Sign in with
Your question

Need Help! OS Not Recognized!

Last response: in Systems
January 18, 2011 5:42:21 PM

Hey Tom's, i frequently look here, but never post. But now i need help :(  So I put a computer together. 1st press of power button, fans spin up, green light goes on on the motherboard. I assuming that means everything is good and working. I open DVD Drive, it gets power, put OS in, close it, little green light flickers on the drive, but nothing. The monitor is connected and everything, but no anything. I turn the monitor on and off, i get the Asus logo, so i assume its getting video, and i can change between HDMI, DVI, and so on, but neither works. I really need help here. I have tried a different DVD drive, same result, a different monitor, same result, and a different OS!!! But still, same thing happens...or lack of. Nothing happens! Please help!

More about : recognized

January 18, 2011 6:21:20 PM

It sounds to me like nothing is happening because the DVD drive is not first in the boot priority. (Bad wording, I know).

When you start up the PC, go to the BIOS, set the DVD drive as first boot priority, this will allow you to boot from the DVD drive and install windows.

Edit: When you're done installing the OS - change the boot priority back to your hard drive.

Also, there may be a key (F8 for me) that will allow you to more easily change where you want to boot from without changing the priority.
January 18, 2011 6:27:32 PM

Fapaz said:
It sounds to me like nothing is happening because the OS is not set to be loaded from the DVD drive. (Bad wording, I know).

When you start up the PC, go to the BIOS, set the DVD drive as first boot priority, this will allow you to boot from the DVD drive and install windows.

Edit: When you're done installing the OS - change the boot priority back to your hard drive.

How can i get to the BIOS if i cant even load the OS?
Related resources
January 18, 2011 6:30:19 PM

Bobby Pin said:
How can i get to the BIOS if i cant even load the OS?

The BIOS is loaded before the OS, as soon as you power on the computer, do you see the logo of the BIOS? If so, at the bottom of the screen, it should say something along the lines of "Bios - F#"

Actually, i'll rephrase that - just woke up. X:

After a successful POST you should see the LOGO of of the BIOS.. for example "American Megatrends", "Gigabyte", etc. it depends on the motherboard.
January 18, 2011 6:34:18 PM

Fapaz said:
The BIOS is loaded before the OS, as soon as you power on the computer, do you see the logo of the BIOS? If so, at the bottom of the screen, it should say something along the lines of "Bios - F#"

When i turn it on, and the monitor, the monitor says "Asus (the monitor is Asus, NOT the motherboard) and then HMDI- No signal.
January 18, 2011 6:35:45 PM

Bobby Pin said:
When i turn it on, and the monitor, the monitor says "Asus (the monitor is Asus, NOT the motherboard) and then HMDI- No signal.

Ah. Do you have a system speaker on your motherboard? If so, are you hearing any series of beeps?
January 18, 2011 6:42:43 PM

Fapaz said:
Ah. Do you have a system speaker on your motherboard? If so, are you hearing any series of beeps?

I dont think i plugged those in. I mean do you really need to?
January 18, 2011 6:44:04 PM

The is a resource that most people ignore: the manual.

Read the manual. It will tell you how to access the BIOS. Typically you have to hit DEL soon after turning the computer on. Keep pressing DEL until you go to BIOS>
January 18, 2011 6:45:35 PM

electrontau said:
The is a resource that most people ignore: the manual.

Read the manual. It will tell you how to access the BIOS. Typically you have to hit DEL soon after turning the computer on. Keep pressing DEL until you go to BIOS>

I think he's actually not getting a successful POST.. There really isn't much detail in the OP.

Also, bobby, yes. a system speaker will help. It will easily allow you to determine if you have any errors or if you're getting a successful POST. If this is your first build - consider this. Were you scared when you put the RAM in? That is common to a lot of people and that is why their system won't start up. Try pushing down the RAM harder so it clicks in by itself.
January 18, 2011 6:54:57 PM

That is what it sounds like to me too.

Plug in your motherboard speaker and try again. Take note of whether ou get the standard BIOS beep or some variation (Long continuous beep or a series of beeps). Then come back here. That'll tell us quite a bit of valuable info.
January 18, 2011 7:22:34 PM

Fapaz said:
I think he's actually not getting a successful POST.. There really isn't much detail in the OP.

Also, bobby, yes. a system speaker will help. It will easily allow you to determine if you have any errors or if you're getting a successful POST. If this is your first build - consider this. Were you scared when you put the RAM in? That is common to a lot of people and that is why their system won't start up. Try pushing down the RAM harder so it clicks in by itself.

