MSI N460GTX Hawk

sgtdavis44

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
OK, so it's a simple question: I'm going to get a MSI N460GTX Hawk card. Now all I want to know is what is the minimum power requirements(wattage, +12v rail amps etc.). I'm going to get alot bigger PSU in the future when I upgrade to SLI but I need something that will work for 6-10 months.

Other system specs:
Motherboard: MSI P55-GD65
Processor: Intel i5-760
RAM: 2gb Kingston ValueRAM @1333mHz9Only for now, will get HyperX Blu 4gb @1600mHz later on, but I can't wait any longer)
HDD: 2x 80gb Western Digital SATA drives(Will get a larger 500gb SATA later, same story as with RAM and I alreaady have these for pretty much free, and they still work! And not in RAID)

So, what's really the minimum? I'm opting for atleast 500W, but I'm going to the store again tomorrow to get some more quotes and stuff. So I'd like this now, ASAP! I can go down to a Cyclone 1gb/oc version for $35 less(note: this is in South Africa and stuff is ALOT more expensive here. If it was not I would have gotten a MUCH better machine. Probably 2 in SLI straight away! =P But alas...). I'm paying about $378 for it over here(that's crazy right?)

Sorry for the rush!
Regards, sgt.

55Range

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Normally for a gtx 460, a psu of 450 is recommended.
Any good brand will cover the rail amps specs well.
So a god brand of gpu, ocz, corsair, Cm, of 500 w will be more than enough for your system assuming you dont sli though.

sgtdavis44

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
I know 450W but the reason I'm asking is because the Hawk is overclocked and has a two fan cooler. Wouldn't that require more than reference? What are the Amp requirements on the +12v rails? I still would like to know.

But thanks, I've been looking for Corsair power supplies but cannot find any(even at a company that specially orders components) can get me one. I can get a 585W ODIN but it's not enough(connectors etc. etc. I think +12v rail is only 12 amps or something).

So 500W from most good manufacturers are OK? Does Coolermaster remotely count as good? I was at the shop yesterday and they had 500-600W coolermasters but I din't have a good look. I was more on the search for a 300W PSU for my "dad's" computer. The one in that comp is old and the fan is getting just as old! The other computer has the same one, but it's fan is broken. I felt it when it was turned on, nearly scolded my hand! Sorry for the side track story here!

sgtdavis44

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
I can't buy from Newegg. South Africa. Just alot of extra hassle to import the stuff myself. I did look at the builder but as mentioned I was not able to find any in my "town or city"(the government doesn't know what it is, too big for a town too small for a city type of situation).

Yeah, well I won't be overclocking for now. Not until I get a bigger one anyway. I can maybe get my hands on a 600W Coolermaster Silentpro but I still have to check with the shop tomorrow.

sgtdavis44

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
I'm not too bothered, as long as it can run the hawk for about six months(along with everything else). No overclocking. I'm not REALLY prepared to go down to that, a waste of money if you ask me. And since I already have hard drives I might as ell spend the money I save on that for a power supply.

I'll be back tomorrow with what I found at the shop.

TRENDING THREADS