Chieftec Super Series 750W PSU good or bad ? safe or unsafe?

shadstarn

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Chieftec Super Series 750W PSU good or bad ? safe or unsafe?

this is what is written on the box .. i cant ifnd any actuall info online about it.

over voltage protection
over current proteiction
short circuit protection
support pcie and sli ready
over temperature protection
support serial ata interface
full range 100/240v ca input

active pfc
cable managmeent

aks. strøm : 4 A
Frekvens : 47 - 63 Hz
Spenning : 100 - 240 V
Beskyttelse :

DC ut - Maks. strøm
+3.3V : 30 A
+5V : 28 A
+12V1: 18 A
+12V2: 18 A
+12V3: 18 A
+12V4: 18 A
-12V : 0.8 A
+5Vsb : 3.0 A

shadstarn

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
but in most sites it says 80+ certified but not on their main site? why?
look

http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=386812#info

http://www.mpx.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=386812

http://www.chieftec.eu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=322&Itemid=588&lang=EN

With an extreme silent 14cm fan which fulfil the latest high-end standard. The easy-to-handle "cable management" ensures that no unnecessary cables disturb the optimal air circulation within a chassis. This series is not only a Gamer's dream...
lol?

can you find me an american store that sells it and does not advertise 80 +?
the strangest thing is that the chieftec site does not say its 80+

hey guys can you also help me? metro runs very good now and its the heaviest game i have.. but ismpler games like crysis warhead and stalker dont seem to be even using the crossfire .. because they do not get any gains... with this they should be running atleast faster because metro increased into sweet running!
whatis the issue?

phaedrus2129

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Lots of people seem to have a gut reflex to call anything not Corsair or Antec or SeaSonic a piece of crap.

It's a CWT PSH unit, same base platform as the Corsair TX750. It's decent, nothing spectacular, but reliable.

shadstarn

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/302415-10-chieftec-super-series-750w-dies-week

would you say this psu is safe? and i should keep it? and also are you saying it in factuality contains same hardware as the corsair?

the most important thing is though that i can use this psu on a new pc when i build it?

will this be adequit with 750w for a new build in the future? *basically a intel motherboard with intel cpu but same gpu as now*

what i am trying to say is .. is my psu as good as or good enough as this psu? becasue i see it used in new builds
this psu "Cooler Master HAF 932 Black Limited Edt.
Chieftec Nitro Series BPS-750C 750W PSU
ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Socket-AM3
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
Kingston ValueR. DDR3 1333MHz 4GB, CL9
Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5
Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5
Sony Optiarc DVD±RW Burner, AD-7260S
Corsair SSD Force Series™ F60A, 60GB
OEM SSD 2.5" to 3.5" Bracket SATA
Western Digital Caviar® Green™ 1TB
Logitech OEM S-120 2.0 høyttaler
ROCCAT Kova+ Max Performance Gaming Mous
Microsoft SideWinder X4 Keyboard USB
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Garanti 3 år - Sende inn

i guess i should return this psu after all and get a 1000mhz? so i can use it in the future ? or do you think this same chieftec super series is good enough for close future build .. say next year building

phaedrus2129

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
More than enough for your needs, and yes it's basically the same hardware as the Corsair TX750. A few slight differences, but performance should be close to identical.

There's always a chance of random failure with an electronic component, if there was a manufacturing error.

shadstarn

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
should i keep this and think that i can use it with new stup in the near future say 1 year .. or should i return it and get a betterone

would you with clear contiouns say that this chieftec super series is safe and good to keep?

because i want a psu that i can use later on also .. its not worth keepng this if its only going to last me short time

shadstarn

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011

the question is my friend .. also if the power supply i have now will be fine for a future build ..one that i will make next year i think.

UPDATE FOLKS .. first i thank you all so much for your awesomeness! you all have ballz of steel

I had ballz of steel and installed the thing i mistakenly keep calling CUD..

and it happens it DID improve significantly all the games including far cry 2 and crysis warhead...

games that go almost perfect , now ( with no upgrading of the cpu or anything else):
all games at max

- far cry 2
-Metro
-homefront
- stalker clear sky ( ironically this game looks way better then its sequel .call of prypriat.which has dx 11 above
clearky which has only dx 10)

games that go playable and struggling :
-crysis warhead
-far cry 2 was here before the "cud"

all i need now for people to conform if my chieftec is infact safeand good ... but most importantly after that it is if its going to be able to use in the future... i got my ass handed to me on this one i should have bought a 1000mhz one? or what?

i still really need to know what can contribute to overheating on the gpus .. i dont think that issue is clearly out of the "water" lol ..

would you guys say that a better cpu would fix the remaining issues? ... i kind of hope that the heating issue is contributed to something i can fix ..
as mentioned sometimes it seems that the master card wants to orgasm and achieve a 80 celcius range.. but i need more testing to make sure when and how it happens as this was not the case all the time
i suspect the PROFILE enhancement the "cud" as i call it ..jacks up the card now that i installed it but this mainly seem to happen in METRO which probably usees a grpahical feuture more uniquely then the other games.

The strangest thing is crysis 2 runs almost the exact same mostly playable and smooth but i cant see if its perfect or not.. it ran exactly like this on the hd 4890 i had too.. but that only is awesomeness on the part of hte devs at EA. My hat goes off to them for this one.

If you're going to be using more than two GPUs in CrossFireX or SLI or if you upgrade to multiple graphics cards with higher power requirements in your future build, then no it will not be fine.