This isnt my first build, the ram is fine :kaola:  But i will try the speakers...And please people, dont assume i even get the BIOS screen, because im not. If i were, id easily fix it from there.
January 18, 2011 7:25:54 PM

Bobby Pin said:
This isnt my first build, the ram is fine :kaola:  But i will try the speakers...And please people, dont assume i even get the BIOS screen, because im not. If i were, id easily fix it from there.

I was mistaken by the OP as i thought you meant the motherboard was ASUS, not the monitor - But yeah, even though you have no system speaker currently, I think it is pretty obvious that you're not getting a successful POST.

View this thread. try EVERYTHING in it. If nothing succeeds post here again.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

Edit: Darn you Hast! Beat me to it! :D 
January 18, 2011 7:39:32 PM

Wouldnt most of that stuff, if it was wrong, mean my fans wouldnt spin up, LED's go on, DVD Drive work?
January 18, 2011 7:41:25 PM

Bobby Pin said:
Wouldnt most of that stuff, if it was wrong, mean my fans wouldnt spin up, LED's go on, DVD Drive work?

No, Fans generally spin up, LED's generally turn on, and the DVD drive generally works even if the system isn't successfully POST'ing. These things aren't related to the problem that you're having, hence why they work.
January 18, 2011 8:07:57 PM

1. Yes, although the manual is more of a sheet.
2. Obviously lol
3. Yes, there are no misplaced ones, although i didnt put a screw in one, not sure why. (nevermind, fixed this, all have screws)
4. This doesnt have a video card, SB 2300. (and yes im using H67, not P67)
5. NA
6. Just tried, same result
7. Yes. Heres my Mobo and Ram:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Maybe they arent compatible?

8. Yes.
9. ....
10. Yes
11. Stock cooler
12. Yes.
13. Yes, it was a wierd stock cooler.
14. Not to my knowledge.
15. Yes, but too late now. :lol: 
16. I tried, but the mobo documentation isnt the best...although i do hear some beeps and boops when i turn it on...
17. Done. Power button turns Computer on. Just unplugged reset switch and tried again. Fail.
18. Yes.....
19. Yes.
20. No.
21. They Are.
January 18, 2011 8:16:29 PM

Bobby Pin said:

16. I tried, but the mobo documentation isnt the best...although i do hear some beeps and boops when i turn it on...

Alright - if the system speaker is correctly installed and you're hearing these "beeps and boops", tell us what it sounds like. (Also, if you are hearing "beeps and boops" that itself would indicate a problem, as a successful POST is only one beep ;])

For example, One short beep = Successful POST

The way you would hear it is in a series, for example, a series of long beeps indicates memory problems.
January 18, 2011 8:19:22 PM

I think its most the HDD making them. Its like ZEEEEEEEEEEE BOO BOOP. :lol:  The zeee....part is not it reving up though. By the way, its barely audible.
January 18, 2011 8:22:42 PM

Bobby Pin said:
I think its most the HDD making them. Its like ZEEEEEEEEEEE BOO BOOP. :lol:  The zeee....part is not it reving up though. By the way, its barely audible.

>_<. If you can't figure out where to put the system speaker on your motherboard, get a flashlight and look for some small text on the mobo that says "SPKR", plug it in there, and see if it works. The header on the mobo is probably near your front panel connectors or you CMOS.
January 18, 2011 8:25:03 PM

Fapaz said:
>_<. If you can't figure out where to put the system speaker on your motherboard, get a flashlight and look for some small text on the mobo that says "SPKR", plug it in there, and see if it works. The header on the mobo is probably near your front panel connectors or you CMOS.

Is it FP Audio?
January 18, 2011 8:26:44 PM

Bobby Pin said:
Is it FP Audio?

No, that's not it.
January 18, 2011 8:29:59 PM

SPDIF? Im running out of pin slots here, all thats left are 2 fan pins im not using, CIR TX, CIR RX, LPC Debug, BIOS CFG (sure i shouldnt do something with that?) and a few USB pins...
January 18, 2011 8:33:53 PM

Bobby Pin said:
SPDIF? Im running out of pin slots here, all thats left are 2 fan pins im not using, CIR TX, CIR RX, LPC Debug, BIOS CFG (sure i shouldnt do something with that?) and a few USB pins...

It's not SPDIF

You can try BIOS CFG (or any of the others) if you want, there shouldn't be a risk if it's the wrong one.

But honestly, the manual should have info on where to connect it, if it doesn't, then it's a pretty bad manual. :S
January 18, 2011 8:35:40 PM

Fapaz said:
It's not SPDIF

You can try BIOS CFG (or any of the others) if you want, there shouldn't be a risk if it's the wrong one.

