How good is crash free bios?

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
thankfully i have not had to put this to the test yet. i'm wondering if this asus crash free bios is a 100% lock, ie. if bios updating fails, are you just 100% covered with this crash free bios? just shut the system down after failed bios, inster the dvd or the usb drive...and it's just going to automatically extract the old bios and get your system back up and running? this is 100% ? or this can also fail? thanks.

I've never heard of a BIOS that crashes unless you are updating it and your computer power's off...
If your BIOS failed to load then you wouldn't be able to use your USB or DVD drive. The only way I know of a backup BIOS being available is when the motherboard has 2 BIOS chips. One is the real one that is used all the time and the other is incase of an emergency/BIOS failure.

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
yea i saw that on the maximus board. look at the name though "crash free"...i was guessing this worked similarly to some of the overclocking fail-safe mechanisms. i've seen bios failures (without losing power). it's been quite a few years, but i've seen it.

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
From what I have seen the term "Crash Free BIOS" is used as a method of recovering from a failed OC attempt. The only way I know of to recover from a failed BIOS update is to get a new Bios memory chip or to have a backup chip built onto the mobo.

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
no offense but you should read the book then. the crash free bios is embedded directly into the bios update section of the manual. furthermore, it states, "a recovery tool that allows you to restore the bios file when it fails or gets *corrupted* during the updating process".