Your question
Solved

Intel i7 2600k and quicksync?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Intel i7
Last response: in CPUs
April 14, 2011 2:56:28 AM

hey, so im just wondering, i read that if you have and intel2600k/2500k it has quicksync which is much faster than ati stream/cuda/cpu, but also it says that if you have a pci graphics card you cant use quick sync, so im wondering, if i disable my pci slot in bios, (if i had an i7) would i then be able to use the integrated graphics for transcoding, also is the quality anygood?, i noticed Cuda is usually bad, ati stream is decent, but not perfect.

More about : intel 2600k quicksync

a b à CPUs
April 14, 2011 9:25:50 AM

If you're using a P67 board, then you won't be able to access the integrated GPU at all. If you use an H67 board, you won't be able to overclock the K series processors. Boards utilizing Lucid Virtu would be able to use both.

The best encodes usually come from the CPU, but quick sync comes pretty close. Just weigh which one is more important to you.
m
l
April 14, 2011 5:12:14 PM

You're better off not overclocking and using a H67 board (as of now) to use the QuickSync. Yes the QuickSync implementation is far better than the other competitors (for the money).
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 190 à CPUs
April 14, 2011 5:43:50 PM

The Intel® Core™ I7 and I5 “K” series processors have the HD 3000 graphics which are better than the HD 2000 graphics on the “non-K” processors. Because of the improved graphics the Intel Quick Sync will perform better in digital encoding tasks. At this time because the P67 boards don’t have the ability to tap into the on processor graphics you wouldn’t be able to take advantage on the Intel Quick Sync technology on those boards. Now with the H67 and Q67 board you should be able to take advantage of the Quick Sync technology from the on processor graphics.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
a c 125 à CPUs
April 14, 2011 6:46:10 PM

From reviews around the internets (there ain't many of them) that I have seen there is not a discernible difference between HD2k & HD3k in Quick Sync.
m
l
April 14, 2011 7:36:45 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
The Intel® Core™ I7 and I5 “K” series processors have the HD 3000 graphics which are better than the HD 2000 graphics on the “non-K” processors. Because of the improved graphics the Intel Quick Sync will perform better in digital encoding tasks. At this time because the P67 boards don’t have the ability to tap into the on processor graphics you wouldn’t be able to take advantage on the Intel Quick Sync technology on those boards. Now with the H67 and Q67 board you should be able to take advantage of the Quick Sync technology from the on processor graphics.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Hi Christian, would the HD3000 be any better in doing NON 3D tasks? Its the same question I have in my thread below which is unanswered as yet.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/303162-10-hd2000-i7...
m
l
April 15, 2011 2:12:15 AM

Quote:
^ What he said..........

if u want both, u'll have to wait for Z68 boards

i remember i read somewhere, but i forgot the site/link that there will possibly be a bios update for the H/P boards that will unlock quicksync/ or OC ability on the proper board, is that true?
m
l
April 15, 2011 3:43:42 AM

also if i cant use quicksync then would the i7 2600k (not oc) encode faster than an amd 640, currently converting mkv to wmv, h.264/mp4/ any other video file format takes at least 3 at 1080p resolutions, and usually like 5+ for 10k bitrate
m
l
April 15, 2011 8:21:40 PM

Best answer selected by kilerz.
m
l
!