Sign in with
Your question

Quick Mobo and Graphics Card compatibility question

Last response: in Systems
January 18, 2011 7:37:31 AM

A number of years ago I bought a graphics card, was unable to get it to work, and after months of contacting technical support I was informed that the card was not compatible with the motherboard (even though the slots were correct - this was AGP 8, I believe)

As such, I always like to try and check before making purchases in order to avoid such problems in the future.

I currently have a XFX Radeon HD 5850, but am wanting to upgrade my motherboard and processor.

I was thinking of going with the Gigabyte H55M-UD2H (choosing one with 4 memory slots rather than 2) and an i5 760 for the CPU.

Does anyone know of any problems relating to this configuration, or am I safe to make my order?

Cheers.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2011 10:29:11 AM

should not be an issue as long as the MB has at least one 16 lane PCI-e graphics slot....

a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2011 10:31:39 AM

Everything will be fine there, might i suggest you get a P55 iteration of that motherboard instead of H55, it may be a little more expensive but you'll lose the unnecessary visual output ports that you won't be able to use with the 760 anyway. Also, you'll get more features on the board and better OC'ing ability.
Related resources
January 18, 2011 11:15:15 AM

Thanks for the advice - I've having some trouble finding a good comparison between the H55 and P55. I'm not much of an overclocker myself, so that particular aspect doesn't matter too much to me. Could you tell me (or point me to something stating) the difference in features between the two?
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2011 11:18:42 AM

I don't know how tight your budget is, but have you considered eyeing up the i5 2500k (or even one of the cheaper varieties) you will probably find it is not too much more expensive and is modern tech which will outperform the old i5s
January 18, 2011 11:35:05 AM

I hadn't considered that, so I'll take a look. To be honest, I was mainly acting on the recommendations from the latest (UK) PC Gamer.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2011 11:58:56 AM

at Scan I believe the i5 760 is £150, the OEM version of i5 2500K is £168
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2011 12:00:16 PM

Indeed, Sandy Bridge would be the best way to go if you have the money. I was merely advising on your current situation and nothing else.
January 18, 2011 12:07:49 PM

I just checked out some price regarding the i5 760 and i5 2500 about 10.00 more i52500k about 25.00 more this is US @newegg .the mobos for what you may be considering for either i5 760 and i5 2500 are very close $$ wise.

you are referring to Gigabyte H55M-UD2H which is mini atx ? or P version in mini-atx ?

you did not mention what HD 's you have note the 1155 socket mobos not have an onboard 1 x ATA133 2 Dev.

if that is a non issue for you then may be best to go with i5 2500k platform a bit better future proofing and what ram do you plan on using ?
might as well check this all out if possible
January 18, 2011 12:16:08 PM

rrplay said:
you are referring to Gigabyte H55M-UD2H which is mini atx ? or P version in mini-atx ?

My current mobo is mini atx, and the H55M is (I'm not too sure about the P55, though)
Quote:
you did not mention what HD 's you have note the 1155 socket mobos not have an onboard 1 x ATA133 2 Dev.

The HDDs and DVD drive are all SATA.
Quote:
if that is a non issue for you then may be best to go with i5 2500k platform a bit better future proofing and what ram do you plan on using ?
might as well check this all out if possible

I was going to look at ram in a bit more detail, but I can get an 8gig kit for the H55M for about £75 (and then I can later add another 8 in)

The i5 2500k might give some future proofing, but considering how rarely I upgrade, by the time I want to go another round I imagine sockets will have changed once again, so unless there is a significant performance improvement I think I might stick with the cheaper option.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2011 5:34:56 PM

The performance from the i5 2500k is impressive, as is the Overclockability. To me futureproofing is not about being able to reuse mob and socket, its about the PC being powerful enough to last many years without holding me back on my gaming quality. The i5 2500k will certainly help do that for a minimal additional expense
January 18, 2011 8:06:51 PM

well it look like you definitely got quite a few really great opinions
sorry about me not being able to do the money conversions

if going with an i5 1156 socket and saving a bit now is going work the best for you great you sure to notice the new rig's performance

if taking a bit more time and spending a bit more to Sandy that's your decision too

a friend of mine remarked "I still deserve the right to change my mind 5 more times before my purchase'

so maybe best to chill a bit .....get more info if needed before you decide what's best for you :) 
January 18, 2011 8:28:43 PM

asteldian said:
The performance from the i5 2500k is impressive, as is the Overclockability. To me futureproofing is not about being able to reuse mob and socket, its about the PC being powerful enough to last many years without holding me back on my gaming quality. The i5 2500k will certainly help do that for a minimal additional expense

That is certainly a convincing argument.

Both the h55 and p55 use LGA1156 so should be compatible with the sandy bridge should I choose.

h55m-ud2h = £65
p55m-ud2 = £92

i5 760 = £131
i5 2500k = £175.44 (I think this is the correct processor)

The comparison on the Gigabyte website made it obvious that the p55 was better, but not by very much (an extra 4 usb ports is quite nice, but not required - I can just buy an adaptor for that)

I am definitely tempted to get the Sandy Bridge over the 760, but I'm not sure I can justify the extra £27 for the P55 (plus, searching all of my usual sources, the P55 is only stocked by one of them) - I think I'd rather earmark some of that cash for an 8 gig ram kit.
January 18, 2011 10:13:07 PM

Tried to edit, but wasn't allowed:

Thinking about it for a moment, is the Sandy Bridge worth it, considering I'll keep the graphics card?

