Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GTX 480 power supply cables question

Last response: in Components
April 14, 2011 11:59:43 PM

Hi,

I have a Thermaltake Toughpower 750 watt psu and am upgrading my computer. I have a GTX 480 which requires an 8 pin PCI Express connector which I don't have. An optional cable adapter was supplied for the 8 pin connection which takes a 6 pin connector, and two 3 pin big white molex connectors and joins them into an 8 pin connector that works fine. My concern is that this mightn't be as stable as a direct 8 pin connector. I'm not going to be using SLI or probably won't be overclocking. Will this setup be reliable? the psu puts out 60 amps by the way. Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,
Ned
April 15, 2011 12:33:52 AM

Thanks for the reply Davcon,

I might have an older version of the psu, the 8 pin connector that comes with the power supply only fits into the motherboard and not the graphics card.

Ned
m
l
Related resources
a c 275 ) Power supply
April 15, 2011 12:43:26 AM

Xivilai said:
Thanks for the reply Davcon,

I might have an older version of the psu, the 8 pin connector that comes with the power supply only fits into the motherboard and not the graphics card.

Ned

You most likely have this version which is very good.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...
You'll be fine using the supplied gpu adapter.
No worries:) 
m
l
April 15, 2011 9:34:30 AM

Thanks for the replies :) 

I've had this psu for about 4 years now and it should have plenty more life left in it :) 

I was just worried a little because its an expensive card and I thought I had read somewhere that using adaptors weren't great, or could cause system instability.

Thanks again,
Ned
m
l

Best solution

a c 144 ) Power supply
April 15, 2011 11:02:42 AM

I do not know why the graphics card manufactures even bothered with the 6+2 pin connector.

Yes, it is supposed to have an increased current capacity. But look at the six pin plug. It has 3 hot wires (yellow 12 volt lines) and three ground wires (the black ones). Now look at the 6+2 connector. It has the same 3 hot wires, but it adds 2 extra ground wires for a total of 5 ground wires.

Now, I used to think I knew a little about electronics (45 years experience), but will someone please explain how adding ground wires will increase current capacity?

Xivilai, just use the 6 pin PCIe power connectors. They will work fine.
April 22, 2011 9:50:48 AM

Thank you JSC for the advice :) 
m
l
May 4, 2011 10:50:47 AM

Best answer selected by Xivilai.
m
l
!