Brand new geforce gts 450

mafioso200

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
i just got a brand new geforce gts 450, and i started to to play a game on ultra settings (World of Warcraft) and all i'm getting is 12fps tops... doesn anyone know what is the cause of this, i believe this should be better than the video card i used to have (geforce 9800gt) but i'm getting worse fps.. I don't mind using EVGA Precision to over clock it, just need to know what numbers to clock it to

System Specs:
Intel Pentum D CPU 3.00ghz
2 gb of RAM
Geforce gts 450

Let me know if you need more info on my system

What resolution are you playing at?

Secondly, your Pentium D is probably going to be a little bit of a limitation. WoW has gotten more demanding lately due to expansions. Plus, it's not really any good at multithreading. So the faster your CPU the better, as WoW doesn't use up multi core CPUs anyhow. The Pentium D is fairly aged at this point.

Also, 2GB of RAM (depending on what OS you're using) could be an issue too. Primarily if you have a lot of WoW addons installed and enabled. They can eat up system resources pretty quickly!

Here's how you can tell!! Turn off addons. See if your FPS improves. Reduce graphic settings, see if FPS improves. Reduce your resolution, see if FPS improves.

If these changes improve things, then you've gotten a GPU limitation somehow. If however, reducing settings gives no performance increase, then your system is holding back your GPU.

If reducing the graphic settings gives you a performance increase, this would suggest that your video card is the limitation. :) It may just not be able to handle Ultra High settings. Also keep in mind, where you are at in the game has an affect on this as well. For instance, out in a wilderness area versus in city where lots of people are at. There's more stuff to render that's moving all around.

Check your Shadow settings specifically, as WoW apparently has added new Shadow / Shader affects in recent expansions. Shadows are usually one of the largest performance crippling things in any game. So reduce/remove those and then try different settings to see what plays well.

Also: Make sure you install the LATEST nVidia Forceware driver for your GTS 450. If you're using an older driver that didn't have optimizations/support for the GTS 450 that could certainly make a difference as well. The GTS 450 should certainly show better performance than a Geforce 9800GT.

mafioso200

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
thats wat i tought to that the 450 would be better than the 9800gt.. i tried installing the newest drivers and when i try to run WoW it says i don't have any 3D rendering drivers, and to install directX 9.0/10. but i already have DiretX 11. maybe over clocking will work??

I understood that. But you said that with the latest drivers, WoW tells you there's no 3D rendering drivers and to install DirectX 9.0/10. So I was saying that overclocking won't fix that problem.

If you're getting worse performance with the GTS 450 than with the old 9800GT, there's something not working right somewhere. And it could be a driver related problem (or directX perhaps).

Pre-Programmed? As in you installed Windows while the GTS 450 was already installed? Is that what you mean?

I wonder if there's a PCI-E bandwidth problem. Can you run GPU-Z and see if it shows whether the card is in 8x or 16x bandwidth? I'm also wondering, since you have a Pentium D, if you have an older PCI-E 1.0 slot. Could limit overall performance.

mafioso200

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
no the drivers for the 9800gt where installed before i programed it.

P.S i just callled EVGA and they said to change the Motherboard memory times... but couldn't help me with that since i have a Foxconn Motherboard. anyone know how to do that?

Randomacts

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010

Uninstall the older drivers and install the new 450 drivers that should fix your problems.

mafioso200

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
still at 2GB

I just installed the Street fighter 4 benchmark and i was running at 45.5FPS the game looks realy slow. With my 9800gt i was running that game at 58.5-60FPS easy......

That image distortion points toward two possible problems:

1) Bad video card

2) Addon causing a conflict with WoW.

Here's what you should probably do:

1) Download and Run the free version of 3dMark06 and see how your video card scores. Also watch to see if you get visual distortions.

2) You can also download and run Furmark to benchmark the GPU and see if it causes any problems. This will stress just the video card, and does so very hard. If your GPU has problems, this program will make them pretty obvious.

If you continue getting visual distortions like your screenshot, then you may need to contact the video card manufacturer about replacing it.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
side note on the stating that wow doens't do threading ... wow does thread to up to 4 cores (so the blues say but really only see 2 cores being utilized more than a minor bit).. but 2 cores do show a signifigant advantage over a single core

a dual core cpu would go a long way to helpign you out. and that is probably your bottleneck

also wow esp in a city will utilize up to 3 gigs of ram so depending how much ita keeping cached your 2 gigs might be saturated as well

Hmmm. I haven't played WoW for the last 2 expansions. But I played with a Q6600 and never saw WoW actually thread onto two cores before. Maybe that's a new thing, or something they've improved. Interesting.

The other issue with WoW has to do with latency. I played WoW with Burning Crusade with a Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz with the 8800 GTS 512MB @ 1440x900 and could have FPS issue in cities due to poor latency issues. But the OP is suggesting that things always ran fine, until they upgraded their video card.

mafioso200

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
With Furmark running a benchmark i got

Score: SCORE:697 points (60000 ms)
Max GPU Temp: 41°C
Resolution: 1440x900 (FS) - MSAA: 0X
FPS: min=9 max=21 avg=12
Drivers Forceware 6.14.12.5922 (7-31-2010)

and i have on idea what that means ...

Hmmm. Either you are outside in the cold, or your GPU isn't being pushed very hard. 41C as a max temp while running Furmark is way too low.

Has anyone else tried Furmark on a Pentium D? Does a single core bottleneck Furmark? Honestly, I think you're overdue for a new Processor, Motherboard, and Memory.

Also: It says Forceware 6.14.12.5922 (7-31-2010).
TechPowerUp shows this about your driver:
nv4_disp 6.14.12.5922 (ForceWare 259.22) / XP

Here is a link to the latest drivers:
GeForce 260.99 (10/25/2010)
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-260.99-whql-driver.html