I've read a couple of less technical articles about them, but I'm still a bit confused on the matter.
January 19, 2011 12:36:44 AM

aradiel said:
That is certainly a convincing argument.

Both the h55 and p55 use LGA1156 so should be compatible with the sandy bridge should I choose.

h55m-ud2h = £65
p55m-ud2 = £92

i5 760 = £131
i5 2500k = £175.44 (I think this is the correct processor)

The comparison on the Gigabyte website made it obvious that the p55 was better, but not by very much (an extra 4 usb ports is quite nice, but not required - I can just buy an adaptor for that)

I am definitely tempted to get the Sandy Bridge over the 760, but I'm not sure I can justify the extra £27 for the P55 (plus, searching all of my usual sources, the P55 is only stocked by one of them) - I think I'd rather earmark some of that cash for an 8 gig ram kit.

Quote:
Both the h55 and p55 use LGA1156 so should be compatible with the sandy bridge should I choose

no sir they do not ..sandy bridge i5 2500k socket 1155 is not compatible with h55 or p55
you would need something like GA-H67M-D2 for i5 2500k note the H67in the model info

and you want 8GB memory for either platform correct ?

January 19, 2011 7:25:11 AM

Hmm, the H67M has two memory slots, still with a maximum of 16 gigs, but to reach that I'd need to buy two 8 gig sticks, which Crucial don't do (other mfrs might, though)
Having some super high speed sata connectors is interesting, but they aren't all like that, and I'm unsure if that would cause compatibility issues with my hdds and dvd-rom (would they have a cap of 3g/s?)
I suppose having two slots would be less fiddly than 4, but finding the ram is harder, and so unless I could find a good single stick, I'd eventually upgrade the ram meaning the kit I buy now would be wasted.

In that case I might go for the i5 760 instead (though I reserve the right to change my mind 3 more times :p )
January 19, 2011 11:08:37 AM

Check out Corsair makes 2X8 GB sticks you would have to check compatibility with Gigabyte
see mem config at Corasir

glad you liked my previous remark :)  OK just 3 NO ! ..maybe 5 more times

Cheers

January 19, 2011 11:16:06 AM

rrplay said:
Check out Corsair makes 2X8 GB sticks you would have to check compatibility with Gigabyte
see mem config at Corasir

glad you liked my previous remark :)  OK just 3 NO ! ..maybe 5 more times

Cheers

Though they manufacture those sticks, they aren't compatible with the H67M-D2, apparently.

The price of the board is nicely between the h55m and p55m, though. I'll see if any other mfrs make compatible 8 gig sticks, and then make a decision... then change it again.
January 20, 2011 7:22:44 AM

Right: Corsair, Kingston and Crucial - none of them make 8 gig sticks for the h67m-ud2, so I think I'll stick with the i5 760 and probably go for the p55m.
January 23, 2011 2:18:21 PM

A further complication caused by the future proofing, I think it is worthwhile that I invest in usb 3.0 rather than just 2.0 - a tempting board is the GA-P55-USB3, since it seems to be like the P55M-UD2 but with a firewire port missing and 2 USB 3.0 slots - plus, it's just about the same price.

I'd need to buy a new case, but that was on my mind anyway.

Does anyone have any advice on that front?
January 24, 2011 11:48:57 AM

Ok, I got an email from aria which convinced me to buy now.

I looked at the p55 usb3 and the i5 760, but then I bought these instead:

Intel Core i5-2500 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor - Retail (£ 131.99 + vat = 158) - Another thread said that since I'm using a graphics card, the better gpu for the 2500k is irrelevant, and so I'd need to decide based on overclocking. I don't overclock, myself.

Gigabyte GA-H67MA-UD2H Intel H67 (Socket 1155) DDR3 PCI-Express Motherboard (£ 83.49 + vat = 100) - Same price as the p55 was from them, but works with the sandy bridge. Crucial does 8 gig kits for it, which are also the same price as the memory for the p55, so it's all fine.

These were on special offer for the day. I also bought an Antec 300 case, so I'd have somewhere to put it.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2011 12:09:51 PM

I was going to say keep an eye on scan offers (or aria will do to) as i5 2500/ks are often on offer and the savings will make cost VERY similar to the i5 760 build. Glad you found a deal good for you.
Also, unless you do intense non gaming stuff you won't need more than 8 gig RAM with your build (games need no more than 4, so assuming this increases in the future, 8 would still be pleny)
January 24, 2011 3:39:58 PM

I do a lot of video editing as well as gaming, but with only 2 gigs it is painfully slow. I'll see what it's like with 8, with at least the possibility of getting more later.
January 25, 2011 7:17:58 PM

Most of the stuff arrived today, the RAM should arrive tomorrow, and I just put most parts together... I'm hoping the "thermal paste" thing is just a hangover from the previous status quo, as the cpu didn't come with anything to spread on it.
!