Next challenge game!

Last response: in Video Games
July 20, 2005 12:33:45 PM

I am currently designing my next challenge game. Like Ring of Death
and its variants, it will be a no allies game. This game will,
however, have more addons. I am currently taking suggestions for the
addons used. It will definitely have Orbiter, TVCR2, Score Blank, and
No Allies. As it is a challenge game expect a much harder time to win
it. The end will be either last man standing or vote by the last 3
players. If you aren't into long term games, or games with addons this
is definitely not for you. I am considering the use of PHost to allow
each player the choice of the race they wish to play, but only if all
players can agree to it, otherwise it will be latest host. The time
schedule will be 3/wk or "all turns in" for the entire game. I am
looking at a very late August or early September start.

You can email me if you think you would be interested. I will be
playing in the game and I already have a host that has volunteered to
host it.

Ken.
[Relic]

More about : challenge game

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 10:13:22 PM

Orbiter moves all the planets every turn in a circle around a center
point.

LK's description of TVCR2 was TKF on steriods (guess it won't ever
be an olympic event).

Basically TVCR2 is a controlled mass combat. Unlike the go in and
slug it out till you die system, TVCR2 has more finess. With the
default settings for freighters they try to run away, and for warships
they will go in fire their weapons and move away to recharge and repeat
that until they win or are destroyed.

The big battleships and heavy carries aren't as all powerful as they
are in the normal vcr combat where one battleship or heavy carrier vs a
half dozen medium or small ships could actually defeat them all. Since
all the ships at any XY set to fight are throw into battle all at once
you must end up using fleet combat strategy rather than single heavy
ships strategy.

It is probably a lot easier to experience than it is too explain.
If you want to see how the default settings work, try setting up a
crazy intermix all cplayer game and see how the battles go. Of course
you could play around with the battle sim too.

Installing TVCR2 is simply unzipping the file into your vga planets
directory.

Reading the TVCR2 guide helps out a lot (some hosts have modified
[aka nicer looking] versions than my original, and I will post here
what I posted on the rcworld forums on how to get started with making
your first battle sim...

*****

Hope this helps out, it is hard to write good docs when you get little
or no input when you ask what need to be improved.

Here's a step by step for a Gorbie vs 2 Darkwings...

run "tactview"

select directory

select "configure"

go to the bottom "effect control"

select "command delay"

increase the value till it seems a decent switch rate, the faster the
cpu the higher you will need to go. I expect most would be at least
125-150

select "exit"

select "simlulation mode"

select "race 3 / birds"

select "true hull"

select "Darkwing"

edit Darkwings torps and settings to what you want

select "clone"

select "exit"

select "race 8 / evil empire"

select "true hull"

select "gorbie"

edit gorbie settings to what you want

select "exit"

select "create battle" <- Very important

select "view battle"

that will bring up a list of ships you can go through with the little
blue arrows

when you want to see the battle hit ESC and it will show the starting
positions and data for the first ship or planet. When this is
displayed you can press any key to start the battle.

Any time you modify something for a battle make sure you use "create
battle" to update the sim data file before starting a battle or viewing
a battle.

*****

After you view that first battle see what happens when you set the
Darkwings to backstab tactics. :)

Hope that helps you get started to check out TVCR2.

Ken.
July 21, 2005 1:33:22 AM

the_one_relic@yahoo.com wrote:
> I am currently designing my next challenge game. Like Ring of Death
> and its variants, it will be a no allies game. This game will,
> however, have more addons. I am currently taking suggestions for the
> addons used. It will definitely have Orbiter, TVCR2, Score Blank, and
> No Allies. As it is a challenge game expect a much harder time to win
> it. The end will be either last man standing or vote by the last 3
> players. If you aren't into long term games, or games with addons this
> is definitely not for you. I am considering the use of PHost to allow
> each player the choice of the race they wish to play, but only if all
> players can agree to it, otherwise it will be latest host. The time
> schedule will be 3/wk or "all turns in" for the entire game. I am
> looking at a very late August or early September start.
>
> You can email me if you think you would be interested. I will be
> playing in the game and I already have a host that has volunteered to
> host it.

Orbiter is the addon where the whole universe spins? Can anyone shed
some light on how it is to play with TVCR2?
Btw, if I were to play in the game, I would pretty sure be the one to
veto the usage of Phost.

Matthias
!