuy.com/site/AMD+-+Black+Edition+Deneb+Phenom%2...

. Why get it from Best Buy? I have just received a $115 Reward Zone voucher and so want to spend the money on something I will get value from. From the Gigabyte website it says that only the 95W version of the 955 will work. How do I know if this one from Best Buy is a 95 Watt version?

It appears the Best Buy Model: HDZ955FBGMB is 125w. I tried to find **Phenom II 945** at Best Buy and got back 2047 responses - none specific to the CPU.

Dang that Best Buy & AMD !! :lol: 

Here is the AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz 95w for $135 or the AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz for $120.

Here is a 95w PhII 955 ... for $189 !!

edit: Quads are nice ... but don't be over-driven by core-creep. A fast dual-core is a potent processor and will function quite well. The important thing is understanding your work tasks and how the CPU & software can address the tasks.

A PhII 555BE is $90 (and 3 out of 4 will unlock -- but not on your motherboard :(  ). If your overall tasks do not generally require a quad you have to ask yourself whether the additional investment will be worth it. Just be certain to go AM3-CPU as it will move forward.
m
l
April 13, 2011 7:55:35 PM

Wisecracker said:
It appears the Best Buy Model: HDZ955FBGMB is 125w. I tried to find **Phenom II 945** at Best Buy and got back 2047 responses - none specific to the CPU.

Dang that Best Buy & AMD !! :lol: 

Here is the AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz 95w for $135 or the AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz for $120.

Here is a 95w PhII 955 ... for $189 !!

edit: Quads are nice ... but don't be over-driven by core-creep. A fast dual-core is a potent processor and will function quite well. The important thing is understanding your work tasks and how the CPU & software can address the tasks.

A PhII 555BE is $90 (and 3 out of 4 will unlock -- but not on your motherboard :(  ). If your overall tasks do not generally require a quad you have to ask yourself whether the additional investment will be worth it. Just be certain to go AM3-CPU as it will move forward.

So I think Best Buy is a no go in this case, correct?

Your first post stated that xfering large RAW files in LR3 would benefit from 4 cores. That process for me right now is painful. I currently have a 3.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core. I gues I should also ask if the processors in discussion here are significantly better than my current one.
m
l

Best solution

a c 113 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 13, 2011 10:18:55 PM

Your transfer speeds are primarily dependent upon your SD card and interface.

A quad can help but the Speed Class Rating is the Ultimate Determinator :lol: 

Transfers via USB2 are substantially faster --- generally in the 30 MB/s range.

Quads really help when batch processing and conversion in Lightroom.

Sorry about Best Buy. It would not hurt to ask if they have a PhII quad available in stock or on special order. It looked as if some complete rigs with 945s were available, but I must admit ....

I didn't know BB sold processors :p 

edit: YES! A new processor should make quite a difference --- as will boosting your memory.
April 13, 2011 10:23:16 PM

Best answer selected by mRoy62.
m
l
April 13, 2011 10:25:30 PM

Wisecracker said:
Your transfer speeds are primarily dependent upon your SD card and interface.

A quad can help but the Speed Class Rating is the Ultimate Determinator :lol: 

Transfers via USB2 are substantially faster --- generally in the 30 MB/s range.

Quads really help when batch processing and conversion in Lightroom.

Sorry about Best Buy. It would not hurt to ask if they have a PhII quad available in stock or on special order. It looked as if some complete rigs with 945s were available, but I must admit ....

I didn't know BB sold processors :p 

edit: YES! A new processor should make quite a difference --- as will boosting your memory.

Thanks for the great sound advice, Wisecracker.
m
l
April 14, 2011 1:52:29 PM

Four cores all the way.
m
l
April 14, 2011 2:36:23 PM

ethel said:
Four cores all the way.

why? Can you help me understand how different s/w utilises multiple cores. I do not gaming.
m
l
April 14, 2011 9:47:22 PM

Because even if the app you're using can only use 2 cores, there are always other system or background processes going on on your PC so with 4 cores you're always going to have some processing capability to spare.

Plus over time more and more software will be written to be better multi-threaded.
m
l
a c 113 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 14, 2011 10:38:36 PM

mRoy62 said:
why? Can you help me understand how different s/w utilises multiple cores. I do not gaming.

Using your Lightroom as an example -- if you import all your RAW images and wish to convert each of them to jpegs, a quad core processor does the batch conversion much more quickly because the software runs individual threads in 'parallel' across the 4 cores. The technical name for this is SMP, or Symmetric Multi-Processing.

PS is a bit of a different animal. Not sure what version you have but "PS The Application" (at least in the past) is not highly multi-threaded HOWEVER certain filters and plug-ins that you may use in photoshop CAN take advantage of 4 cores in multi-threading to work much faster.

In video conversion (and 3D modeling) most software today can run multiple threads in parallel across 4 cores to improve performance.

In many instances, however, it's useless for software writers to concern themselves with running parallel threads across 2 cores -- much less the 4 cores -- on a quad. The operating system effectively (well ... maybe not that effectively - LOL) balances load demand across all cores.

In the past this has been an issue --- but the Windows scheduler has become more efficient in load balancing system demands.

m
l
!