Sign in with
Your question

Showing only 4 out of 6GB Ram

Last response: in Memory
December 20, 2011 12:48:42 PM

Greetings

I have been having this problem on and off for the last year and a half , they way i fix it usually as it happened 4 times is go open my computer remove the sticks and rearrange them until when i restart i see on my computer properties i have 6.

Usually this worked but last week when it happened i tried this method and it fixed ok. But when i restarted my computer it reverted to 4GB.

Now CPU-Z shows 6, memtest shows no problem, so i am thinking its the voltage and timing? Ah my motherboard is asus pt6se

Now i don't have a very good knowledge of BIOS and i am always afraid i am going to screw something up so bear with me :) 

Can you tell me were ui have to go in BIOS to see my RAM, how to change manually the settings so i can fix this problem.

I appreciate all the help.

More about : showing 6gb ram

a b } Memory
December 20, 2011 2:20:33 PM

It's unlikely anyone here has your exact motherboard because there are just so many different motherboards and each motherboard has it's own BIOS (although there are similarities between many motherboard's BIOSs) and that makes it difficult to help in this situation.

If you have the motherboard's manual then there should be information about your BIOS.
There can be many reasons for the problem and changing RAM settings might not make it fixable. If you can find that manual here are some things you can try:

enable memory remapping

check to see if your memory voltage and other memory settings (frequency, latency timings, etc.) are correct for your memory kit. The rated settings for your kit should be in many places online including whatever site you bought them from, manufacturer's website, and possibly any reviews of the kit if you find any from Googleing your kit.

check to see if the pins of the memory modules and memory slots are dirty in any way.
December 21, 2011 4:57:25 AM

Hello mate

Thank you for your quick reply. After i posted here i searched around the net and it seems its a common problem with X58 Motherboards.

I found a site were it shows what you need to change in the bios but its way over my head, that's why i asked for more simple explanation, example go to AI TWEAK in bios and then go to that setting and change that number.

Here is the site http://i4memory.com/f54/asus-x58-6-12gb-memory-overcloc...

Though i am not interested in overclocking it has some screenshots :)  Also i downloaded a freeware program were it shows what ram is and their setting the problem is i don't know about changing.

Related resources
December 21, 2011 5:01:43 AM

Oh i forgot to mention on the ASUS PT6 SE memory remaping is on by default, no option exists in the bios.
a c 146 } Memory
December 21, 2011 5:58:11 AM

ChaosDancer said:
Greetings

I have been having this problem on and off for the last year and a half , they way i fix it usually as it happened 4 times is go open my computer remove the sticks and rearrange them until when i restart i see on my computer properties i have 6.

Usually this worked but last week when it happened i tried this method and it fixed ok. But when i restarted my computer it reverted to 4GB.

Now CPU-Z shows 6, memtest shows no problem, so i am thinking its the voltage and timing? Ah my motherboard is asus pt6se

Now i don't have a very good knowledge of BIOS and i am always afraid i am going to screw something up so bear with me :) 

Can you tell me were ui have to go in BIOS to see my RAM, how to change manually the settings so i can fix this problem.

I appreciate all the help.

What Windows version do u have? x64 x32 Pro....
a b } Memory
December 21, 2011 9:51:59 PM

nikorr said:
What Windows version do u have? x64 x32 Pro....

His windows has to be 64 bit if the machine occasionally lists the available memory as 6GB.
a c 146 } Memory
December 21, 2011 10:02:18 PM

blazorthon said:
His windows has to be 64 bit if the machine occasionally lists the available memory as 6GB.

Not quite the truth. x32 will use it and see it if he will patch the kernel or CPU-Z will shows 6 on x32...

He can use it as RAM disc too. Just the windows will not see the extra RAM.

Also u don't exactly know what the OP has as people don't post all the info : )
a b } Memory
December 22, 2011 2:39:07 AM

nikorr said:
Not quite the truth. x32 will use it and see it if he will patch the kernel or CPU-Z will shows 6 on x32...

He can use it as RAM disc too. Just the windows will not see the extra RAM.

Also u don't exactly know what the OP has as people don't post all the info : )

I never said x32 windows wouldn't recognize the 6GB of memory or that you couldn't use it by work-around just that it wouldn't be listed as available for use in the computer properties.

Since the OP stated that his machine sometimes lists the full 6GB as available then it is a 64 bit OS or he has a workaround being used.
December 22, 2011 6:20:40 AM

Its 64 bit guys :)  Sorry for not replying sooner but i had some internet connection problems yesterday. Oh and its windows 7 ultimate
a b } Memory
December 22, 2011 3:12:56 PM

Have you tried troubleshooting to see if only specific memory modules and/or slots on the motherboard are causing problems?
!