Sign in with
Your question

Don't know which Sound Card to get

Last response: in Components
April 14, 2011 4:55:30 AM

I recently got an MSI X58 Pro-E Motherboard with a built-in sound card. When I try to play some of my games, the sound doesn't work in cinematic cutscenes. I heard that if I buy a sound card, it'd fix that. The problem is that I don't know what's compatible with my motherboard (I just started learning about computers). I'm looking for any sound card that's at least decent and in the price range of around $50.

More about : sound card

April 14, 2011 7:26:10 AM

post your system configure first.....
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
April 14, 2011 12:07:28 PM

Quote:
What will make the difference? Maybe if your on windows xp then the soundcard would have done something not on windows 7. Days of soundcard buying for ddl is over doesn't work that way anymore.

1: I doubt the OP is using digital output in this case, so this is invalid.
2: Your information is WRONG, as has been explained to you many times before, by myself and others.

To the OP: its unlikely the onboard sound itself is the cause of sound dropping out, its FAR more likely to be an issue with teh game in question. Make sure your audio drivers [almost certainly a Realtek HD chip] are up to date.
m
l
April 14, 2011 6:56:51 PM

My apologies first of all, like I said I'm new to computers.

Motherboard: MSI X58 Pro-E / Onboard sound card is : Realtek ALC889

the game I was playing was Final Fantasy XIV, when they play ingame cinematics the character voices wont go off though the background sound would (Like the footsteps of the characters, etc.).

I'm not sure if buying a sound card would work or DL'ing a driver would, I was just told before that getting a sound card would fix it.

If it's a software problem, how would I fix it? I was looking for drivers but I couldn't find any.
m
l
April 15, 2011 3:29:01 AM

I've DL'd the DirectX and it says I have it already. For the intel drivers, there aren't any for the soundcard. The only driver I could find for my computer was the Ethernet driver. It says that it doesn't support my onboard sound card.
m
l
April 15, 2011 3:52:42 AM

change ingame sound output to stereo/2.0 it may fix it.
m
l
a c 117 V Motherboard
April 15, 2011 11:19:43 AM

Right from MSI website
Realtek High Definition Audio Driver
Description • Realtek High Definition Audio System Software
• WinXP Driver Version: 5.10.0.6316
• Windows 7/Vista Version: 6.0.1.6316
Version N/A
Type On-Board Audio Drivers Release Date 2011-03-11
OS Win7 64, Win7 32, Vista 64, Vista 32, XP 64, XP 32
Download realtek_hd_all_mb.zip File Size 107.97 MB

Plus the Intel driver Utility does identify Realtek HD audio driver updates.
I know because i use it to see if mine are up to date.
I have two boards with ALC889.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 15, 2011 12:18:44 PM

Quote:
ma I?
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/li [...] 85%29.aspx
Did you know ms don't support dx sound anymore. They're not going to update it either. If your game doesn't include that feature what a sound card offers your not going to get it. On xp yes but not windows 7

Wrong. You won't get HARDWARE support via directsound, but you still get hardware accelerated audio via ASIO, OpenAL, or other accelerated API's. Directsound is basically a software interface now that never touches a soundcards driver layer [it just feeds the output to the selected device], other audio API's still go though a soundcards drivers, the enhancements are just applied via software now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista_audio_archit...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Audio_Architectu...

Quote:
The higher level APIs such as the Wavexxx APIs and DirectSound use shared mode, which results in pre-mixed PCM audio that is sent to the driver in a single format (in terms of sample rate, bit depth and channel count). This format is configurable by the end user through Control Panel.

After passing through WASAPI, all host-based audio processing, including custom audio processing, can take place (sample rate conversion, mixing, effects). Host-based processing modules are referred to as Audio Processing Objects, or APOs. All these components operate in user mode. The only portion of this architecture that runs in kernel mode is the audio driver (which contains the Port Class driver, the vendor Miniport driver and the vendor HAL). The Windows Kernel Mixer (KMixer) is completely gone. There is no direct path from DirectSound to the audio drivers; DirectSound and MME are emulated as Session instances. Since the whole point of DirectSound acceleration is to allow hardware to process unmixed audio content, DirectSound cannot be accelerated in this audio model. APIs such as ASIO and OpenAL are not affected.

Quote:

Then
Question
I have read that unlike Windows XP , Windows Vista only supports basic sound via DirectX . If that is the case, I play PC games written for Windows XP , so should I avoid upgrading to Vista ?
Answer
April 15, 2007. - In Windows Vista , hardware acceleration is no longer available for audio effects in DirectSound3D ( DS3D ), which is the sound component of DirectX , because Windows Vista has done away with the hardware audio abstraction layer that Windows XP uses. In short, Windows Vista can only provide basic sound for PC games that were written to use DS3D .
Windows Vista uses the new Universal Audio Architecture ( UAA ), which provides the developers of games greater flexibility and stability than the hardware audio abstraction layer.
If you play games written for Windows XP and you have a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi sound card, you can download a utility for it called ALchemy that converts DS3D instructions to OpenAL , which works in Windows Vista . If you don't have that sound card, it is advisable to stick with Windows XP until this compatibility problem has been resolved. You should check the site of the manufacturer of your PC's sound card for updated device drivers or a workaround.

Proving my earlier point: While Directsound is cut off from hardware acceleration, OpenAL is NOT. Hence Alchemy, which is basically a wrapper that takes Directsound [software] and wraps it to OpenAL [hardware] calls. Those OpenAL calls are still hardware accelerated.

Quote:

March, 2011. - Question: Can Dolby Digital Live be used with an old Creative Lab's or other makes of sound card?
Answer: Dolby Digital Live ( DDL ) is not a hardware feature of a sound device, it relies on the software encoding performed by the sound card's device driver. It is supported by sound-card drivers from Creative Labs and in some device drivers for audio devices made by manufacturers such as Asus , Auzentech and Realtek . Creative Lab's current licence with Dolby ensures that most of its new sound cards have suitable drivers.
http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/Sound.htm
You were saying?

And? DDL is still done, just like always, via software. You still need it to upmix a 2.0 track to 5.1 for transmit over digital SPDIF. While an individual program [say Winamp] can use a program like AC3filter to do the encoding in realtime, those programs typically can NOT work on other audio streams [say, within a game], so in those cases, a soundcard is still needed to handle the encoding to dolby/dts formats, and will continue to do so until Realtek adds native DDL support to its chipsets.
m
l
!