Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Digital sound pop noises

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
December 20, 2011 7:39:04 AM

Hi

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R.
It has an onboard sound card - Realtek ALC889A.

Analog sound works perfect.
Digital sound (either optical/coaxial) works but has pop noises aswell.

The noises appear usually when I start any software with sound (media player/winamp/games) after about a minute of silence.
When I start a sound, I hear a loud pop noise and then the sound plays normally.

The problem is not from my receiver since it works perfectly with other devices.

Thanks
Liran
a c 328 V Motherboard
December 20, 2011 9:08:12 AM

Whats your OS?
m
0
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
December 20, 2011 9:10:47 AM

I would remove the driver and restart and install latest from the Gigabyte's website.
m
0
l
Related resources
December 20, 2011 9:35:08 AM

Windows 7
I tried updating the bios and several drivers from the realtek and gigabyte websites.
m
0
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
December 20, 2011 9:38:27 AM

I had once issue like that on XP, nothing helped, only clean install and there was no issue anymore : )
m
0
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
December 20, 2011 9:39:54 AM

On the other hand, can u post list of your programs installed?

Maybe something is interfering, like some Skype or messenger type...
m
0
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
December 20, 2011 9:40:30 AM

BTW, do u have plugged in any headset or other devices?
m
0
l
December 20, 2011 2:49:22 PM

I have analog cables to my receiver. I just unplugged everything but the digital cable and will work with for a while to see if there is noise.

Here's a list of all the programs installed:
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/120/programs.jpg

Edit: The noises are still there
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
December 20, 2011 11:20:11 PM

Any background program running when playing media file?
m
0
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
December 20, 2011 11:23:43 PM

Liran said:
I have analog cables to my receiver. I just unplugged everything but the digital cable and will work with for a while to see if there is noise.

Here's a list of all the programs installed:
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/120/programs.jpg

Edit: The noises are still there

Are u using HDMI for sound too?
m
0
l
December 21, 2011 4:26:07 AM

There are some programs working in the background. Is there anything specific I should close or all of them?
I'm using spdif for sound. The hdmi driver is for my ATI graphics card (which I don't use because I don't have an HDMI input in my receiver).
Skype/Messenger are not running while this happens. Should I delete them completely?
m
0
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
December 21, 2011 5:13:19 AM

Liran said:
There are some programs working in the background. Is there anything specific I should close or all of them?
I'm using spdif for sound. The hdmi driver is for my ATI graphics card (which I don't use because I don't have an HDMI input in my receiver).
Skype/Messenger are not running while this happens. Should I delete them completely?

Remove it. U don't need it.
m
0
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
December 21, 2011 5:14:55 AM

What is the Nvidia PhysX for?
m
0
l
December 21, 2011 6:00:14 AM

This is a stream-start issue, so no background apps affect this. To confirm this, use the optical cable and after that minute of no sound, remove it from the receiver end and confirm no light shows (Just don't look straight at it, maybe from a 45 degree angle or pinting it to a flat surface, 1cm or inch from it). Then start the music and you will see the light comes on.

The reason why on other devices it would not pop is because the other devices could always send a stream, even if all silence. You could check using the same method.

I would say the receiver should not follow blindly the stream, but keep tabs on the fact that the stream was lost. Or maybe the receiver expects to always have a stream, even if complete silence.
m
0
l
December 21, 2011 1:51:41 PM

I uninstalled the hdmi driver and will update if the noises still appear.
nvidia physx is a physics software used in a lot of games.

@mathew7
It makes sense, but seems strange that manufacturers would overlook that issue (from the sound card or receiver side).
Do you have any idea how to solve it?

By the way, it doesn't happen all the time.
m
0
l
December 22, 2011 9:32:30 AM

Uninstalling the hdmi driver didn't solve the problem.
I just reinstalled the latest driver from the Realtek website.
Will update if there is an improvement.
m
0
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
December 22, 2011 9:35:52 AM

Tell me, does it pop if u play web video too?
m
0
l
December 22, 2011 10:30:38 AM

Didn't happen, but I can't know for sure because it doesn't happen always.
m
0
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
December 22, 2011 10:33:26 AM

Can you re-install Liran? Takes 20 minutes + your programs.
m
0
l
December 22, 2011 4:19:14 PM

I reinstalled a few months ago.
I don't think another reinstall will solve it.

Update: Something that happened just now - I watched a video and when I closed it i got a constant buzzing sound. When I opened another video the buzzing stopped, then a pop noise and then the sound continued normally. Happened back to back several times until I had enough and switched back to analog.
m
0
l
December 24, 2011 9:13:35 AM

Liran said:
Hi

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R.
It has an onboard sound card - Realtek ALC889A.

Analog sound works perfect.
Digital sound (either optical/coaxial) works but has pop noises aswell.

The noises appear usually when I start any software with sound (media player/winamp/games) after about a minute of silence.
When I start a sound, I hear a loud pop noise and then the sound plays normally.

The problem is not from my receiver since it works perfectly with other devices.

Thanks
Liran

Gigabyte boards suck and that is why. It may be the driver of Realtek audio chip on the motherboard conflict with other drivers, mostly to video's. This is not Realtek's fault since they seems to work perfectly on other motherboard. I don't know for sure what happens inside Gigabyte board when electrical bits start flying and what could have create these conflicts. May be Gigabyte don't even know.
Here's the solution:
Right click audio icon in notification area and choose playback devices. Right click on active audio device (the one with the green check mark) > property > advance and change audio mode from CD 48000Hz to DVD 41000Hz. Click on test and you should hear clear sound from both speakers, from left one first. That should be it. Apply > OK.

I bought 2 boards from them and those have caused me problems ever since. The second one was their second and also last chance. So be advice: Don't buy Gigabyte products until they sort out their drivers/softwares' issues < It's likely in our next life. What else can I say beside - Good luck to Gigabyte.
m
0
l
December 24, 2011 2:12:13 PM

I have found out what is causing the problem.
Previously, I have been using SPDIF set on Dolby Digital for 5.1.
For the past day I used SPDIF set on Stereo PCM (CD Quality).
No noises at all.
Only problem is that I cannot use 5.1.
m
0
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
December 24, 2011 2:15:49 PM

Liran said:
I have found out what is causing the problem.
Previously, I have been using SPDIF set on Dolby Digital for 5.1.
For the past day I used SPDIF set on Stereo PCM (CD Quality).
No noises at all.
Only problem is that I cannot use 5.1.

Why not 5.1?
m
0
l
December 24, 2011 2:56:03 PM

Because the only option for 5.1 is Dolby Digital.
m
0
l
December 31, 2011 1:30:07 PM

nikorr said:
Why not 5.1?

SPDIF was desgined for uncompressed 2.0. compressed 5.1 was added later for DVD players. Initially both were limited to 48KHz. Now, I see the 2.0 option can handle more, but 5.1 is limited to what DVD players (and discs) offer.
I never used this, but some media players seem to have an "spdif passthrough" option to send a direct stream over SPDIF, which would not get processed by the card.
Oh, and your pops could be related to the 1st compressed frame created by the card. This is one of those situations when you have to compromise (until a new driver appears which solves this).
m
0
l
December 31, 2011 5:30:01 PM

Thanks for the explanation.
I actually found the spdif passthrough but its only good for movies.
I also play games.
I shouldn't have to compromise because other devices which compress 5.1 work as they should.
I contacted Realtek and hopefully they can fix this by drivers.
m
0
l
!