Sign in with
Your question

Building My first PC but I'm over my budget.

Last response: in Components
April 15, 2011 7:33:45 AM

I'm building my first PC. I want this PC to be Gaming worthy and i want it to last a while before being far behind the curve. I've put together a wish list but I've gone about 500 above my $1100 goal.

Here is the wish list.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how i can bring down my price without significantly lowering it's performance?

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll284/fdpelison/PCse...

More about : building budget

April 15, 2011 8:12:12 AM

Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM SATA2 hard drive
Gigabyte Super Overclock GV-N560SO-1GI-950 GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB graphics card
ASRock P67 Pro3 B3 mainboard
Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600 memory
Intel i5-2500K processor
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus cooler
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

New total (including the power supply, optical drive, and case on your list): $1192

Not quite as powerful as your wish list, but still quite respectable as a game machine for now and the future. You can overclock it later to get even more longevity out of it. I have a similar system and it's superb for gaming.

Edit: Thanks for the reminder on the cooler, a4rocks!
April 15, 2011 8:19:31 AM

You can go for the Corsair Dominator (3x2GB) RAM Kits. I am guessing you will need a bigger PSU for the specs you have mentioned above, at least a 750W if not more. Go to the link below and check your Power requirements-
http://www.coolermaster.outervision.com/index.jsp

You can scratch the Lian Li case for a Cooler Master HAF 922. It would be providing much better value. Also, you can take an nVIDIA GTX 560Ti for now and then if you think you want more performance later, just SLI the two of them and get that performance boost. Also, I think that setup would be cheaper than the single GTX 580 card. Also if you will be planning to overclock, I would suggest you add a Cooler Master Hyper+ 212 to the configuration. Would do wonders.
Related resources
April 15, 2011 8:27:41 AM

The Pro3 board I suggested doesn't do SLI/CrossFire. If you wanted that capability, I would suggest:

ASRock P67 Extreme4 B3 mainboard

It adds $35 more to the total. You could easily make that up by going with a $100 case instead of that Lian Li.
April 15, 2011 8:32:55 AM

Leaps-from-Shadows said:
The Pro3 board I suggested doesn't do SLI/CrossFire. If you wanted that capability, I would suggest:

ASRock P67 Extreme4 B3 mainboard

It adds $35 more to the total. You could easily make that up by going with a $100 case instead of that Lian Li.

Wouldn't the HAF 922 be a better replacement for the Lian Li? And would the ASRock Extreme4 B3 be a better MB than the ASUS P8P67 PRO?
April 15, 2011 9:06:11 AM

The case choice is a matter of taste. Some people just like aluminum cases -- way back when I went with this damn ugly $250 Lian Li dark tan / light brown painted case just because it was aluminum. Now I use a HAF 912.

Is the ASRock Extreme4 better than the ASUS Pro? Nope. But it's cheaper, and most people won't use the extras that the Pro has. The OP was already going with the regular P8P67 anyway and the Extreme4 is basically the same as that board.
April 15, 2011 10:38:25 AM

a4rocks said:
You can go for the Corsair Dominator (3x2GB) RAM Kits. .

That is a triple channel kit. Get either a 2X2 GB or 2X4 GB kit.
Let's face it. If you are $500 over an 1100 budget, you need to reduce expectations.

Although I would never buy an Asrock motherboard, Leaps has a pretty good system listed.

a b 4 Gaming
April 15, 2011 1:54:26 PM

I haven't used any of their Intel boards yet, but the ASrock AMD boards I've used (three or four different models) have all been solid.
I can't see the original list ("Media Sharing" sites are blocked at work), but Leaps' parts look good.
To further lower cost, you could cut the RAM back to 2x2GB of DDR3-1333; any performance difference under DDR3-1600 would be noticed only in benchmarks.
If the OP is willing to lower a setting or two in some titles, getting a 1GB GTX460 would be a perfectly valid choice in order to make budget.
a b 4 Gaming
April 15, 2011 1:59:32 PM

Take a look at the Rosewill gaming cases, or the Enermax Hoplite. With Coolermaster on my personal "do not buy" list for minor but consistent quality issues (and liar-labels on many of their PSUs), I've been impressed with the features and absence of quality issues with Rosewill.
April 15, 2011 2:41:36 PM

Why don't you get a 500GB Caviar Blue HD for like $40 instead?

~$75 savings

i5-2500k instead of i7-2600k ( you won't need the extra threads for gaming):

~$100 savings (more if you get it + a mobo from microcenter)

You prob won't notice the difference in getting 1866 RAM: why don't you just get some DDR3-1333 RAM? 4GB is about $40 on average, so if you get 8GB that will save you $50, $90 if you only get 4GB which is all you'll prob use. (I have troubles trying to use > 4GB when I'm trying to do it ON PURPOSE!)

~$50

---
~$225 in savings, $275 if you only get 4GB of RAM.

your main cost is obviously in that video card, but I'm assuming that's a "have to have" item? Otherwise, that's where you can trim the fat the most.
April 15, 2011 6:14:21 PM

jsc said:
That is a triple channel kit. Get either a 2X2 GB or 2X4 GB kit.

Ouch! Sorry for the error. Just goofed up and forgot about the dual channel. Thanks for the heads-up.

ensignlee said:
Why don't you get a 500GB Caviar Blue HD for like $40 instead?

~$75 savings

i5-2500k instead of i7-2600k ( you won't need the extra threads for gaming):

~$100 savings (more if you get it + a mobo from microcenter)

You prob won't notice the difference in getting 1866 RAM: why don't you just get some DDR3-1333 RAM? 4GB is about $40 on average, so if you get 8GB that will save you $50, $90 if you only get 4GB which is all you'll prob use. (I have troubles trying to use > 4GB when I'm trying to do it ON PURPOSE!)

~$50

---
~$225 in savings, $275 if you only get 4GB of RAM.

your main cost is obviously in that video card, but I'm assuming that's a "have to have" item? Otherwise, that's where you can trim the fat the most.

+10, you actually have a pretty good list of alternatives listed there. Quite nice.

Onus said:
Take a look at the Rosewill gaming cases, or the Enermax Hoplite. With Coolermaster on my personal "do not buy" list for minor but consistent quality issues (and liar-labels on many of their PSUs), I've been impressed with the features and absence of quality issues with Rosewill.

Any specific issues you had with Cooler Master with respect to quality? Coz if I am gonna build a PC in my country (India), I am gonna strictly have to stick to Cooler Master especially for cooling solutions (fan, CPU coolers), Cases and PSUs thanks to poor marketing skills of the other ignorant brands.
a b 4 Gaming
April 15, 2011 9:03:49 PM

Well, the problems were all minor, and either correctable or not affecting performance; things like untapped screw holes, weak/useless tool-free mounts, panel misalignment (probably in initial assembly; the force I had to use to straighten one implied a force that would have left damage on the shipping box). There's an almost 1/16" "bump" remaining where the front panel of my RC-690 meets the top panel. Still, I got tired of it, and have switched to other brands; Rosewill mostly.
!