Sign in with
Your question

VGA connection gives better picture quality than HDMI

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 19, 2010 9:01:22 PM

Hello,
I recently assembled an HTPC to replace my half-dead laptop HTPC with the following spec
AMD X4 635, 4GB ram, 500GB HDD
Nvidia gt240 w/512 DDR2

My old laptop is HP dv1000 screen dead has only VGA out put.

I was really excited about my new PC and I connected it via HDMI to my 42inch 1080P LCD TV.

I played a 1080P HD youtube video and had excellent clarity.
Then I tried to play an SD youtube home video clipping and the clarity was horrible.
Played the same video thru my old laptop connect via VGA and the clarity was very good.

Would you guys please help me understand why the HDMI clarity was horrible?

recently I purchased a blu-ray player and tried to play teh same video thru hdmi - same results.

Appreciate your help!
Paul.

November 20, 2010 8:13:57 AM

Well I am sort of new to this part of technology myself but I would suspect that your HD TV and your HDMI setup simply do not enjoy SD. This is not unsual. HD TV's like an HD source and that starts right back at the video clip itself. You say that the 1080P clip was fine so that meant your source matched your output. When you played SD through VGA it worked out as the source again shares the same standard as the output in this instance VGA. It is possible the Blu Ray you played was not sourced from the original footage but is actually SD Footage rerendered. LCD in particular is unforgiving of inferior media. Plasma seems to cope a little better in the same circumstances.
m
l
November 20, 2010 4:03:33 PM

Your post title statement is questionable-

Is the hdmi cable of good quality ?

Normally these screens and cable are meant for HD. I guess you cant connect it with vga ?
m
l
Related resources
November 20, 2010 7:25:55 PM

The TV's in question generally have HMDI inputs and a VGA for older computers.
m
l
November 20, 2010 8:23:36 PM

Sd via HDMI is like watching a VHS lol use a VGA. HDMI was made for HD!! its all digital but i thing SD is analog :)  nothing wrong with your build my friend :p 
m
l
a c 86 Î Nvidia
a b D Laptop
November 20, 2010 8:46:05 PM

Paul, I haven't seen you mention anything about how the scaling from SD (480i) to 1080p is being performed.

Is the TV doing the scaling or did you let the graphics card device driver perform the scaling before the video is sent to the TV?

Are the scaling settings for the graphics card device driver different on the laptop and the HTPC?

I would expect the upscaled SD image to look awful (pixelation artifacts) at 1080p if the TV is doing the upscaling.
m
l
November 30, 2010 1:39:15 PM

ko888 said:
Paul, I haven't seen you mention anything about how the scaling from SD (480i) to 1080p is being performed.

Is the TV doing the scaling or did you let the graphics card device driver perform the scaling before the video is sent to the TV?

Are the scaling settings for the graphics card device driver different on the laptop and the HTPC?

I would expect the upscaled SD image to look awful (pixelation artifacts) at 1080p if the TV is doing the upscaling.

Thanks for the reply!
The information you provided seems to be the problem.

I have a ATI 4350 card w 512MB DDR2 RAM . I have not set any scaling. Could you please help me understand how to set the scaling?
m
l
a c 86 Î Nvidia
a b D Laptop
November 30, 2010 8:39:38 PM

In your original post you said the graphics card is an "Nvidia gt240 w/512 DDR2". I'd be able to guide you through the NVIDIA Control Panel if you had that card.

Unfortunately I don't own a system with an AMD (FYI it's not ATI anymore) Radeon graphics card so I'm unable to guide you through the Catalyst Control Center (CCC).

With the NVIDIA Control Panel there are settings under the "Adjust desktop size and position" option that present four options when using a resolution lower than your display's native resolution. Look for something equivalent to the following in the Catalyst Control Center and try the different options to determine if it solves your problem.

• Use NVIDIA scaling
Description:
Stretches the desktop to fit the entire display screen, even if the aspect ratio is not the same.

Typical usage scenarios:
• Make the desktop image as large as possible on your display

• Use NVIDIA scaling with fixed-aspect ratio
Description:
Stretches the desktop as much as possible to fit the display while maintaining the aspect ratio. If the desktop has a different aspect ratio than the display, there may be black bands around the desktop.

Typical usage scenarios:
• The shape of the desktop looks distorted

• Use my display's built-in scaling
Description:
The display will scale the image your graphics card generates. All scaling is performed and modified by the display, not the NVIDIA graphics card.

Typical usage scenarios:
• You prefer the visual quality of your display's built-in scaling

• Do not scale
Description:
The display image remains the original size and is centered on your display screen. This may result in small, but crisp image. The remaining area around the image is surrounded by black bars.

Typical usage scenarios:
• Your desktop appears blurry when scaled
m
l
December 1, 2010 1:30:39 PM

Thanks for the quick reply I will try what you have suggested.(BTW when I connect thru VGA I can do full screen with out any issue - I mean clarity seems to be okay)
I bought a fanless AMD/ATI 4350 card w/512MB DDR2 RAM recently and replaced the GT240 thinking its a card issue.
I have another card lying around (Frys thanksgiving sale) is galaxy GT210 with 512MB ram with fan
m
l
!