Sign in with
Your question

Just when I thought I knew motherboards..

Last response: in Components
April 15, 2011 4:57:35 AM

First off, I would be totally lost without some of the help from people from these forums and articles written. Kudos to all of you!

So I thought I had a fairly good grasp on the basics of motherboards, but I'm sure as some of you know, it's not just slots and connectors. So, my confidence in making a good decision on one isn't where I'd like it to be. Being new to the building scene, I've tried soaking up all the info I could on everything that was anything. I'm planning on buying am i7-2600k and a Radeon 6950, but here's where I get confused. I need to be able to overclock my CPU, and still have potential for crossfire capability down the road. From what I could tell, it wasn't until the $150 range that I was able to satisfy both of these needs. I don't need to go overboard with a $300 MB since I don't see the use for something I may very well never fully utilize. I hear great things about Asus' boards, and like their "standards" they've implemented on all their boards, so, that's what I've been looking at.

I'm hoping to skip past the shortcomings some new people find themselves in when building their first system, and that's where you guys come in. I'll be overclocking my CPU and flashing the 6950 with 6970 firmware (not sure that even matters here). I'm completely clueless, as of now, about voltages for RAM and what's best to pair with my system. As far as use goes, I'll be pwning some noobs, and editing/rendering video with Adobe software. I'm open to suggestions or reasons why I would want to spend a little extra for a nicer board, or not to worry about the extra bells and whistles, etc. I'd like to keep cost lower to allow freedom for other components if possible.

ASUS P8P67-M or ASUS P8P67
  • Looks good to me, and seems to have what I need, but I don't have the experience to know whether or not I'll end up kicking myself for not getting a better board.

GIGABYTE GA-P67X-UD3-B3 w/picture

• It's newer, but seems capable to handle what I'd need as an alternative solution

ASRock P67 EXTREME4

• I like the overall setup of this MB, but I don't think I could ever see myself using all the features on it (3 PCI slots for example)

I leave my fate in your hands. ;) 
    a c 107 V Motherboard
    April 15, 2011 5:22:41 AM

Out of those 3, only the extreme4 has x8/x8 for crossfire. For Asus, you'd need the pro and for gigabyte you'd need the ud4. These 3 are all good choices but the Asrock is the lowest price.
    April 15, 2011 5:28:42 AM

k1114 said:
    Out of those 3, only the extreme4 has x8/x8 for crossfire. For Asus, you'd need the pro and for gigabyte you'd need the ud4. These 3 are all good choices but the Asrock is the lowest price.

I figured the pro for Asus was the way to go. I wasn't able to find the one I had seen the other day though. It seems like the Asrock will be the best bet. I'm just waiting to see if anyone else feels like dropping in their 2 cents about what I'll need with a MB. Crossfire is completely secondary. Good support and interface for what I want to accomplish is more important for me.
    Related resources
    April 15, 2011 6:04:40 AM

Quote:
    What's your budget?

$800-1000 for all my gear. I have the HD, DVD rom covered, and sound card covered. I didn't see myself paying more than $200 for a MB as that seemed a bit overkill for me. Don't get me wrong, I love my gaming and all, but I think the benefit of going up in cost for features seems to diminish to me. I could easily be under the wrong impression though.
    April 15, 2011 6:24:28 AM

Quote:
    thought you want one with cf support?
    The more expensive the board the better its efficiency and its overclock ability. The features added on is just a small part of it.
    This one is going for 140usd and supports X8/x8
    MSI P67A-G45 B3 P67 SATA6Gb/s USB3.0 SLI/CF 8x/8x ATX

All the ones I listed have CF support. I noticed that board as well. It seems like I'll just have to try my luck with a mid range board. My guess is as good as anyone's I suppose unless someone can chime in with some more solid advice.
    April 15, 2011 6:30:16 AM

Quote:
    The AsRock board cost more and it has a few bios problems still that needed to be sorted out. They're a company of Asus AsRock.
    Msi one is just as good and its 10 usd cheaper.
    Do you have a powersupply

I'll be shooting for a 750w PSU when all is said and done.
    April 15, 2011 6:37:43 AM

Quote:
    First two Asus boards got 1 Pci-e slot. First one is a m-atx btw. 2nd one is more expensive and also got one Pci-e x16 which shares with the x1 and with the Usb 3.0 connectors. So those ain't the best ones

My bad on the Asus boards. I was after the pro ones and wasn't paying attn to what I was linking I guess. The Asrock seems to be the best bet. It's not something I'm getting right this moment, but rather when things go on sale or drop in price for a day or something.
    April 15, 2011 6:45:24 AM

Quote:
    go for the Seasonic 620w. Its going for 90usd more than enough power.
    Are you going to do the bios flash with the 6950?
    Do you have a cooler?

Yes on the bios flash, undecided on the cooler, and I was shooting for a 650w PSU to be honest. I figured that the HAF 922 case might be able to do the job for cooling purposes. Keep in mind I'll only be doing one video card for now.
    April 15, 2011 6:53:02 AM

Quote:
    the pro got cf support but its a m-atx board. AsRock bios will probably improve but there was issues with it keeping the settings and if you wanna oc the ram only got profiles where you can choose from rather than setting it yourself. Otherwise if your not bother about that and paying 10usd more then go for it. But the Msi mobo is the same quality with the same features. Just remember to get a cooler that stock cooler on the 2600k ain't the best. Reminds me of the stuff Dell use to throw in their pcs lol

Oh yes, CPU cooler for sure. I was thinking water cooling support. I think you got me sold on the MSI board. Reviews and features look great.
    April 15, 2011 7:27:15 AM

Quote:
    reviews are good but they don't tell you user experience and small things that irretate the user. That's why I always go to place where people test it as soon as a latest bios comes out they normally post their problems. Its quite a few pages to read through but you'll see what board got what problems. Go here
    http://www.hwbot.org/forum/showthread.php?p=105926#post...

Cooler do your really want water? It needs a lot of attention otherwise like a fish tank your fish inside will die if you neglect it

It was only a fleeting thought. Nothing I was really serious about. Thanks for the info. You've been most helpful from your phone :) 
    a b V Motherboard
    April 15, 2011 6:15:11 PM

Personally i dont think you should scrimp on your motherboard after all its what brings everything together, heres the puppy i will be buying for my next build,

ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
    !