Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Desktops
  • Macintosh
  • Computers
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
April 15, 2011 8:44:12 PM

I am currently looking into buying a new pc and am willing to spend upto £2000 i know my stuff regarding the windows computer, however I have no clue or know anyone that owns a MAC could anyone give me a clue of the perfomance of a MAC? for example if i spend £1600 on a windows desktop will it perform better or not so good as a £1600 MAC........ Thanks

More about : mac windows

a c 179 à CPUs
April 15, 2011 9:43:07 PM

You first need to see if what you want to do on your PC can be done on the mac.
Alot of people I deal with that have mac's also have a windows machine just for their gaming needs. I'm not saying mac's aren't powerfull enough to game, its that the games written for mac are not as plentiful as they are for windows.
a c 507 à CPUs
April 15, 2011 9:50:12 PM

Macs are generally more expensive than PC because Apple controls their hardware. You also pay a premium for the brand name as well.

You would have to spend more money for a Mac to get the same raw performance in a PC.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2011 10:19:16 PM

Linux
April 16, 2011 5:25:25 AM

I second that... Ubuntu all the way.. it's FREE... it's VERY fast.

I have successfully found a Linux replacement for my favorite windows apps.

I am so much more productive today.

I may not know Linux inside and out like I did XP Pro. But the administration is 1000 times better than Win 7.

There are no viruses in Linux. If you have not told linux that a file is executable, then linux simply does not run it.

I only installed a virus scanner for the files I download the email attachments I get... I do not want to "unknowingly" pass anything along.
April 16, 2011 5:36:12 AM

Yes, PC will definitely perform better than MAC but it depends how you configure it.
April 16, 2011 8:04:43 AM

appreciate your answers....... sorry "popatim" should have mentioned that it will be used for gaming quite regularly and as I play games like rail-works and flight simulator i need a powerful system so am not going to go into it any further windows it is.......... a friend gave me a Linux disk to try but I never did guess am just stuck with my ways :) ..... Thanks again
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2011 8:09:59 AM

For you my friend its Windows 7 64bit all the way.
April 16, 2011 8:29:19 AM

Uther39 said:
For you my friend its Windows 7 64bit all the way.

am currently running windows 7 32 bit :(  looked into changing to 64 i have the disc to do it but way to much work involved installing all the drivers and that i upgraded my RAM a few month back 4 gb but am only able to use 3.2 of it because am running the 32bit version :( 
April 16, 2011 8:24:10 PM

I wouldn't use Linux if it paid me $100 every time I turned the computer on. Windows 7 is the best OS ever made IMO....
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2011 10:34:01 PM

majin ssj eric said:
I wouldn't use Linux if it paid me $100 every time I turned the computer on. Windows 7 is the best OS ever made IMO....

Correction Windows 7 is the best Microsoft OS ever made.

If you can name me a category where Windows 7 exceeds your average Linux Distro I'd be surprised. Network Stack? Nope, Security? Nope, Bundle Applications? Nope, Speed and Responsiveness? Nope, Multi-threading Capabilities? Nope... pretty much the only reason Windows is useful is because most Games are built as Windows Executables.

Even The Open Office versions found on Linux are superior to Microsoft Office in every way. Linux is built around the concept of a Hive Mind where individuals (or groups of individuals) freely participate in this Open and Free Market of ideas. Linux is Mutualism pure and simple.
April 17, 2011 1:13:19 AM

Show me the Linux OS that looks and feels as sharp and polished as Win 7. Go ahead, I'll wait....
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2011 6:19:11 AM

this is mac vs windows
not linux vs windows
I love my Win 7 Ultimate
but I am also learning Ubuntu
since I want to try cluster (distributed computing) and
thru linux it is free while with M$
i have to get either the special server 2003 cluster edition
or server 2008 with the cluster software
which if you think win7 is expensive go price out
server 2008 LOL
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2011 6:20:02 AM

my point is each OS serves a purpose
there is no one all in one super OS
yet.....
April 17, 2011 7:34:10 AM

It really depends on what you really want to do with your computer. If you are a heavy gamer, i recommend windows, because you really can't game with Mac. In my experience, the best windows OS out there right now are Windows 7 and possibly Windows XP. Those 2 operating systems never crashed on me. Those 2 operating systems don't take up a lot of RAM, so therefore its fast. Just to let you know, Microsoft will not support Windows XP after 2015; so basically a lot of computer manufactures will not provide drivers for that OS. Linux on the other hard is OK. If you like it simple, you should try Linux. I have linux on one of my computers, but i rarely use it. Linux is just like mac, so if you want a "macalike" OS, but not the Mac itself, get Linux. You can get a windows PC and install Linux on it. If you like, you can keep your Windows OS and keep your Linux OS at the same time, with dual boot.
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2011 9:06:16 AM

or make a Hackintosh though I have never done it myself
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2011 12:30:25 PM

ElMoIsEviL said:
Correction Windows 7 is the best Microsoft OS ever made.

