Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Life of LGA 775?

Last response: in CPUs
April 14, 2011 11:00:31 PM

Im currently at a stand still. I built my current rig back in 2008. It currently stands as so:

E8500
G Skill DDR2 1066 (4x2gb) 8GB DDR2
HIS ATI 4850 ICE-Q
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P

I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade the CPU to a q9550 and buy a new video card, or just build a whole new rig depending on the bulldozer CPU release and its chipsets. I don't want to swap the CPU and then wont be compatible with new programs in the next few years. I do a lot of gaming, minor video and photo editing, lots of microsoft office work. Screen resolution will increase, however that can easily be changed with selecting a proper GPU.

Thoughts?

More about : life lga 775

a b à CPUs
April 14, 2011 11:26:45 PM

I say hang on to your current system and save up for a full replacement. The E8500 is still pretty good for lightly threaded apps. Is there something in particular that you feel your computer is lacking in some way? Video editing would improve by a quad core, but a Q9550 is a bit too much $$$ to just get you by for a year or two, and it may actually feel a bit slower on single threaded apps.

That's my 2¢.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2011 11:29:40 PM

The Q9550 is a great cpu, but if you can't get it less than $150, you should just upgrade the whole mobo/cpu/ram.
m
l
Related resources
April 14, 2011 11:35:07 PM

775 isn't dead yet. Sure 1155 is out now, but the cpu's you can get in the 775 format are still pretty good.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2011 11:41:15 PM

^I agree. I'm still on 775 myself (Q9650). What really matters is the time for ROI (return of investment). If purchasing a $200 C2Q will get you by for another 3-5 years, then it's worth it. If it only gets you another year of productivity, then it's money better spent on a new system.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2011 11:42:03 PM

The LGA 775 socket is dead. People still use it, but most of them are upgrading. They cost a lot and don't perform too great. They do overclock very hight though. I wouldn't put any more money into a LGA 775 system.
m
l
April 14, 2011 11:48:32 PM

thanks for your quick responses. personally, i see my computer lacking in the gpu department, but thats expected. encoding/decoding/compressing/etc takes a good while. id have to upgrade my video card and cpu to keep up.

my issue is this however. i can buy a 6950/570 and a q9550 and that will set me back about 800 bucks new. or just grab a new gpu, however would a e8500 and ddr 2 be a bottleneck for a amd 6950/ nvidia 570? that way my gpu would be up to date, and the rest of the system can come next.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2011 11:51:31 PM

What is your budget for the whole system? We can help you put one together in your budget. After you get that, sell your old one.
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
April 14, 2011 11:52:03 PM

My advice is to upgrade just your video card now, then upgrade the rest of your system in a bit to a newer socket. I went up to a 6950 1GB and am impressed with the performance vs my old 4850. Your CPU will still be enough for any not-heavily threaded games. This summer might be a good chance to upgrade the rest of your system.
m
l
April 14, 2011 11:57:11 PM

as for budget? i really haven't thought it out. however i do plan on running at 1920x1080. i dont see a reason for me to upgrade to a 980/990i7 just for increasing my e-penor for the sake of it. basically i want to build once, and then upgrade the cpu 3-4 years down the road and hold onto the system. if i really thought about it, it would be about 1500.

if i could have built this current computer over again, i woud have went with a am2 dd2 board with a x4 cpu
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2011 12:07:49 AM

So, do you want me to suggest you a build?
m
l
a c 471 à CPUs
April 15, 2011 1:09:05 AM

quinto_94 said:
I don't want to swap the CPU and then wont be compatible with new programs in the next few years.

Compatibility is based on the operating system.

Performance is based one the CPU. Games are dependent on the video card as well.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2011 1:43:39 AM

upgrade to a HD 6950 for example
and hold off until Ivy Bridge release
also by end of year different SandyBridges scheduled to come
out if I read right
the GPU can be carried to new build so no money lost
m
l
April 15, 2011 4:15:17 AM

HostileDonut said:
So, do you want me to suggest you a build?

if you could, that would steer me into the right direction :) . i do know that 1500 is a very good amount to play with figuratively speaking.

jaguarskx said:
Compatibility is based on the operating system.