But honestly, the manual should have info on where to connect it, if it doesn't, then it's a pretty bad manual. :S

Its a pathetic manual, its a sheet that folds on 4 times and has a bunch of pictures, arrows, and numbers, but the only writing is chinese or what not! :fou: 
January 18, 2011 8:38:42 PM

Im looking at the online manual now.
January 18, 2011 8:40:23 PM

So many questions leading nowhere here.
He's using H67, why not ask what is the processor he's using.
Then what brand is the motherboard, how did you connect you cables ?
Because it sure is a question of output from the motherboard.
If you have an processor with an IGP and you are hooked correctly to your motherboard then try a clearcmos, it may resolve your problem.

Did you plugged the 4 pin of your processor ?
Is there an 8 pin with your power supply ? If so try to connect it to your 8 pin CPU instead of the 4(assuming you plugged it in the first place)

Speakers are located right over the pins where you connect your case light and reset/power button.
::::::::.... (where are the missing dots)
And try to reseat your ram.
After that, without specs, I can't ask anymore questions.
January 18, 2011 8:43:17 PM

abswindows7 said:
If you have an processor with an IGP and you are hooked correctly to your motherboard then try a clearcmos, it may resolve your problem.

Is there an 8 pin with your power supply ? If so try to connect it to your 8 pin CPU instead of the 4(assuming you plugged it in the first place)

Speakers are located right over the pins where you connect your case light and reset/power button.

as stated in the above posts;
He has reseated his ram,
He has plugged in the 4 pin connector,
Although he hasn't reset his CMOS.
January 18, 2011 8:46:16 PM

abswindows7 said:

I think ive given most of this info thru this thread. SB i7 2300, the Intel H67BL Mobo i linked, and the 2x4gig set of RAM i linked. And I connected the cables...where they are supposed to go? I mean, dont quite know how to answer this one. Should i try Clearcmos?
January 18, 2011 8:47:47 PM

Bobby Pin said:
I think ive given most of this info thru this thread. SB i7 2300, the Intel H67BL Mobo i linked, and the 2x4gig set of RAM i linked. And I connected the cables...where they are supposed to go? I mean, dont quite know how to answer this one. Should i try Clearcmos?

Yes, try it, if you have a jumper, do it that way. otherwise reseat the battery.
January 18, 2011 8:50:08 PM

Fapaz said:
Yes, try it, if you have a jumper, do it that way. otherwise reseat the battery.

Ive done this before, but any specific instructions?
January 18, 2011 8:51:30 PM

Bobby Pin said:
Ive done this before, but any specific instructions?

Nah, it's pretty straightforward.
January 18, 2011 8:58:35 PM

Fapaz said:
Nah, it's pretty straightforward.

Ok, took it out, its been about 5 minutes, i put it in now right?
January 18, 2011 9:02:26 PM

Bobby Pin said:
Ok, took it out, its been about 5 minutes, i put it in now right?

Yeah, put it back in and try to boot up the computer.

If this doesn't resolve the problem, I'm out of ideas. Perhaps a more experienced person could provide some insight.
January 18, 2011 9:08:11 PM

Nothing happened! :cry: 
January 18, 2011 9:10:17 PM

Bobby Pin said:
Nothing happened! :cry: 

:(  - Well i'm out of ideas, I guess you'll haveto wait for someone else to try and help.

Because you can't get the system speaker to work, perhaps you should try your video card / ram / cpu on a different mobo, individually, to rule out every part.

Anyway, sorry! :( 
January 18, 2011 9:11:20 PM

If you have gone through all this very good advice, and I'm assuming you arent exactly new to this, but not very experienced either, then id say the best course of action is take it to Best Buy or a place that fixes computers. Much better you pay $50 for them to fix it than you try breadboarding, short the mobo out, and have to pay 2x that for a new motherboard.
January 18, 2011 9:25:03 PM

This may be the same scenario that I encountered a month or so ago when I replaced the motherboard in my machine.

Turn on, fans spin up, I get the "FOXCONN" logo, but it never gets past that, don't get an open to go into BIOS or memcheck or nothin... I was stumped!!!

Found out the problem was, the USB connectors for the case USB ports were plugged in wrong (or the plug is not universal) and it was causing the entire system to hang!

Are there any Case USB ports plugged in? Try unplugging them?

What is attached to the motherboard? Try it with only Motherboard, CPU, Ram, and power-on?

Do you have a dedicated video card? Onboard video?

January 19, 2011 6:55:31 AM

could be faulty video chip
!