If you can name me a category where Windows 7 exceeds your average Linux Distro I'd be surprised. Network Stack? Nope, Security? Nope, Bundle Applications? Nope, Speed and Responsiveness? Nope, Multi-threading Capabilities? Nope... pretty much the only reason Windows is useful is because most Games are built as Windows Executables.

Even The Open Office versions found on Linux are superior to Microsoft Office in every way. Linux is built around the concept of a Hive Mind where individuals (or groups of individuals) freely participate in this Open and Free Market of ideas. Linux is Mutualism pure and simple.

And if it wasn't for the lack of Adobe software on Linux, I'd use it full-time (sobs quietly at havng to pay another company for another license).
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2011 3:54:14 PM

king smp said:
this is mac vs windows
not linux vs windows
I love my Win 7 Ultimate
but I am also learning Ubuntu
since I want to try cluster (distributed computing) and
thru linux it is free while with M$
i have to get either the special server 2003 cluster edition
or server 2008 with the cluster software
which if you think win7 is expensive go price out
server 2008 LOL

The King has spoken..I havent used a Mac interface..However comparing the slow and sluggish Microsoft to the smooth and nice Ubuntu.My heart goes to Ubuntu.Yes i do still use Windows.But to me it still slow and sluggish..
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2011 10:52:28 PM

Yea minimal Mac experience here also

I have been using latest Ubuntu and Win7
and while I do appreciate Ubuntu I have to say
that Win7 is just as snappy
It used to be that the thread orderer in Linux was much more superior to Windows
but now with Win7 MS caught up
BUT if you need to do hardcore computer work (coding for example)
then Linuz offers more flexibility and power

I wish some Mac guys would come into this thread so we can
hear some debate between Mac and Windows though
April 18, 2011 1:56:12 AM

I just hate Apple because its run by a bunch of commies that want to control every single aspect of your computing life. And you get to pay a ridiculous premium for that distinction on top of it....
April 18, 2011 2:34:02 PM

majin ssj eric said:
Show me the Linux OS that looks and feels as sharp and polished as Win 7. Go ahead, I'll wait....

KDE > Windows 7 interface
Gnome 3 >Windows 7
Unity >windows 7

Slick linux interface 1
http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu195/BeWop/Screensh...

slick linux interface 2
http://www.linoob.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Ubuntu...

slick linux effects 1
http://wiki.compiz.org/Welcome?action=AttachFile&do=get...

slick linux effects 2
http://ronaldarichardson.com/core/wp-content/uploads/20...
+ many more

Windows 7 theme for linux
http://www.geckoandfly.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/w...

Linux that looks like mac
http://experienceubuntu.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/scr...

Enough?????
April 18, 2011 5:35:40 PM

I see I have started off a small debate here :)  from what i gather it seems that the only reason you would want to buy a MAC is 1 of 2 reasons if you don't like windows (for some strange reason :S) or one of the reasons why i fancied one is the fact you can create apps (for apple i phone) has anyone in here got experience in that?
a b à CPUs
April 19, 2011 4:39:33 AM

Well, yes the iPhone software dev SDK is Mac OS X only. SO are the other-Apple developed apps such as Final Cut.
a b à CPUs
April 19, 2011 6:50:11 AM

Collier2010 said:
I am currently looking into buying a new pc and am willing to spend upto £2000 i know my stuff regarding the windows computer, however I have no clue or know anyone that owns a MAC could anyone give me a clue of the perfomance of a MAC? for example if i spend £1600 on a windows desktop will it perform better or not so good as a £1600 MAC........ Thanks

Generally, a Windows PC will destroy a comparably priced Mac in hardware specs/performance. I'd only suggest buying a Mac if you are absolutely dependent on certain Apple-only software. Otherwise they're a ripoff
!