Performance is based one the CPU. Games are dependent on the video card as well.

thats what i meant. its like trying to run GTA 4 on a amd 2200 single core. it might run, but not very well.

king smp said:
upgrade to a HD 6950 for example
and hold off until Ivy Bridge release
also by end of year different SandyBridges scheduled to come
out if I read right
the GPU can be carried to new build so no money lost

that actually sounds like a great idea. upgrade my gpu for the time being, and then piece the rest together little by little.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2011 4:21:19 AM

It is actually a good idea to buy all your system pieces together. I'll put a system together for you. Just wait a while. Do you want Blu-Ray?
m
l
April 15, 2011 4:22:50 AM

yes. no need to be able to write bd-r however.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2011 4:27:41 AM

Okay. I'm working on the build. ;) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2011 4:32:23 AM

definitley IMHO

there is just too much CPU advances this year

Of course you have to be careful of the always waiting for the next new thing
syndrome

but this upcoming year there is so much

and really with Sandybridge the best is yet to come

Traditionally Intel on new release holds back

plus let them get the bugs out

best bet is to always buy Revision 3 technology

Version one that is released is in some ways a real world Beta tester
to these companies

as far as LGA775 goes I would not sink big money into it
It is still a very viable platform for performance
it is a fact that many uninformed especially younger enthusiasts dont
realize that a OCd Q9xxx series can compete with the I5s and I7s when they are at stock speeds

I like what RWPritchett said

Veteran

More Information

^I agree. I'm still on 775 myself (Q9650). What really matters is the time for ROI (return of investment). If purchasing a $200 C2Q will get you by for another 3-5 years, then it's worth it. If it only gets you another year of productivity, then it's money better spent on a new system.

looking at it as price x performance x ROI is a great way of thinking

only you know what you need from your computer and how you use and
how it is performing for you

For some people (me included) having a 45min avi encode to burnt DVD is
great
for others they need 20 mins

either way the final product is the same

if your business is making dvds then of course you need to invest
and have the fastet time possible because time is money

but for me as an amateur home movie video editing enthusiast
then I am ok with 45mins

My 3,0 Core2Duo can still easily run a VM,browse,email and play HD
file while encoding and burning at the same time with no lag

newer Core2Duos and Quads are only about 3 years old
unless your a 20 year old child then 3 years is not by no means a long time
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2011 4:37:25 AM

I heard you could change your rig to a hackintosh.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2011 4:37:25 AM

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Power Supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Hard Drive #1: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Hard Drive #2: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Optical Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU Cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM Kit #1: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM Kit #2: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU #1: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU #2: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That all adds up to $1341.08. That would be a wicked gaming machine that anyone would be proud to own! It has a great case, aftermarket heat-sink, CF hd6870s, 8gb 1600 CAS 8 RAM, and all the rest of the goodies you would ever need. It fits under that $1500 budget too. Trust me, if you are looking for an upgrade ad can really justify spending that much, go for it! ;) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2011 4:47:06 AM

HostileDonut said:
The LGA 775 socket is dead. People still use it, but most of them are upgrading. They cost a lot and don't perform too great. They do overclock very hight though. I wouldn't put any more money into a LGA 775 system.

