1920x1080 vs 1920x1200

andy_93

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
I read alot of the questions asked on here and i see that alot of people when talking about graphics and displays and higher end cards they are either playing at or want to play at 1920x1080. Now i have a Acer G24 monitor and its natural res is 1920x1200,so thats what i play my games at,i dont mess about with the settings but i do get alot of screen tear in every game i play,now i never did until i brought this monitor.I have two 1 gig 4870`s` running in CF,would there be any difference in performance or genral look of a game if i went to 1920x1080

Zenthar

Distinguished
Playing games at a resolution of 1920x1200 will require a bit more GPU power yes because of the extra "pixels" that need rendering. Still I suggest you set your games and Windows desktop at your screen's native resolution it will be a MUCH sharper image.

The 1920x1080 computer screen is fairly new and exists mostly to accommodate 1080p, but my opinion is that for a computer screen, 1920x1200 is much better, the extra vertical pixels can make quite a difference when you work.

First thing I noticed going to an lCD ( 22" ) from CRT was that the top of what you saw while gaming seemed to be chopped off. Going to a 1920x1200 ( 28" ) gave it back. A much better gaming experience and better SDK experience.

Zenthar

Distinguished
Games can handle the extra resolution in different ways. Some will show a more detailed image, some will give you a greater viewing angle. Not all games are the same.

firebird

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2004
If you're getting a lot of screen tear, try setting vsync on to cap the FPS @ you monitors refresh rate. That usually does the trick.

andy_93

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Yes i do have to have Vsync on but the funny thing is is that i did not get any when using my older xerox 19" monitor but this Acer G24 is really bad for is,so its goodbye high frame rate but the games are still very playable at the capped 60Fps.

andy_93

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Yes my drivers are upto date,well i say upto date i have gone back to 10.10,when i installed 10.11 and played F1 2010 the game had gone quite glichy.I dont get any tearing now with Vsync on,i just woundered why i never had tearing on a older monitor.You would think a newer monitor would be better than a old one.

With v-sync disabled, tearing is a crap shoot. It has a lot to do with how the refresh rate and FPS you are getting line up. The increased resolution changed this balance.

And to put your mind at ease. You say things are playable at 60 FPS, but even if you had 5,000 FPS, you'd only see 60 FPS, as that is all your monitor is able to display. There is no advantage to having more FPS than your refresh rate allows. So not only is it playable, it's the same displayed FPS as if you had 200 FPS.

andy_93

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Oh i see,well thanks for that,ill just leave Vysnc enabled then,my older monitor then must have been capable of more FPS i take it.Thanks to all for the replies.

It's not that the monitor was more capable, it's just the smaller sized monitor you used to have, likely had a lower resolution. Lower resolutions are less stressfull on the GPU, so they generate more FPS.

Another possibility is that your previous monitor could have been a CRT, which likely had a higher refresh rate than your current LCD. CRT's, due to flickering, usually had higher refresh rates to counter act that, but that also means your displayed FPS cap is higher.

andy_93

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Well there is definatly food for thought there when purchasing a monitor.My old one was a LCD also,like the one i have now but just smaller but at least i know now that there is no problem with the monitor,phew lol.

Cheers,andy.