Direct x10 on xp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejcelis

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
does upgrading from dx9 - dx10 improves fps on gaming?

coz i found earlier that i can upgrade my direct x9.0c to direct x10. but i'm still in doubt of upgrading it since i don't know what will be the effects on my games.

currently, i am playing medal of honor (2010) and crysis on medium graphics @ 1024x768, yet it was still laggy (on some parts of the game).

my OS is windows xp sp3 and my gpu is Palit 9500gt 512mb 128bit (OCed to the ff. settings: core: 450-585, memory: 400-522, shader: 1125-1400), memory - apacer 2gb RAM.

thanks for your answer :D

Solution

Like I said, it's not quite that simple.

If the game you are playing is able to take advantage of DX10's performance enhancements, but not add visual improvements, DX10 can be faster. However, the majority of the time, if a developer adds DX10 support, they do so to add visual improvements, resulting in lower FPS.
This isn't a straight forward answer. DX10, when performing the same tasks at the same visual quality of DX9, is an performance boost. However, most the time the only reason to write the game for DX10 is to improve visual quality, which will result in lower FPS.

So, generally speaking, DX10 code paths usually hurt FPS and increases visual quality.

Like I said, it's not quite that simple.

If the game you are playing is able to take advantage of DX10's performance enhancements, but not add visual improvements, DX10 can be faster. However, the majority of the time, if a developer adds DX10 support, they do so to add visual improvements, resulting in lower FPS.

Solution

ejcelis

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010

so that's why some of the dx10 users are saying that their high end games became faster. thanks for clarifying. :)

but some found ways to install dx10 on xp. here's the link. :)
http://www.techmixer.com/install-directx-10-on-xp-with-directx10-rc2-pre-fix-3/

thanks for your time guys. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.