Really, young one
how about this benchmark comparison of a Core2Duo E6750 at 2.66 vs your x 3 440 at 3.0

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/119?vs=60

the 440 will win the multihreaded benches due to extra core
but in Crysis Warhead is a tie
remember the E6750 is slower clock
remember it is easy to get the CPU to 4.0ghz on good air

look at this bench of Q9550 C2Q vs the 440

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/119?vs=50

the 440 is annihilated by a slower chip
and the COre2Quads will OC just as high if not higher than yours

Be careful with the advice you give
Check your facts
You are very young (13) and maybe dont realize the effect your
advice can have on somebody here

People here may invest thousands of dollars of money they worked for
and budgeted carefully based on your advice

You will understand when you are older about working and budgeting money
especially when you have a family to support
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2011 5:07:51 AM

Just because the chip has a slower clock doesn't mean it is slow. AMD and Intel clocks are different. I would not buy any LGA 775 because they are not worth sinking the money into. C2Q would obviously win vs. a 440. Just because I am 14 doesn't mean I don't understand computers. Don't spend any money on LGA775. LGA775 is dead...
m
l
April 15, 2011 5:20:09 AM

Decent Older Quads for the 775 platform are expensive unless you can save some money and buy second hand, but you could be taking a risk. It would still be cheaper than buying a New CPU, Motherboad and Ram but is it really worth investing in an old platform. I went from a q6600 3.0Ghz (Mine didn't overclock that well) to a new i5 2500 build and the difference has been huge especially rendering Videos, even gaming feels smoother with the same graphics card. If you upgrade the platform shortly down the road after buying a 775 quad then you'll be paying more in the long run.
m
l
April 15, 2011 5:26:25 AM

Your E8500 is still a very nice processor. Unless there is a specific task its unable to perform to your satisfaction you should hang onto it until the next wave of tech hits....
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2011 5:28:15 AM

your statement was "they dont perform too great"

my point was based on that statement

now for example a Q9650 beats a 965 be
but would I spend the money on a Q9650

absolutely not
i would pick the 965

Core2Quads are ridiculously over priced

but performance wise they are still a very viable cpu

if you currently have a Q9xxx series then really no reason to upgrade

of course building a new LGA775 system at retail price is is out of the question

what was said of return of investment is also important

right now the OP could get a C2Q q66600 for around 150 usd if shopped carefully
especially if willing to buy used

if he OC the Q6600 to 3.2
easy to do
then for a 150 dollar investment his system would be fine for a couple of years
depending on his needs

of course he hes a 1500 budget so money is not really an issue
if somebody in same position wanted performance increase
with an under two hundred dollar budget
then getting the Q6600 would be the way to go

this thread is about the life or viability of LGA775
to write it off and tell somebody to get a complete
new system because the LGA775 is dead
is im my humble opinion wrong

I will tell you this
you do know alot for your age
more than alot of adults

that build you put together is great
I couldnt come up with better build
for the money

but consider all factors before telling somebody to write off there
system as a Dead platform
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2011 5:51:39 AM

Okay, I see your points. They are completely valid. I wouldn't buy a q6600 used though. It could have been used for someone that OCed a lot and used high-voltage. If he needs something to pull him through two more years, the CPU he has now is fine. He doesn't have a C2Q though, and he needs an upgrade. So, I suggested that he just make a new build because investing in LGA775 is foolish if he only needs a year or two more out of LGA775. Also, the q9650 and 965 trade blows. I wouldn't say the q9650 is better in performance, but I also wouldn't say the 965 better. Check it out: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/102?vs=49
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2011 5:53:54 AM

Also, he asked if he should just buy a whole new system. I said yes.
m
l
April 15, 2011 6:14:21 AM

king smp said:
this thread is about the life or viability of LGA775
to write it off and tell somebody to get a complete
new system because the LGA775 is dead
is im my humble opinion wrong

I will tell you this
you do know alot for your age
more than alot of adults

that build you put together is great
I couldnt come up with better build
for the money

but consider all factors before telling somebody to write off there
system as a Dead platform

that was actually a great build. i tried to piece one together, and it came up just over 1500. its all good :) . only thing i would be worried about would be fitting those 2 6870s in a mid case. i currently have an extended 4850, 2 1tb wd black HDDs. those alone are space/wiring nightmares. add in another video card and it would be extremely tight.

in terms of roi, i usually keep a desktop for a good 5-6 years. my last rig was a amd 2200 build, and it lasted until 2008. agp x8 and all that good old tech. it only died because i was OC on the stock cpu fan, and wanted to see how high i could get it before it fried. only thing i upgraded on that thing was more ram, and a better gpu.

