Sign in with
Your question

I7-2630qm vs. i7-870

Last response: in CPUs
April 13, 2011 7:54:31 PM

Hello,
I am buying an All in One . HP has
a new system with i7-870. Sony has a
new system with i7-2630QM. i7-870 has a higher clock spec compared to i7-2630QM. I am getting tempted with i7-2630QM Sandy Bridge.
I am getting more of a Computer for the same price with HP System.
I would appreciate if anyone can offer suggestions. My e-mail mgud@comcast.net

More about : 2630qm 870

April 14, 2011 2:54:49 AM

if you want mobile..get the laptop..if your gonna be at home most times..get the desktop..i would get the laptop since its newer tech and the new processor is in the laptop..more energy efficient..and possibly on par, or better than the desktop
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
a b α HP
April 14, 2011 3:01:36 AM

What do you use the pc for, what are the rest of the specs?
m
l
Related resources
April 14, 2011 4:30:28 AM

asantesoul said:
if you want mobile..get the laptop..if your gonna be at home most times..get the desktop..i would get the laptop since its newer tech and the new processor is in the laptop..more energy efficient..and possibly on par, or better than the desktop

He's comparing two all-in-one PC's. I'm guessing the Sony comes with a SB mobile processor....
m
l
April 14, 2011 4:40:08 AM

i had a feeling..i wanted to edit but wasn't sure..i didn't know..my apologies OP
m
l
April 14, 2011 5:10:04 PM

majin ssj eric said:
He's comparing two all-in-one PC's. I'm guessing the Sony comes with a SB mobile processor....

Sony comes with SB i7-2730 QM Mobile Processor where as HP comes with i7-870 Lynnfield.
CNet benchmarked both All in ones and concluded HP with i7-870 has a better performance despite being
an older processor as it has a higher clock stock and with Turbo boost.

Both has 6GB to 8GB RAM options and VRAM options of 1GB or 2GB.
Sony has a Blu ray burner while HP has Blu ray player and DVD burner.
Sony, I guess has a better Webcam

L2, L3 Caches are different. I have to look them up.
Sony has 24" display while HP has 23" display

Primary Use of computer is as family All in one to be used for School Work, Some Gaming, Photo Editing,
Running Educational Software and general Entertainment (TV & Movies).
My goal is to provide a good all in one for my teenager to get more hands on with Educational Software applications
and also provide an option to have fun with Gaming and other Entertainment while we can keep an eye on.
m
l
April 14, 2011 7:56:02 PM

I suspected it may perform better than the new generation of mobile processors..but, I don't reacall seeing mobile cpu's inside all in ones....been out of the oem game for a while...if thats the case OP i would suggest the i7870...or, whichever is cheaper...do you know if the mobile processor has turbo boost? it should..what is the stock clocks? and do you know what it turbo's up to? if im not mistaken the i7870 comes at 2.6 or 2.8 ghz stock... perhaps use price as well as features to determine which one to get..they will perform almost the same..with the exception of some apps
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
a b α HP
April 14, 2011 8:07:44 PM

Not really all the specs I wanted to see, so i looked them up. Sony L Series vs HP Touchsmart 610? Both cpus look to be an overkill for your uses, but the 870 is a little more powerful, they're really close but the 2630qm looks to be half the power consumption. The 870 has higher clocks 2.9(3.6 turbo) vs 2(2.9) but the newer microarchitecture can still keep up. The HP has desktop components so the parts would be easier to replace or upgrade. The amount of vram doesn't indicate the performance of the graphics card, a 512mb could be better than a 2gb. The Sony has a 540m which is better than the 5570 of the hp but again they're really close. Both still an overkill for your uses except in games, where they both won't do well with the screens being 1080p. I think it comes down to price and other feautres as asantesoul said.

What is the reason of getting an all in one vs a regular desktop? The prices are twice that of a similar speced desktop.
m
l
!