HD 5770 Idle always at 400Mhz/1200Mhz..Pls help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2010
Hi All,

My XFX Hd 5770 is not overclocked but it always idles at 400mhz/1200mhz which gives the temp 56C at 35% fan speed, When its under load it reaches 72C with 100% fan speed at 850mhz/1200mhz..

Ive seen in some threads that it normally idles at 157mhz/300mhz which will be much cooler..

Ive installed the latest catalyst driver 10.10, Can someone pls tell me if this is ok or should i change any setting in order to achieve that idle temp?

Thanks for your help..

Aug 11, 2010
I couldnt find any BIOS updates in xfx website for this card.. Yes its happening from day 1..Previously i installed the older version which came with the installation cd.but the temp remains the same..

http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/graphiccards/HD%205000series/5770.aspx

my card is the model which is in second row.

by the way my case is a mid tower which has 1 front intake fan and 1 exhaust and 2 side intake which runs at very low speed(its faulty, ill change the side fans soon)..all are 80mm fans..

Do you think the hot temp is due to that? but be that as it may, why should the memory clocks show always as 400/1200? If the temp go down to say 35C will the memory readings also get low? pls clarify..

Because im thinking only because of this memory readings 400/1200 the temps are high...so if we bring down the memory the temps will be fine right?

Those temps really aren't to be concerned about.

However, if you really dislike them, I believe your only recourse is to use older drivers. The newer drivers, going back a couple months, stopped having the cards idle as low, because it caused issues with dual monitors.

Aug 11, 2010
Ok, Ill do the things you have adviced..Im from India..

But wont i miss some new stability fixes, updates by installing the older version 10.3? Do you really think its because of the driver version?

You might, you might not. If you have issues, use the newer drivers. Those temps are not a problem, the card can easily handle them. Until the 5 series, many of their cards idled close to your load temps.

Aug 11, 2010
Ok, yes i agree, My ambient temp is about 29C..cant help much abt it..lol,,

I have just seen that the new catalyst version is 10.11 which includes the fix exactly what i want..

Resolved Known Issues for the Windows 7 Operating System :
-> Enabling Overdrive through the Catalyst™ Control Center for single display systems no longer results in GPU clocks running at high levels in non-GPU intensive scenarios.

Ill try that and check it if it really fixes..by the way thanks for your prompt response guys..I appreciate it..

1 more simple question..In 3D settings of Catalyst do we need to default the factory settings or we should manually adjust the AA,AF etc..for every game? because its very confusing for me since i play some older games and im not sure whether this manual adjustments will give better performance..

Use the default settings and leave those be. In game settings are almost always more effecient than overriding options.

However, if a game doesn't offer a particular setting in game, then I'd advise making a profile for that game with the settings you want to use.

Aug 11, 2010
Actually im at office right now :) Ill go home today and install the new drivers and check if the memory readings go low..

But my CPU temp is a big deal to me as i have mentioned in that thread..

G

Yes if you overclock the 10.10 idles in 400Mh and 1350Mh the memory for example it was really annoying in 10.11 it idles at 400Mhz 300Mhz also in 2d if the load is to high the clock goes to maximum and this is giving huge boost in benchmarks also during gaming in some games if the load is not to hight it idles and it is nice I was playing StarCraft Broodwar for hours and when I finished the temperature was 25 C only.

namansingh

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
Use MSI Afterburner, open msiafterburner.cfg with notepad and change "EnableUnofficialOverclock=0" to 1. Now you can adjust speeds to whatever you want. However, this will disable powerplay which brings clocks down to 400/1200 but you can resolve that issue with 2d/3d profiles from Afterburner.....
Shift the clocks to 850/1200 and click apply and your problem is solved.....

Spartanrevenge

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
Personally i have set up my 5770 with 2 profiles in CCC, Graphics High and Graphics Low. Graphics High is overclocked almost to maximum and raises fan to 100% (deafening, but i wear a headset so i cant hear it during games). Graphics Low underclocks to the minimum and lowers the fan to a very low speed. I find this works very well for me, perhaps you might want to try it?

Status
Not open for further replies.