Sign in with
Your question

Please Help With Future Ivy Bridge Upgrade

Last response: in Systems
January 18, 2011 11:46:52 PM

Greetings, and thank you in advance for checking this thread to help!
....and yes, I believe in planning ahead :) 

I built my current system 2 years ago to cope with mostly mundane tasks....and one big one; x.264 encoding.
I want to upgrade to a system that will accept Ivy Bridge when it is released, and be the fastest system-for-the-buck - hence the reason to eschew the LGA1366 and the 980x; fast, but the cost/benefit ratio is absurd. I will stick with LGA1155.
Q: Will I be able to reactivate my Windows XP sp3 32-bit? Or will MS not allow that? Is there any speed benefit to going to 7 @ 64-bit?

May I ask for either confirmation on my choices below, or, suggestions on what would better to achieve my ends. Also, I never game, and I'd like to change only the MB, Ram, and CPU....for now.
This Asus P8P67 motherboard looks good.
As does the Intel 2600k
Memory! I am so uncertain here, I don't know what to do! Is this Gskill DDR3 1600 OK?
January 19, 2011 1:31:51 PM

Your choices indicate you will be overclocking, and using a dedicated card for graphics. Is this correct? It might be helpful to list what you already have, and what you intend to do - the i7-2600k is a hefty processor; do you really need it for "mostly mundane tasks"? The money you save by scaling back some of the hardware might be better spent on an extra monitor, or an SSD.

If you fill out this form it will help tremendously: How To Ask For New Build Advice

The P8P67 Pro in your link is a fine motherboard, supporting quad SLI/Crossfire for heavy gaming rigs and lots of overclocking features. Would not necessarily recommend it for a non-gamer - the regular P8P67 has the same OC features, but looks like it may have some production problems.

There is no reason of which I am aware why XP would not work - it is slower to boot, but speed is not that much of a factor. The biggest advantage in my mind for WIN7-64 bit is the ability to exceed 4GB of memory.

The link is broken to the RAM, but Gskill DDR3 1600 is a good product. You might not notice the difference with 1333 speed, but once again, it depends on what you want to do.
m
l
January 19, 2011 3:25:22 PM

You are correct, I changed the link to the P8PO67, in that the PRO has more than I will ever need. And thank you for pointing out the QC problems ASUS is having with it, but I will accept the RMA if I have to.

I am sure the XP will work, I am hoping Microsoft will not deny me reauthentication because I changed my rig.
Which is as follows:
Case: Antec 300
PSU: Corsair 450VX
Motherboard: Asus P5Q-Pro
CPU: Intel Q9300
Noctua NH-D14 cooler
Ram: Gskill 4gb DDR2 1100 mHz
GPU: Asus EN9500GT
HD: 3 Seagates: 500, 1TB, 1.5TB @ 1.5 speed
Optical: LG GGW-H20L BD burner

Approximate Purchase Date: Today (1-18-2011)
Budget Range: $500-$600
System Usage from Most: encoding, Least Important: internet
Parts Not Required: I have all the above - will only change MB, CPU, RAM
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com
Country of Origin: U.S.A.
Parts Preferences: by brand or type: Intel, ASUS, Gskill
Overclocking: Yes, sometimes as needed
SLI or Crossfire: No
Monitor Resolution: 1280x1024
Additional Comments: I wish to be ready to pop in a Ivy Bridge CPU when it comes out

Please let me know if I can provide any more information and thanks again!
m
l
Related resources
January 19, 2011 4:32:25 PM

Pull the trigger! Your selections are good to go. Can I have your old parts?
m
l
January 19, 2011 4:43:38 PM

You'll find them on Ebay in a couple of weeks if you are interested. I figure $250 for all three would give the buyer a heck of a bargain.
m
l
!