i think ill end up sitting on my build for now. upgrade my gpu and relax for a bit. eventually roll out to a q9650 and get it over 4ghz on air. grab an SSD for the OS and a couple games. too much new technology in such a short time span , but as a consumer im not complaining one bit :D 
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2011 6:17:00 AM

Well, if you are waiting on a new machine, my biggest advice is KEEP UP WITH THE NEW TECH! It will help you much, MUCH more when you actually build a new system. I hope I helped! :D  ;) 
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
April 15, 2011 6:19:06 AM

I buy used CPUs alot
never had a problem so far :) 

It comes down to he has enough available funds for a nice new build
I do think he should wait for Q4 2011

pick up a 6950/6970 or 560/570 for now
nice improvement

then just hold off to about January 2012
and see what develops

I wouldnt wait more than that though

A little edge goes to the 9650
also remember lower clock on 9650
and performance possiblity
with being OCd

be honest
I am sure if you had a OCd QX9650 you wouldnt be
so quick to call the LGA775 a bad performer

everything else you have said has been good info
calling Good Ole LGA775 a bad performer is going
to annoy us Ole Timers LOL

I didnt mean to insult you
You seem like a very nice intelligent young man
Your system is a good rig also
very good choices in compenents
would absolutely destroy my rig :) 
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2011 6:26:49 AM

Don't worry about insulting me! :lol:  You had perfectly valid points! I didn't say it was weak, but I said it wasn't that great of a performer. When it comes down to price is what I mean. Sorry if I gave anyone the wrong idea, the c2q 9650 is still good, just not worth buying anymore. Thanks you for saying I had a nice machine and all the complement! :lol:  I am actually trying to sell it for $530 and building a new on with that and some extra money I had.

Have a night everyone! :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2011 6:39:34 AM

G'night
Great quote BTW
Makes me chuckle every time I read it

I got to change my Avatar and quote
I was in a evil mood that day :) 

Maybe something with puppy dogs and butterflies.......
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2011 6:41:10 AM

Hahha, yeah! Thanks. :) 
m
l
April 15, 2011 7:05:17 AM

you guys both have very good ideas and rigs. id go 6950/6970 just for the fact of 2GB card since the 580 fermi guys are maxing out their memory on those cards, thus the 3gb cards are flying off the shelfs when using aa at extreme high resolutions. but thats for a different thread :) 
m
l
April 15, 2011 7:06:15 AM

Best answer selected by quinto_94.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2011 7:07:58 AM

If you get a hd6950 2gb reference card, you can unlock it into a hd6970 with the dual BIOS. ;) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2011 7:12:20 AM

Thank you very much for selecting me as best answer
Was a very enjoyable thread
Have fun with new card

m
l
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2011 7:14:24 AM

HostileDonut said:
If you get a hd6950 2gb reference card, you can unlock it into a hd6970 with the dual BIOS. ;) 

then in future upgrade run two of those in CF
would make for a formidable system

though I am hearing that newer 6950s might have bios locked
dont recall exact details though
m
l
April 15, 2011 7:18:40 AM

that is true, however i dont mind paying the extra 70 bucks for more shaders, can OC it higher, and already have an aftermarket fan on it. also when it would be paired with a 6990 down the road, it would still be a crazy thing to have for tri-crossfire, or even another 6970 have better than a 6990 at stock speeds cf'd.
m
l
April 15, 2011 7:21:04 AM

your welcome king.

im surprised by this kids knowledge. then again i knew quite a bit then as well, but things weren't as complex as today. single core cpus, ram in the single digits, agp x8 gpus, etc. things were just getting interesting.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2011 7:21:28 AM

"Twin 6970s is a beautiful upgrade path" he said with a gentle jealous tone.
LOL

smart thinking
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2011 7:24:52 AM

quinto_94 said:
your welcome king.

im surprised by this kids knowledge. then again i knew quite a bit then as well, but things weren't as complex as today. single core cpus, ram in the single digits, agp x8 gpus, etc. things were just getting interesting.

