Sign in with
Your question

CPU Upgrade

Last response: in CPUs
April 14, 2011 4:26:07 PM

My current computer running Windows Vista 64 bit Service Pack 2 on a 22 inch Samsung SyncMaster T220:-

Processor AMD Phenom™ X4
Model 9150e
OPN Tray HD9150ODJ4BGH
OPN PIB HD9150ODGHBOX
Operating Mode 32 Bit Yes
Operating Mode 64 Bit Yes
Revision B3
Core Speed (MHz) 1800
Voltages 1.0-1.125V
Max Temps (C) 70'C
Wattage 65 W
Virtualization Yes
L1 Cache Size (KB) 128
L1 Cache Count 4
L2 Cache Size (KB) 512
L2 Cache Count 4
L3 Cache Size (KB) 2048
CMOS 65nm SOI
Socket AM2+
AMD Business Class No
Black Edition No

Mainboard Acer WMCP78M
Chipset NVidia nForce 720a Rev A2

BIOS Pheonix Technoligies, LTD
Version R01-B0 - 03/03/2009

Memory 4096MBytes Dual Channal DDR2

Graphics NVidia Geforce GT 120 with 1024MBytes memory

PSU Acer Aspire x3200 Liteon PE-5221-08 PSU Power Supply 210W

Is it possible to upgrade the CPU in in this machine or should I just get a better computer. On a good note for this current system I can run most (Pre 2010), games on high. I just wanted to see if I could get a little more out of it.

More about : cpu upgrade

a b à CPUs
April 14, 2011 5:39:24 PM

First thing get a better video card, yours is quite weak. You need a new PSU as well for a new video card. Later you can get a new mobo/CPU/RAM.
April 14, 2011 7:15:10 PM

I'd look for a major upgrade starting from the cpu all the way down to the psu. depending on the budget i'd aim to a p67 machine with ssd (for OS), a powerfull video card (somthing like a HD6970)
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2011 7:27:32 PM

There's really nothing you can do with it, the cpu is very slow and likely the board won't take a newer cpu over 95w.

A gpu upgrade would require a psu upgrade.

You see where this is going?
April 14, 2011 11:21:26 PM

geekapproved said:
There's really nothing you can do with it, the cpu is very slow and likely the board won't take a newer cpu over 95w.

A gpu upgrade would require a psu upgrade.

You see where this is going?

Thanks for your quick reply.

In that case I will just use it as a internet machine and get a new gaming rig, possibly something like this

http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/Liquid_i7_Hydr...

in a couple of months time once I have the money.

Thanks to all that replied to my query, it was all appreciated thanks.
a c 131 à CPUs
April 15, 2011 12:18:08 AM

Here is your CPU recommendation. 95W and much better performing than your current CPU. You will need to check compatibility though or risk it and make sure you can return the CPU if it doesn't work.

If you are gaming, your CPU is not holding you back as much as your video card.
April 16, 2011 12:29:27 AM

enzo matrix said:
Here is your CPU recommendation. 95W and much better performing than your current CPU. You will need to check compatibility though or risk it and make sure you can return the CPU if it doesn't work.

If you are gaming, your CPU is not holding you back as much as your video card.

Thanks Enzo Matrix, but with your recommendation I would need a bigger power supply and I have also been advised that I would need a better graphics card. The problems I have with this is that firstly, my system is a small form factor desktop. Secondly all the 95 W CPU I have found are Socket AM3, (although they will fit in a Socket AM2+, with some loss of functionality). Thirdly I have yet to find a larger power supply that will fit the case, and last but not least there is the problem that given I accomplished the upgrade, there would be a heat issue.

To that end I have now given the computer to my wife, as she was using a old Pentium 4 3.00 Ghz. She is happy enough with it as she can do more than she could on the P4 and it will also save me having to get another computer for her.

Thanks to all that helped and I will no doubt be back on here to get more help with future problems and will be recommending this forum to my mates and family, if and when the get computer woes.
a c 131 à CPUs
April 17, 2011 9:18:03 PM

There is no loss of CPU functionality putting an AM3 CPU in an AM2+ socket. The new Athlons produce less heat than the older phenoms. There are also low-power versions of the Athlons available that will still outperform the current CPU. There are also some decent low power video cards.

It should be easy to find a new PSU if you can identify the form factor. ATX may be most common, but sites and stores still sell the smaller form factors at sufficient wattage.

But, glad to hear you found a good use for it. That's certainly a nice upgrade for your wife.
!