Sign in with
Your question

Noob help: How to power a GPU (AMD 6870)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 19, 2010 3:13:38 PM

Ok, I'm a noob to building and this is probable going to be a dumb question, but here goes...

I just made my first build. I have the Gigabyte Radeon HD 6870 1GB and an XFX 650W PSU. Everything has been installed and the PC is running. I just now had a thought about the power connection to the GPU and I am second guessing myself.

The GPU has 2 6-pin connector slots. It came with 2 6-pin to molex adaptors. Must I plug cables into both 6 pin connectors AND all 4 molex? Meaning, does my GPU need 4 different molex cables going into the 2 6 pin adaptors?

My PSU came with molex cables with multiple plugs, meaning a single cable plugged into the PSU has 2 ends. Can I use the same cable (with 2 ends) to plug into the 2 molex plugs on the single adaptor from the GPU?

I hope that isn't confusing. I'm at work, and don't remember exactly how I plugged it in at the moment, and plan to check tonight, but I'm second guessing myself now and am kinda worried and confused.

Thanks in advance.
a b U Graphics card
November 19, 2010 3:16:10 PM

Use the 6 pin connectors from the power supply and leave the adapters in the box.
m
l
November 19, 2010 3:39:19 PM

delluser1 said:
Use the 6 pin connectors from the power supply and leave the adapters in the box.

Ok, ! guess the main question is that I do in fact need both 6-pin connector slots on the GPU plugged in, right?

Whether that is 2 1-to-1 6 pin cables from the GPU to PSU, or using the adaptors (with all molex end filled), doesn't matter (although you suggest not using the adaptors). As long as the GPU has both 6-pins filled. Correct?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 19, 2010 4:02:18 PM

Connect using the 6 pins.
Thats it-
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 19, 2010 4:11:56 PM

Is there a real difference between the 2x4>6pin over the 1x4>6pin connector?
My 5770 came with a 1x4>6pin, but I just used the 6pin on my psu which has been working properly for the 8 months Ive had the card. I just wanted to know the difference between them.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 19, 2010 4:24:05 PM

Quote:
Best thing to do is to connect the pci express connector directly from the psu to the card.

I know that, but what difference is between the 6pin that uses 2x4pins and the 6pin that uses 1x4pin?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 19, 2010 4:29:21 PM

pottsy523 said:
Ok, ! guess the main question is that I do in fact need both 6-pin connector slots on the GPU plugged in, right?

Whether that is 2 1-to-1 6 pin cables from the GPU to PSU, or using the adaptors (with all molex end filled), doesn't matter (although you suggest not using the adaptors). As long as the GPU has both 6-pins filled. Correct?

Yep
m
l
December 2, 2011 3:44:03 AM

delluser1 said:

So i was kinda sleepy when i was building my current gaming rig... and i could not figure out WTF i was doing wrong.... i wasn't untill i read your post did i realize that i had used the adapters that came with the graphics card for its powersupply. for some reason i caused a problem and the card was not getting any power.... kinda derp'ed hard last night.
thanks for the usefull info

SPIDERMAN RULZ XD
m
l
!