Contemplating builds. Opinions please.

drexeus

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
Hi guys! I hope it doesn't get too tiring. I know everyones been asking the same thing, so for that I apologize. That aside, I've put together the cheapest yet decent parts I could find. Just wanted to know which would be better. Both are more or less the same price.

Intel Build:
Core I5 2500
Asus P8H67-M LE
Umax Cetus DCDDR3 4GB 1600OC
Antec EarthWatts EA 430D Green
AeroCool Qx-2000
Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200rpm
DVD Drive

AMD Build:
Asus M4A88T-M/USB3
AMD Athlon II X3 450
Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C8
Enermax ECO80+ EES400AWT II
AeroCool Qx-2000
Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200rpm
DVD Drive

So from those two which one would you guys suggest I go for? Do you think the PSU is alright? Thanks in advance guys.

~ Drex

Solution
The Antec PSU is a great one. It would even handle the build if you threw in a fairly meaty GPU (like up to the HD 68xx cards).

As for it you need a discrete card, it really depends on what you're doing. If you're just using it to watch videos, onboard will be fine, especially with Sandy Bridge's integrated graphics. If you're trying to play some games, I'd porbably throw in a discrete card. If you do end up getting a discrete card, I'd get a P67 board. The main benefit of the H67 is the integrated graphics, which you wouldn't be using.
The Intel build is much better. By like 50-75%. The only things I don't like about it are the RAM (I don't know Umax as a brand) and teh WD HDD. I'd probably swap it for the Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB (or 1 TB, check the prices, they're the same on Newegg right now).

drexeus

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
That much better? Well I guess comparing the 3 core is a bit much. So I'll be going for the samsung. How about the PSU? Think it can handle everything for a long while? Do I need to put a low end discrete in the build?

The Antec PSU is a great one. It would even handle the build if you threw in a fairly meaty GPU (like up to the HD 68xx cards).

As for it you need a discrete card, it really depends on what you're doing. If you're just using it to watch videos, onboard will be fine, especially with Sandy Bridge's integrated graphics. If you're trying to play some games, I'd porbably throw in a discrete card. If you do end up getting a discrete card, I'd get a P67 board. The main benefit of the H67 is the integrated graphics, which you wouldn't be using.

Solution