Micro Stutter Nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anile8er

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Hi all,
I have been having the biggest nightmare with my pc for a few months now and am seriously thinking of quitting PC gaming forever. Basically I put together a system with the below specs,

Intel I7 930 CPU
Asus P6T SE Mobo
ATI HD5870 Vid Card
Hitachi 1TB 7200 HD
12GB OCZ 1600Mhz Ram
Sound Blaster XFI Fat Edition
Coolermaster 750 Watt PS
Running Win 7 Ultimate 64
I noticed that every game I play with this system shows high FPS but there is a sort stutter all the time and some frame skipping every second or so for a millisecond. It's bad enough for me that I can't even play any game without getting frustrated. Games I have tried are Crysis BFBC2 Crysis 2 Hawx 2 F1, 2010 GTA 4 all Total War games even need for speed most wanted. I thought initially that it might be software so I decided to install windows fresh on a separate partition and just install the basic drivers and a few games. Issue wasn't resolved so I thought it might be a combination of the hardware. I went and bought a Intel I7 960 and a Asus Sabertooth X58 plus I switched to Nvidia and got 2 X GTX 570 SLI. Tried the new hardware same issue, mixed and matched with the old hardware same issue! Tried with SLI and without as well. I decided maybe it was my HD since there was spikes showing in HDtune where the speed would drop as low as 8mbs. Changed to a 1.5tb drive migrated everything to that drive.. same issue!!! Then I figured must be the socket type. Tried the new Sandy Bridge I7 2600k with the Asus Sabertooth P67 along with some corsair dual channel RAM.... same issue!!!!!. Thought maybe it's the asus mobos went and bought the best gigabyte mobo for the same socket... same issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I finally decided it must be intel making crazy CPU's that are not optimized properly for gaming. Went out and bought the best AMD chip the phenom 6 core 1100t with the crosshair iv. Same issue lol. I have tried using the latest drivers and bios for all the mobos, cpus, and vid cards. Played with alot of settings in the BIOS. I defragged my drive. I took my PC to a repair shop for the first time in my life and they had no idea what to do. I really do not know what to try if anyone could help you will be doing the gaming world a good deed because I am one step away from having a nice PC bonfire in my back yard!

Solution
You've changed pretty much everything in your PC, and it's extremely unlikely the same issue would affect so many games on what is effectively 2 or 3 different PC builds. The only thing I didn't see was a DVD drive, but I'm not clear on how that would cause anything - but give it a shot anyway.

What about your monitor cable? What's your PC plugged into? Could be worth getting a decent extension (not a £1.99 thing) and / or switching wall sockets. Change your PSU cable as well. Does it happen on DVDs / Blurays or just games?

Can YOU run furmark with no issues? You took the box into the techies, but they'd have hooked it up to their supply and their display equipment. It would be an idea to run it yourself with your own setup and see...

cor33

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
Well I don't really know what else to say, from your description you practically rebuilt your PC 2 times...what was the only thing left the same those times the PS? Try maybe swapping that out for a different one?
When you describe all the things you swapped out(basically changing every component)....it would be like saying I went and tried the games on my friends computer and the stuttering was still there!

I had stuttering in Crysis 2 for a while driving me nuts and I switched it to windowed mode instead of full screen and now its smooth as butter and I have an old e6750.

How does your computer feel outside of games, does it seem really stable and fast?

Anile8er

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Hi all,
Outside of games the pc is fast as hell. I did a mem test that passed and have tried 2 different sets of ram same issue. I also forgot to mention I did try a 1000 watt PSU with no luck. When I took my PC in the guys ran furmark for hours with no issue. One thing I did try tonight was a smaller monitor that renders at 1680x1050. The stutter is a bit better on most games it still is there but its a bit more bareable thats for sure. Only problem is its really hard to live with that resolution when coming from a 1920x1200 monitor. My next plan of action is to try my friends monitor which is a 1920x1080 hopefully that helps.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
You've changed pretty much everything in your PC, and it's extremely unlikely the same issue would affect so many games on what is effectively 2 or 3 different PC builds. The only thing I didn't see was a DVD drive, but I'm not clear on how that would cause anything - but give it a shot anyway.