Are we suppose to predict what components you're going to be using in your future build too?

shadstarn

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011

well i assume i will be using these same grpahics cards.. ? true maybe i would get a third one lol ...

what do you sugest being the best psu for the future .. of 1 year maximum

If you're sticking with the two AMD Radeon HD 6870 Graphics Cards you have already reached the maximum number of cards that can be used in CrossFireX mode for the Radeon HD 6870.

If the power supply is sufficient for your current build it should be enough for your future build unless you're going to be using a more power hungry CPU and/or add several more hard disk drives, expansion cards, cooling fans, case lighting, etc.

phaedrus2129

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
His current config is going to pull like 450-500W. The HD6870 is not exceptionally power hungry.

You could power up to dual GTX570s on that PSU if you wanted, with an overclocked quad core CPU.

shadstarn

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011

i think right now the only thing i migth do is get a amd 955 or phoenom 2 x6

but in the future i will probably buy a whole new motherboard and install a intel on it unless amd manages to pull a good cpu till next year

but i am still afraid .. of keeping this psu .. who says its safe ?

This is getting ridiculous.
You could buy the most expensive psu available and still run the risk of it having a bad component and going pop ( much less of a chance than with a crappy psu )
Nothing is safe.

shadstarn

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011

and why should end thread we are talking about more hten power supplies here...
it looks like just because someone has a veteran under their nick they can burst in here and DECIDE the fate of a ongoing flexible post.. that is ABOUT my pc getting crossfire to work ..

all these guys have been awesome and decent ad helped me .. you come in here first stating the opposite:

"Bad

You want a psu that's at least 80+ certified (80% efficiency)"

can you smellelelel the hypocritisism!

then you rudely write in caps and act like a child .. and try to decide if htis post should be closed or not..

BTW no one held you at gunpoint and told you or forced you to even considering this post or using time on me..
those people here choose to do it for free and i choose to ask for free.. i dont owe anyone anything and no one OWES me ..

rather:

"your an inspiration for birth control " - duke nukem

actually most people have adviced me agianst it besides 1 or two people.. which is less then the majority here..

but just to make things clear...

could the heating of the gpu at near strange levels be because of my cpu bottleneck or would you say mostly it is the powersupply ?

as i asked before.. which are most likely to be causing this heating..?

but just to make sure you guys think that the chieftec super series 750w is as good as any other 750w?

i really need to get real confirmation to wash the negative recommendation away lol... if you see in the first page people advice me against it..
rather i still am not sure... while it does help that some people think tis good enough

but is it infact true that i dont have anything to fear for it? since the components are buildt at same factory?

it is hard thing to me to add to the safe list since people have been putting my psu and cpu as problematic candidates

I know that my cpu should be changed at some point though that is sure... but i hope this psu is good enough and good enough for my future...
i was at a hardware store and i asked the guy and he told me that future cards or cpu use less power .. so i hope he is talking the truth

phaedrus2129

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Anyone who says your power supply is shady has no idea what they're on about.

I'm a regular at Overclock.net and have the reputation there as the power supply guru. I've written a couple dozen guides and articles, have taught several people to near my level of competence, and help a dozen people a day with power supplies. I know more about individual power supply topologies and manufacturers than most people think there is to know about the entire field.

I'm telling you. Your Chieftech is a very solid mid-range ChannelWell PSH series unit, which is also used in popular power supplies from Corsair and Thermaltake. It could power two of your computers. It shouldn't be causing any issues unless something is horribly damaged in it.

And that's all there is to say on the subject. Do your own troubleshooting to narrow down the problem, or at least open up a thread in another part of the forum where people may specialize in what you need help with, since I can say with 95% confidence that the problem is not in any way related to your power supply, and anyone who tells you otherwise probably couldn't tell a PSH from a PUF.

shadstarn

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011

Well thank you.. that i could not ask for a better review! you guys deserve medals for your answers and response here.(i am not being ironic btw)

But would you say the chieftec is good enough for future too .. if i dont get 3 cards .. which now i have only 2.
?

So now htat the psu is out of the way... well the psu seems to work it powers hte pc and the fans dont make strange sounds (besides when they are working hard for a game)
so other hten that i can not imaigine just out of the thin air if there is manufacturing problems with it..
you would be more able to diagnose it for me .. since i dont have any clue..
OTHER THEN that i wondered if the heating would be something caused by psu

I am still unsure if someone here has claimed or not if the CPU can lead to bottle neck which could lead to over heating of the gpus_?

MEANWHILE someone at youtube just repsoneded to me saying following " 75 to 80 decrees are not ranges that are out of hte ordinary for x fire.. "
however i asked him to confirm to me if that is only an assumption on his own behalf or a general truth..

if this is true .. the only thing i need to change now is the cpu...

do you guys still recommend the 955? is there not any hope that in the near future .. in some months that amd would release a cpu that could handle this issue? i just odnt want to be on that end of missing that opportunity

phaedrus2129

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Your motherboard only has two PCIe slots, and the HD6870 is only capable of two card Crossfire regardless. It would be physically impossible for your to use three cards, unless you completely change out all the major components in your system in which case my answer is: I can't see the future. Now stop being silly and wasting everyone's time.

shadstarn

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011

actually it seems my mb has 3 places but you cant use the 3 .. its kind of stupid because you dont have the space ..but i definetly have 3 options..
my mb seems to be actually pretty awesome..

HOWEVER i was refering to the future.. because in teh future i WILL get a new mother board and RAM but i dont know what cpu i will put on it.

BUT FOR NOW... i might get a cpu am3 .. and yes my mb can use am3 because of a new bios update.