imperium2335

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
Hi,

I have just ordered a dir-655 router, and something that I noticed is that my phone line rj11 wont fit the rj45 socket on the new router, so i'm going to buy a rj11 to rj45 converter.

Will this work or do I need to buy a modem which the router connects to?

I'm currently using a BT HomeHub that lets me plug the rj11 straight in.

Thanks in advance,

Tom.

G

"i'm going to buy a rj11 to rj45 converter.

Will this work"

Don't even attempt it.

You either need a modem or, more helpfully a router with a built in modem (like the BT Homehub). If the Homehub is that biggish white or black unit with facility to add a cordless phone, what's wrong with it ?

imperium2335

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
It's pretty crap tbh, cuts out often, and doesn't have the wireless range I need, so bought the dir-655. Will any old cheap modem be ok to use with it?

Thanks.

G

"can i connect the dir 655 to the bthomehub with an ethernet cable and basicly use the homehub as just a modem?"

Yes. But read this first: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1080

I have to say I rather agree about the Homehub -- I have one found in the garbage and it seems to periodically lose any changes I make to the settings. I've played with other Thomsom units and they were unpredictable too.

You may be happier dumping the Homehub and asking your dealer to swap the new Dlink for an integrated router/modem oif the same brand (or preferably Netgear which are simpler to set up).

imperium2335

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
Do you think one of those BT Voyager modems that you can get for around 5 pounds would do the job or would it bring the performance down in a big way?

G

A separate modem does add complication.

But I'm sure anything with an ethernet socket will do -- obviously avoid those with only USB.

G

My only caution would be that the user name and password may be embedded in the Modem -- make sure you can reflash it if necessary to clear them.