Sign in with
Your question

Terrible FiOS speeds

Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 19, 2010 2:22:41 PM

I've had their 25/25 for sometime now, but just upgraded to their ultimate bundle, which is 35/35.

My laptop always got great speeds, minus a small drop off. On my desktop, it's a different story. I'm getting anywhere from 3-10mbps download, and similar upload give or take a few. I probably don't have the best wireless adapater. My Verizon router is an Actiontec MI424WR, I've had it since 2007. I moved the PC out a little bit, and moved the antenna around and the speed increased a little bit. But the PC can't stay this far out. Verizon did everything they could over the phone, so they're sending me a newer router. If that doesn't help, they'll have to send someone out.

Not sure if I made the right choice here... I just ordered an Asus USB-N13 adapter; mainly because I can use the front USB ports, and less hassle moving the PC out to readjust the antenna if it gets moved. :whistle: 

Should I have gone with the PCI-E version? I can't cancel the order now, but was told I could send it back for a refund.

Is there anything else that could be a factor in my slow speeds?

More about : terrible fios speeds

September 19, 2010 9:23:27 PM

what model is you old wireless adapter?
September 20, 2010 2:30:25 PM

I just built the desktop, so it's my first... The one on my laptop I'm not sure... what ever they put in their FX series.
Related resources
September 20, 2010 5:47:32 PM

Are you using wireless on the deskop as well as the laptop? How far from the router is it? What's the wireless card on the desktkop?
September 20, 2010 6:24:45 PM

Wireless on the desktop and laptop, but not at the same time obviously. My desktop is about 20 feet away... The wireless card is the Rosewill that I linked too. I've got a first gen Actiontec Verizon router, the rep said I'll probably get Rev G which has N. The new adapter I ordered has N as well. How would I run on N?
September 20, 2010 6:56:28 PM

You should be able to use them both wireless at the same time, why do you think you can't?

If both the router and wireless are on N, they will connect at N by default. Unless you change how the router operates.

The issue is that the speeds you ordered right now are more than the max speeds your wireless can handle. Once you upgrade to N, you will see faster speeds, should be up to the max of your connection.
September 21, 2010 12:34:17 AM

Turns out Verizon doesn't have Wireless N routers in my area yet. :fou: 

Still awaiting my replacement and adapter. Tracking shows both of them coming tomorrow.

Once my adapter is upgraded, do you think I could see faster speeds? I mean the slow down is either on my end, or theirs. I might just say screw it and have a tech come out and hook up another jack and run the modem wired to my PC, and wireless for my STB/VOD.
September 21, 2010 1:42:20 PM

nochancemrp said:
Turns out Verizon doesn't have Wireless N routers in my area yet. :fou: 

Still awaiting my replacement and adapter. Tracking shows both of them coming tomorrow.

Once my adapter is upgraded, do you think I could see faster speeds? I mean the slow down is either on my end, or theirs. I might just say screw it and have a tech come out and hook up another jack and run the modem wired to my PC, and wireless for my STB/VOD.

You don't need a Verizon router, just use their modem and connect any router you want to it.
September 21, 2010 2:15:30 PM

I've been reading how to do this. But I've also got FiOS TV, so there might be an issue.

!