Sign in with
Your question

Older build crashing after ~10min of use HELP

Last response: in Systems
January 18, 2011 1:01:56 AM

So i have my friends computer here and the problem is that after 10-15 min of use it shuts down with no warning. Try turning it back on you might make it to the login in screen before it shuts off again. If you let it sit for a while though you can turn it on and use it another 10 min or so. My first though cpu overheating and the mobo is turing off to protect it. SO i took it apart and sure enough the stock thermal pad is fryed (after 4 years of use) so i cleaned it up and put some artic silver on. Still giving the same problem though. I dont have the temps it was running at because it conveniently crashed as i was installing a temp monitor. Here are the specs:

Pentium 4 2.8ghz
Abit N18 SLI GR mobo
Artic Freezer 7 Cooler
730w PSU
GeForce 7800
2gb of ram

If anyone can give some insight into this problem that would be greatly appreciated.
January 18, 2011 2:44:41 AM

My first thought was that your CPU was overheating, too. If not a heat issue, maybe the PSU is dieing on you? If you can just get to the bios screen, you should be able to check temps, and possibly voltages from there.
m
l
January 19, 2011 5:36:37 PM

Hastibe said:
My first thought was that your CPU was overheating, too. If not a heat issue, maybe the PSU is dieing on you? If you can just get to the bios screen, you should be able to check temps, and possibly voltages from there.

Supposing it is the power supply what signs should I be looking for in the bios voltages and there any way to be sure without completely changing out the psu? I could put mine in there but removing mine from my pc and putting it in his would involve a fair amount of effort and I don't have much free time
m
l
Related resources
January 27, 2011 1:49:58 PM

Ok so I replaced the power supply with mine and it still shutting off after 10min or so and then if you turn it back on it crashes again and again at shorter intervals. It's not overheating I watched the temps in the bios and its not the OS or drives because its shutting down in the bios as well. Any help is greatly appreciated
m
l
January 28, 2011 11:18:48 PM

Anybody?
m
l
!