My CPU OC prime 95 test crashed

kilerz

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
i just ran prime 95 for less than 10 mins im using an amd athlon II x640 OC 3.3ghz and the temps rose up to 95 DEG C and the computer rebooted, so im wondering does than mean i should reduce it, ive been running at 3.3 for a while and ive never gone over 70 C during any video decode/transcode/ gaming.

Solution
Stock coolers aren't meant for overclocking. Most of them can barely keep the temps down when the CPU is at stock speed.

Prime95 stresses the CPU much more than normal programs do, which is why it rebooted due to excessive temps despite the fact that you've never seen temps over 70ºC during normal operation.

Technically, you can keep running it like it is now as long as you don't really stress the CPU. You've already said your normal programs work fine.

Would I run it like that? No ... but I'm a stickler for such things.

kilerz

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
im usingg stock cooler/ heatsink which to me seems horrible considering its an 80mm fan/ with a heatsink about the same size as the fan. its really small, compared to my original thermaltake tr2

Stock coolers aren't meant for overclocking. Most of them can barely keep the temps down when the CPU is at stock speed.

Prime95 stresses the CPU much more than normal programs do, which is why it rebooted due to excessive temps despite the fact that you've never seen temps over 70ºC during normal operation.

Technically, you can keep running it like it is now as long as you don't really stress the CPU. You've already said your normal programs work fine.

Would I run it like that? No ... but I'm a stickler for such things.

Solution

kilerz

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
well i i would increase it, but once i hit 3.5ghz its reboots even with low temps, i plan on upgrading soon enough so i dont care if it dies on my early, as long as it holds out until bulldozer gets here

a4rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
If you are looking to overclock, get a good aftermarket CPU cooler. Stock coolers are poor at best and overclocking of any sort requires better hardware. Get the Cooler Master 212 Hyper+. Good performance with superb value for money.