Is Asrock N68-VS3 UCC good enough??

Status
Not open for further replies.

waspzz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
My Foxconn MOBO was busted and I bought the cheapest AM3 MOBO that I can find, which is Asrock N68-VS3 UCC.

Now Im planning to upgrade my PC :D . I wanted to know if my board can handle higher end components.

I currently have:
AMD Athlon II x4
4 Gig RAM
Nvidia GTX 460

Im planning to upgrade to:
AMD Phenom II x6
Add another stick of 4Gig RAM
Nvidia GTX 580

The parts that im planning to buy are all supported by the Mobo but Im not just confident that a cheap board can handle it :??: .

Any thoughts??

Solution
Actually i have a Phenom II x6 1055T and 8GB of 1333MHz RAM (2, 4GB sticks) and an ATI HD 6670 on it and i am able to upgrade my GPU to a 6950 with a power upgrade (450W will not hold up to that monster) so yes, This is a perfectly fine MOBO for your setup. GoodLuck :wahoo:
yes, it should be fine.
People always make an odd mistake in thinking that a better mobo will make things faster, which is not the case. A better motherboard provides a longer lifetime, better OC support, and most importantly a better feature set. The speed of the board is determined by the buses on said board, and yours is perfectly appropriate for such a build. It is a small build, which means limited expandability, but there is nothing to keep you from doing what you have proposed.

Just make sure your PSU has enough kick for the 580. There is a huge power difference going from the 460 to 580 when it comes to Amp requirements.

waspzz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010

I just bought a new PSU - its FSP Everest 80plus 800w. You think its ok for GTX 580??

LawL_Vengeance

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Actually i have a Phenom II x6 1055T and 8GB of 1333MHz RAM (2, 4GB sticks) and an ATI HD 6670 on it and i am able to upgrade my GPU to a 6950 with a power upgrade (450W will not hold up to that monster) so yes, This is a perfectly fine MOBO for your setup. GoodLuck :wahoo:

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.