System Upgrade choices

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
Hello all, I finished my first build about 8 months ago. All is well but I'm getting the upgrade bug. Just wanna know what you folks think about my selections.

I may add an SSD for OS. (Crucial/Samsung/OCZ/Intel)
I may add 6 more Gigs of memory. If I do this do I have to stick with the same memory or can I add another brand/speed.
Corsair Airflow pro and memory fan.

Thanks all any thoughts?

My Build as it is now:

AsRock x58-xtreme mobo
Intel Core i7 930 Mhz
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3x2GB) 240-Pin SDRAM DDR3 1600C8 (PC3 12800
CM 690 case
CM 750 watt ps
CM Hyper N520
PowerColor Radeon 5850 gpu
Asus CD ROM
M-audio Studiophile AV 40 speakers

Solution
I'd rather add a second HD 5850 than the SSD. SSDs are still too expensive to be attractive, and don't really do that much other than the feel of using it. i wouldn't consider adding one until the 120 GB are around $150 (or lower). Unless you're doing a lot of rendering and encoding or such, more RAM isn't going to do anything for you. RAM cooling is completely useless.

Of course, adding the second 5850 might cause issues with that crappy Coolermaster PSU. Might want to consider getting a good one, like XFX's 750W for about $100 (modular, 80+ Silver) or Antec's Earthwatts 750W (non-modular, 80+ I think). Those would be more worthwhile upgrades than more RAM, RAM cooling or a SSD.
I'd rather add a second HD 5850 than the SSD. SSDs are still too expensive to be attractive, and don't really do that much other than the feel of using it. i wouldn't consider adding one until the 120 GB are around $150 (or lower). Unless you're doing a lot of rendering and encoding or such, more RAM isn't going to do anything for you. RAM cooling is completely useless.

Of course, adding the second 5850 might cause issues with that crappy Coolermaster PSU. Might want to consider getting a good one, like XFX's 750W for about $100 (modular, 80+ Silver) or Antec's Earthwatts 750W (non-modular, 80+ I think). Those would be more worthwhile upgrades than more RAM, RAM cooling or a SSD.

Solution