At 14 I was using a TRS-80 Color Computer Motorola 6809e 8/16 bit CP 2.77 mhz CPU (OC to 4.77 mhz)128mb ram Microsoft Basic language with
a 5 1/4 floppy drive and a Audio Cassette drive and a Dot Matrix printer and a 300 baud telephone modem

When I got the 1200 baud modem it was sooo fast......
m
l
April 15, 2011 8:45:32 AM

yeah you guys are on track I was looking to build a cheeper system and found the 775 socket to be much more advantages in regards I found that you could get alot more cpu's for the price .. and your laughing but I built a dang 3.46 ghz Celeron D LGA775 processor with a asrock 4CoreDual-VSTA mother board 2gb of Ocz 667 ram and graphics card with 1GB's of DDR2 memory.. never done this before..

I know know that the processor speed and cababilty is limited by the bus speed and the latency of the memory controller or the north bridge and under a severe load by the FSb Rating.. and if the sytem cant move the data in an out of the chip fast enough especially under heavy video outputs and well for me.. I have Black ops and Photoshop.. yes and this thing is cool! we will see how the 775 does.. but next time when i really want to build a computer im definately going to get something that doesnt have a bus alltogether and now the CPU's memory controllers already in them i think that is your sandy bridge that your talking about' let me get this right the ram is like the chalk board and the cpu is like the teacher..

ps "I learned alot"
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
April 15, 2011 11:39:29 AM

king smp said:
At 14 I was using a TRS-80 Color Computer Motorola 6809e 8/16 bit CP 2.77 mhz CPU (OC to 4.77 mhz)128mb ram Microsoft Basic language with
a 5 1/4 floppy drive and a Audio Cassette drive and a Dot Matrix printer and a 300 baud telephone modem

When I got the 1200 baud modem it was sooo fast......

Noob. :) 
In 1976, I built (wirewrapped, mostly) a micro for a friend using an RCA COSMAC 1802 running Forth. My friend really liked Forth.

And there are probably people still around here who built S-100 bus systems.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2011 5:15:51 PM

jsc said:
Noob. :) 
In 1976, I built (wirewrapped, mostly) a micro for a friend using an RCA COSMAC 1802 running Forth. My friend really liked Forth.

And there are probably people still around here who built S-100 bus systems.

I bow to you, sir.

Of course in 1976 I was SIX years old if that is any excuse :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2011 5:53:38 PM

quinto_94 said:
that is true, however i dont mind paying the extra 70 bucks for more shaders, can OC it higher, and already have an aftermarket fan on it. also when it would be paired with a 6990 down the road, it would still be a crazy thing to have for tri-crossfire, or even another 6970 have better than a 6990 at stock speeds cf'd.

Well, the thing about unlocking it is that you get all of the shaders without paying for them. It's a great deal. If you are spending around the hd6970's price, just get a GTX 570 if you motherboard supports SLi. Although, if you already have a aftermarket cooler for it, I guess go with the hd6970.
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
April 15, 2011 6:08:46 PM

HostileDonut said:

The 6950 1GB can also do this. Some people think the 1GB cannot be unlocked but that is only because they try to flash the 6970 2GB bios. You can just unlock the shaders then overclock to 6970 speeds.

Note that no 6950 1GB that I know of has a dual bios. So there won't be that to fall back on.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2011 6:17:44 PM

enzo matrix said:
The 6950 1GB can also do this. Some people think the 1GB cannot be unlocked but that is only because they try to flash the 6970 2GB bios. You can just unlock the shaders then overclock to 6970 speeds.

Note that no 6950 1GB that I know of has a dual bios. So there won't be that to fall back on.

I did not know that. Thank you for telling me. It makes the 1gb hd6950 sound like even a better buy.
m
l
!