What about your monitor cable? What's your PC plugged into? Could be worth getting a decent extension (not a £1.99 thing) and / or switching wall sockets. Change your PSU cable as well. Does it happen on DVDs / Blurays or just games?

Can YOU run furmark with no issues? You took the box into the techies, but they'd have hooked it up to their supply and their display equipment. It would be an idea to run it yourself with your own setup and see how it goes. However, if it just tests the internals, and they're fine, then you'll not see an issue. I'm guessing this is external kit, not internal - the likelihood of a fault persisting over the amount of hardware you've used and being inside the PC is extremely small.

Solution

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Old 5870 problem. Open up Msi afterburner check the temps on it. Your ram is overheating

He's swapped the motherboard, RAM and graphics card out and is still getting the same problem (from how I've read it). This would rule out the 5870 issue - helpful to note it, though. :)

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
that's why I said he must check the temps. If the core is hot then the vram will have a much higher temps. That's why the 5870 coolers were so popular with its ram heatsinks. Not saying its definitely his current problem he can just check the gpu temps and see what the temps are

Initially, the 5870 issue would be a candidate for troubleshooting. But he's removed that from the equation by running essentially a new PC with a completely different graphics setup (both SLI and non-SLI) and still getting the same problem. Seeing as his 5870 is likely sitting on a shelf in an anti-static bag, I think it's safe to remove it from the list of potential culprits. :)

Given that he's changed so many things and the issue has persisted, I think it's more something to do with his power supply from the wall or his peripheral display equipment.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Google 5870 micro stuttering and see for yourselves

I think you're missing what I'm saying. :) I absolutely accept that the 5870 can cause stuttering issues...never used one myself, so I'm not saying you're wrong.

What I'm saying is that if you read what the OP has said, he's tried other cards and setups when the 5870 isn't in his system. Can you explain how the 5870 causes stuttering if it's not installed? :sarcastic:

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
just google Amd micro stutter and see what gpu pops up the most. One of the cap drivers suppose to fix it but they got problems with BFBC 2

Why? As stated, I'm not debating this. Have you read the thread, or just seen 'stutter' and '5870' in the first post then jumped in...? :)

If the issue went away as soon as he removed the 5870, we'd not be having this conversation and the problem would be solved. If you read the thread, you'll see he's taken the 5870 card out(as in, no longer part of the system) and the problem remains- how do you explain this? If the 5870 was causing the initial issue, changing to an nvidia card would resolve it.

Few places to turn other than this ... ^^^^^ winner of Sherlock Holmes Deductive Reasoning Award

He could check his volt delivery at-the-wall with a Kill-A-Watt, and also verify there is no other significant load on that individual circuit. Also check for volt-swings & possible 'time-of-day' issues dependent upon 'peak-load' at his local power plant.

It's generally universal that electrical codes allow any circuit to be loaded 80%:

1) A 15 amp circuit (14ga) --- 15 x 120v = 1800w x .8 = 1440 watts total on circuit; or
2) A 20 amp circuit (12ga) --- 20 x 120v = 2400w x .8 = 1920 watts total on the circuit.

It would not be unreasonable for the actual volt delivery on the circuit to be less than 120v --- significantly so in many cases. A circuit with low base volts:

1) A 15 amp circuit (14ga) --- 15 x 105v = 1575w x .8 = 1260 watts total on circuit; or
2) A 20 amp circuit (12ga) --- 20 x 105v = 2100w x .8 = 1680 watts total on the circuit.

A circuit with the computer plus other load(s) that has low base volts (and voltage fluctuations) would be a bummer.

majin ssj eric

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
I find the premise of this entire thread flawed. I can't believe that anybody would just go out and buy whole new builds as a reaction to "micro-stuttering" and I further can't believe that every one of those builds still had the same problem with totally different hardware.

Anile8er

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Sorry guys it looks like the issue is me. I had a friend take a look and on most games were I notice stutter he did not. I dont know if that is a good thing for me or not. Bottom line is I am screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.