Last response: in Motherboards
December 20, 2011 6:10:14 PM

Hello all,

I have been stumped.

Specs: Sabertooth 990FX MoBo
Radeon 4890
Mushkin 1333Mhz (8GB)
AMD FX4100

I originally had a Phenom II 955 (quad core Black) but when I put it together I got the CPU LED. Replaced the CPU with the FX4100 and success! Except for the fact that I can't get video on ANY of the PCIe slots. The GPU worked great on it's previous MoBo...

Is there a setting/switch/jumper that I'm missing somewhere?

Apart from the fact that I can't SEE what it's booting, it would seem that it is. At least until the screen that would normally say "to boot from cd press any key". there is a post beep.

HELP!! And thank you :) 
a c 717 V Motherboard
December 20, 2011 6:16:11 PM

I assume you are using the latest BIOS for your FX 4100.

You need to use the top PCIe x16 slot, and connect the 6-pin / 8-pin to the PSU.
m
l
December 21, 2011 8:44:26 AM

You need BIOS 0810 for an FX to do anything. It's a stupid thing that was overlooked :/ 
m
l
Related resources
December 21, 2011 9:01:47 AM

Why you downgraded the Phenom II X4 955 to a FX4100?!?
m
l
December 21, 2011 12:04:09 PM

jaquith said:
I assume you are using the latest BIOS for your FX 4100.

You need to use the top PCIe x16 slot, and connect the 6-pin / 8-pin to the PSU.

Thank you for your response.
Indeed, The GPU is hooked up correctly. The only reason I tried ALL of the PCIe slots was simply to rule out slot failure, and I have since returned the GPU to the first slot... incidentally I haven't seen a GPU LED so my assumption, at this point, is that it's still functional.
As for the BIOS, I'll admit that I've simply taken the MoBo out of the box and put the system together, so it I will try to check the currency of the BIOS. Though without the ability to see via a monitor I'm not sure how this can be accomplished? Is there a way I can flash it without seeing what I'm doing? I'm totally willing to learn new procedures!
m
l
December 21, 2011 12:08:55 PM

FtsArTek said:
You need BIOS 0810 for an FX to do anything. It's a stupid thing that was overlooked :/ 

I appreciate the heads up :) ... And I'll pose the same question to you as far as how I might update the BIOS without the benefit of seeing with the monitor? It's very possible that I just haven't a clue. It seems like it should be possible...
m
l
December 21, 2011 12:12:45 PM

vitornob said:
Why you downgraded the Phenom II X4 955 to a FX4100?!?

Truthfully, the only reason I bought the FX chip was because the board is a native AM3+ with support for an AM3 chip. I just felt that it would mate better. As far as it being a downgrade, I look forward to being able to play with both chips in the same configuration so that I can see for myself what exactly each does better. I, of course, still have the 955 and assuming that it isn't torched I will definitely continue to play with it...
m
l

Best solution

a c 717 V Motherboard
December 21, 2011 12:36:01 PM

Here's the issue as it is now, there's no way to determine if you have the minimum BIOS which is = FX-4100(FD4100WMW4KGU),3.6GHz,4C,95W,rev.B2G,AM3+ ALL 0705 2011.09.16.

IMO - you have a couple choices:
1. Send the MOBO to ASUS to update the BIOS
2. Borrow/Buy/Local PC shop a donor CPU e.g. $39 AMD Sempron 145 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You can try a breadboard to rule-out a short or grounding short:

You can try Lazyman's Breadboard -
* Disconnect ALL Front Panel & USB Headers ; keep only the PWR & Ground <best> short w/wire.
* Disconnect ALL peripherals including the Keyboard/Mouse
* (1) Stick of RAM in the second DIMM slot from CPU
* Unscrew both the MOBO and PCIe screws
* Use the Stock HSF; often AMD aftermarket HSF come with Intel mounts

Pull the MOBO away from anything conductive and supported by a towel ; short PWR & Ground to start.

---

BIOS Update - the recommend way is to use ASUS EZ Flash 2 -> http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/289507-30-what-flash ; note my post.
December 26, 2011 5:19:21 AM

Best answer selected by CrtJstr10.
m
l
December 26, 2011 5:26:59 AM

jaquith said:
Here's the issue as it is now, there's no way to determine if you have the minimum BIOS which is = FX-4100(FD4100WMW4KGU),3.6GHz,4C,95W,rev.B2G,AM3+ ALL 0705 2011.09.16.

IMO - you have a couple choices:
1. Send the MOBO to ASUS to update the BIOS
2. Borrow/Buy/Local PC shop a donor CPU e.g. $39 AMD Sempron 145 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You can try a breadboard to rule-out a short or grounding short:

You can try Lazyman's Breadboard -
* Disconnect ALL Front Panel & USB Headers ; keep only the PWR & Ground <best> short w/wire.
* Disconnect ALL peripherals including the Keyboard/Mouse
* (1) Stick of RAM in the second DIMM slot from CPU
* Unscrew both the MOBO and PCIe screws
* Use the Stock HSF; often AMD aftermarket HSF come with Intel mounts

Pull the MOBO away from anything conductive and supported by a towel ; short PWR & Ground to start.

---

BIOS Update - the recommend way is to use ASUS EZ Flash 2 -> http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/289507-30-what-flash ; note my post.

Thanks a ton Jaq... It being Christmas I've taken a little hiatus from the troubleshooting, but, I will soon continue the task of getting this bloody build to work! I will be sure to let you know the outcome in this forum..
m
l
!