Sign in with
Your question

~$2000 SB build - now or wait for 3rd gen SSD

Last response: in Systems
January 18, 2011 9:46:50 AM

TL;DR at bottom

Hi folks,

I'm looking to build a new SB system. Have most of the components picked out, but I'm considering waiting to see the price/size of the new third gen Intel SSDs, or alternatively to likely get increased performance at the same price with the Micron C400.

First things first though; here's what I've got so far:

Approximate Purchase Date: That's the question. Immediately or March/April

Budget Range: Say $2000-2500. Don't have a hard number, but don't feel a need to waste money either.

System Usage: I do web development from home, so want something that multitasks well. No crazy rendering or anything though, so should be fine as long as I have plenty of RAM. Will also do some gaming and would like to crush easily handle any current or near future game without going overboard.

Parts Not Required: KB, mouse, speakers, monitors

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: ncix.com ideally; if not, newegg.ca

Country of Origin: Canada

Overclocking: A touch for fun, but keeping things Quiet is a larger concern

SLI or Crossfire: Perhaps in future

Monitor Resolution: Dual monitors - 1920x1200 + 1600x1200, may upgrade in future

Additional Comments: See below.

What I have so far:

Motherboard
Asus P8P67 Pro - $189.99

CPU
Intel 2500K - $238.99

Or splurge for the 2600K at $343, but this definitely seems the better deal.

Graphics
Powercolor Radeon HD 6950 - $300

This price is good until end of Jan. My choice was between 6950, 6970 and GTX-570. In the end I went with this one because I may upgrade to a 3-monitor setup at some point and it's nice to have the option to use one card. (And the 6950 should be plenty for any games in the near future. Eventually I can CF or upgrade if I need more.)

RAM
G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz 9-9-9 - $104
or
G.Skill Ripjaws 1333MHz 9-9-9 - $84
or
Mushkin 1333MHz 9-9-9 - $71 until Jan. 20

From everything I've read, (ie this, etc.) RAM is about the most useless place possible to spend extra money. Plus, any overclocking I do do will likely be using the multiplier. So that leans me toward the Mushin for that price. The only thing is, it's 1.65V and I do like the idea of the more efficient 1.5V stuff, even if I don't OC it. But then I'm at $84, and the 1600s are only 20 bucks more. :) 

Hoowever, I actually kinda like the understated look of the Mushkins, and it's likely stupid to pay almost 50% more for RAM that may show a performance increase of 5%. And the power difference will be tiny compared to the rest of the system. So Mushkin it is unless someone changes my mind.

CPU Cooler
Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B - $45.99

PSU:
Corsair Professional Series Gold AX750 CMPSU-750AX 750W ATX Fully Modular 80PLUS Gold - $179.99 today only

SSD:
Crucial RealSSD C300 - 256GB - $518.65

If I were buying today, that's what I would go for. I am extremely tempted though to see whether Intel comes out with larger capacities for the same price with its third gen (as has been rumored) or if I can get a C400 for cheaper when it comes out.

HDD:
Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB - $89.99 today only

Basically everything besides movies, music, and crap I never use will fit on the SSD, so this drive doesn't need to be fast. Plenty of storage and quiet is the goal, and this seems perfect, especially on sale!

Case:
Fractal Design Define R3 (Titanium) - $109.99.

For once it's nice to be in Canada, since NCIX is the only place you can get these atm. The case was actually the toughest decision for me. I have an Antec Solo now, which is great, but I want to try something different. I prefer the classy look to crazy gamer cases, and the R3 is both that and quiet. Not sure how I feel about the door; generally I prefer not to have them, but should be ok. Apparently doesn't have space behind it for most fan controllers though (in case I wanted to upgrade from their included one). And it will be a bit tight, but the HD-6960 should just fit. (If anyone can confirm that it'd be great.)

If the Obsidian 650D was out now, I would *seriously* consider that. I love the look of that case, and it has everything. (Including front USB3, which the R3 doesn't.) Its sound quality is unknown though, and it's not out 'till April. (Although if I'm waiting for the SSD anyway.....) A lot of the Lian Lis are also really nice and nice looking, although apparently all aluminum is actually not great for sound. And they cost twice as much as the R3; money probably better spent on other things.

Optical Drive:
8x Blu-Ray ROM plus DVD writer - $75.99

(Paying more for a 12x drive didn't seem to make much sense since I'll rarely use it.)

Total: $1824.57

TL;DR / Summary
In order of importance:
  • Is it worth waiting for the new third Gen SSDs? (I'm looking for 250GB or more.)
  • If I do wait, should I pick up any or all of the stuff above at its sale prices? (Mushkin RAM / HD-6960 / Corsair PSU / Caviar greens) Or do you expect I'll see better prices in the next month or two?
  • Anyone think it's worth it to get the better processor or RAM? I've got the money to spend, but don't want to just waste it.
  • Thoughts on other components?

Whew. I think that about covers it. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Edit: Looks like the OCZ Vertex 2 240GB is about $45 off right now. Not quite the performance of the C300, but $100 cheaper. Probably the better deal if I buy now? http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=53310&vpn=OC...
    January 18, 2011 9:56:52 AM

6950 will not crush future gaming titles; the GTX580 will.
    m
    l
    January 18, 2011 10:06:27 AM

mdd1963 said:
    6950 will not crush future gaming titles; the GTX580 will.

Fair enough. Perhaps 'crush' wasn't the ideal word. I did say 'near future' though. The only game I play much of at the moment is Starcraft 2, and I can almost crank it on my 4850, so I'm guessing the 6950 will at least crush it. :) 

The GTX-580 is obviously an awesome card, but the cheapest ones I see are in the $530 range - 76% more than my $300 6950. Whereas the performance increase I'd see is maybe.. 30%? Hence I figure I'd be better off to wait and add a second 6950 or upgrade to something else when a game comes out that requires it.

Plus, the 6950 supports three monitors, which a GTX-580 (or 570) doesn't.
    m
    l
    January 18, 2011 10:53:16 PM

Bump. Would really appreciate any input on my main points at the bottom. Thanks again!
    m
    l
    !