Ram/processor compatibility

DocButters

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
I just recently purchased a HP Pavilion p7-1007c and would like to update the RAM on the system. I have found this information regarding it's compatibility. . .

Memory upgrade information,
Dual channel memory architecture
Four DDR3 DIMMs (240-pin) sockets
PC3-8500 (DDR3-1066)
PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333)
Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
Supports 1GB, 2GB, and 4GB DDR3 DIMMs
Supports up to 16 GB on 64-bit systems
Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit PCs
*32-bit PCs cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.

So my question, will this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145312

be compatible with this processor/motherboard? It matches the 240-pin PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333) specs, but the RAM states that it was designed for Intel processors. If these will not work, can someone point me in the right direction? I'm looking for a 4x4gb setup.

Solution

Most new games definitely require more than 2 cores. Or even 2 cores with 2 hyperthreaded cores. Games like BF3 don't care if you have real cores or hyperthreaded cores, it's all the same. If you play MMO's you definitely want a quad core.

I would not bother upgrading your system to a quad core, unless you know the cpu is supported for a fact, and you can get it for around $100. Otherwise, I would recommend you save up for a new motheboard and cpu when your ready. Dumping a bunch of money into an outdated system isn't very smart and you certainly don't need...
It's possible, but 1.5v ram might be safer to use. I recommend you pull out one of your original sticks and check the label first. I use gskill ripjawsX for my amd board, which is about half the price of the dominator. I don't recommend you pay a premium for ram; your board can't take advantage of it.

DocButters

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Im attempting to plan for the future, which will eventually a new cpu and motherboard. And honestly, the cosmetics are a pretty big selling point as well. It matches the blue box lights setup I have planned.

What am I looking for on the original stick, the voltage or the type?

DocButters

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
It comes factory with 1 Samsung 2gb 1Rx8 PC3 10600U, which I found is 1.5v; and 1 Hynix 4gb 2Rx8 PC3 10600U, which according to Google is rare and no one has information on it.

Is the voltage an issue for the motherboard or the power supply, because next on the list is video card and power supply.

You not going to be able to upgrade the cpu on that motherboard. It's not an AM3+ motherboard and it has a 95w tdp limitation. That's what happens when you buy a HP or any other cheap pre-built. The only thing you could "upgrade" to is a slower Phenom II X4 or possible very slow X6, but it has to be 95w or less.

8GB is going to be overkill, but it's cheap, 16GB is just ridiculous unless your doing something with your computer that uses HUGE amounts of ram, and a faster cpu would likely benefit your much more than the extra 8GB of ram.

So your going to pass up 16GB of ram for $50 and pay $140 so you can have pretty blue lights to match your HP case.......OK....if you want pretty blue lights buy some pretty blue lighted case fans for cheap.

DocButters

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
How, I'm newer at this than I thought lol. I've been doing some reading and I was under the impression that you could upgrade to something like these. . .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103934
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103913

Wouldn't the cut of .2gbs be worth it having a x6? or even a x4?

As for the RAM, I'm going to go with the Corsair that geekapproves sent me. . .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145315&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3899435&SID=skim1402X558040X4ee1b1142947bdacc344829678ce54e7

The only reason I wanted to go with the 16gb was that it seemed like a good deal to get all 4 4gb sticks with the fan, that way if I ever upgraded even to a new mother board, I could have all the accessories to go with it. As for the computer, my whole plan from the start was to begin from scratch, but I got the HP with a 1tb HD with all the fixins shipped for $250, so I thought it would be a good system to build up on until I could support it with the pricier hardware.

So since we got this ball rollin, and before I go and blow a wad of cash on something overkill lol, what would be a good video card for this rig? I want to run dual screens, and eventually flip those two vertical and get a larger for the center, and be able to run games. Not anything crazy, but enough to be playable.

Actually those Kingstons are only $19.99 per 8GB with the rebate and this promo code EMCYTZT986. I would get those, that's about as cheap as you'll ever see.

Anyways, no you cannot upgrade to either of those cpu's cause they are 125w, your board has a 95w limitation, which is typical of cheap pre-built pc's.

.2gbs be worth having X6 or X4? I have no idea what your talking about there, .2gbs??

As for a video card, I would go with a 6950 2GB if your running 2/3 screens, however that cpu is going to hold you back in newer games because it only has 2 cores.

DocButters

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
lol sorry nos gbs, idk where I got that from, i meant to say a .2Ghz loss, for example wouldn't a 3.2Ghz quad core outperform a 3.5Ghz dual core?

Also I've been looking at an ATI 5870, they've been popping up on deal websites for a few weeks in the low $100. Here's some that I found. . .

http://www.bensoutlet.com/products/ati-5870
http://www.bensoutlet.com/products/ati-radeon-hd-5850
Or they had the eyefinity 6 for I believe $40 more but the sale ended

What do you think would be my best choice, if any?

Most new games definitely require more than 2 cores. Or even 2 cores with 2 hyperthreaded cores. Games like BF3 don't care if you have real cores or hyperthreaded cores, it's all the same. If you play MMO's you definitely want a quad core.

I would not bother upgrading your system to a quad core, unless you know the cpu is supported for a fact, and you can get it for around $100. Otherwise, I would recommend you save up for a new motheboard and cpu when your ready. Dumping a bunch of money into an outdated system isn't very smart and you certainly don't need 16gb of ram, especially for $140.

4GB of ram is plenty for 95% of any task your going to do, but since it's going for about $30 for 8GB, you might as well get 8GB.

Solution