Need Help! OS Not Recognized!

Bobby Pin

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Hey Tom's, i frequently look here, but never post. But now i need help :( So I put a computer together. 1st press of power button, fans spin up, green light goes on on the motherboard. I assuming that means everything is good and working. I open DVD Drive, it gets power, put OS in, close it, little green light flickers on the drive, but nothing. The monitor is connected and everything, but no anything. I turn the monitor on and off, i get the Asus logo, so i assume its getting video, and i can change between HDMI, DVI, and so on, but neither works. I really need help here. I have tried a different DVD drive, same result, a different monitor, same result, and a different OS!!! But still, same thing happens...or lack of. Nothing happens! Please help!

Fapaz

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
It sounds to me like nothing is happening because the DVD drive is not first in the boot priority. (Bad wording, I know).

When you start up the PC, go to the BIOS, set the DVD drive as first boot priority, this will allow you to boot from the DVD drive and install windows.

Edit: When you're done installing the OS - change the boot priority back to your hard drive.

Also, there may be a key (F8 for me) that will allow you to more easily change where you want to boot from without changing the priority.

Bobby Pin

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011

How can i get to the BIOS if i cant even load the OS?

Fapaz

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009

The BIOS is loaded before the OS, as soon as you power on the computer, do you see the logo of the BIOS? If so, at the bottom of the screen, it should say something along the lines of "Bios - F#"

Actually, i'll rephrase that - just woke up. X:

After a successful POST you should see the LOGO of of the BIOS.. for example "American Megatrends", "Gigabyte", etc. it depends on the motherboard.

Bobby Pin

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011

When i turn it on, and the monitor, the monitor says "Asus (the monitor is Asus, NOT the motherboard) and then HMDI- No signal.

Fapaz

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009

Ah. Do you have a system speaker on your motherboard? If so, are you hearing any series of beeps?

Bobby Pin

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011

I dont think i plugged those in. I mean do you really need to?

electrontau

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
The is a resource that most people ignore: the manual.

Read the manual. It will tell you how to access the BIOS. Typically you have to hit DEL soon after turning the computer on. Keep pressing DEL until you go to BIOS>

Fapaz

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009

I think he's actually not getting a successful POST.. There really isn't much detail in the OP.

Also, bobby, yes. a system speaker will help. It will easily allow you to determine if you have any errors or if you're getting a successful POST. If this is your first build - consider this. Were you scared when you put the RAM in? That is common to a lot of people and that is why their system won't start up. Try pushing down the RAM harder so it clicks in by itself.

corridor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
That is what it sounds like to me too.

Plug in your motherboard speaker and try again. Take note of whether ou get the standard BIOS beep or some variation (Long continuous beep or a series of beeps). Then come back here. That'll tell us quite a bit of valuable info.

Bobby Pin

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011

This isnt my first build, the ram is fine :kaola: But i will try the speakers...And please people, dont assume i even get the BIOS screen, because im not. If i were, id easily fix it from there.

Fapaz

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009

I was mistaken by the OP as i thought you meant the motherboard was ASUS, not the monitor - But yeah, even though you have no system speaker currently, I think it is pretty obvious that you're not getting a successful POST.

View this thread. try EVERYTHING in it. If nothing succeeds post here again.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems

Edit: Darn you Hast! Beat me to it! :D

Fapaz

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009

No, Fans generally spin up, LED's generally turn on, and the DVD drive generally works even if the system isn't successfully POST'ing. These things aren't related to the problem that you're having, hence why they work.

Bobby Pin

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
1. Yes, although the manual is more of a sheet.
2. Obviously lol
3. Yes, there are no misplaced ones, although i didnt put a screw in one, not sure why. (nevermind, fixed this, all have screws)
4. This doesnt have a video card, SB 2300. (and yes im using H67, not P67)
5. NA
6. Just tried, same result
7. Yes. Heres my Mobo and Ram:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121486&cm_re=Intel_1155-_-13-121-486-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231308

Maybe they arent compatible?

8. Yes.
9. ....
10. Yes
11. Stock cooler
12. Yes.
13. Yes, it was a wierd stock cooler.
14. Not to my knowledge.
15. Yes, but too late now. :lol:
16. I tried, but the mobo documentation isnt the best...although i do hear some beeps and boops when i turn it on...
17. Done. Power button turns Computer on. Just unplugged reset switch and tried again. Fail.
18. Yes.....
19. Yes.
20. No.
21. They Are.

Fapaz

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009

Alright - if the system speaker is correctly installed and you're hearing these "beeps and boops", tell us what it sounds like. (Also, if you are hearing "beeps and boops" that itself would indicate a problem, as a successful POST is only one beep ;])

For example, One short beep = Successful POST

The way you would hear it is in a series, for example, a series of long beeps indicates memory problems.

Fapaz

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009

>_<. If you can't figure out where to put the system speaker on your motherboard, get a flashlight and look for some small text on the mobo that says "SPKR", plug it in there, and see if it works. The header on the mobo is probably near your front panel connectors or you CMOS.

Bobby Pin

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011

Is it FP Audio?

Bobby Pin

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
SPDIF? Im running out of pin slots here, all thats left are 2 fan pins im not using, CIR TX, CIR RX, LPC Debug, BIOS CFG (sure i shouldnt do something with that?) and a few USB pins...

Fapaz

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009

It's not SPDIF

You can try BIOS CFG (or any of the others) if you want, there shouldn't be a risk if it's the wrong one.

But honestly, the manual should have info on where to connect it, if it doesn't, then it's a pretty bad manual. :S

Bobby Pin

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011

Its a pathetic manual, its a sheet that folds on 4 times and has a bunch of pictures, arrows, and numbers, but the only writing is chinese or what not! :fou:

TRENDING THREADS