Major PC Issue - Need Help

mjohnson24

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
I have a PC with a gigabyte mobo that everytime i turn it on, it tries to boot but after a few seconds of turning on it shutsdown and restarts and does that continuosly. Ive tried switching out power supplies and a couple other things like memory and video card and still does the same thing. Any ideas on what the issue may be?

Solution
it is usually a ram issue if you can have some to test that would be ideal. I think after you do that and still have a problem then its your mobo.
It sounds like it is trying to find a ram configuration that works.

Do you have compatible ram? Is it in the motherboard qvl list, or is it stated as supported on your motherboard by the ram vendor ram selection app?

You might try booting with just one stick.

Also, is the ram in the proper slots? Check the motherboard manual.

mjohnson24

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Its worked in the past, no problem at all. Ive tried resetting the bios and still nothing. I cant get in the bios at all. it wont get that far. Its only on for a few seconds. I tried putting the ram in the other slots and in different configurations but nothing happened still.

gavenr

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
it is usually a ram issue if you can have some to test that would be ideal. I think after you do that and still have a problem then its your mobo.

Solution
You could check the capacitors on the mobo. If the mobo is the problem, and you're lucky, you might see one bulging, meaning mobo needs to be replaced. If is the mobo, and you're unlucky, you will not see anything, making diagnostics more difficult.
Assuming no changes have been made to the system, it's usually a component that recently failed. Assuming the fixes you already tried were with good components, sound more and more likely it could be the mobo.
one more thing to check: if the CPU overheats rapidly after PC turns on, it can cause the same thing (although usually it just turns the system off). Check the cooling for that CPU (radiator and fan) and give them a good cleaning. I doubt that is the case for you, but it can not hurt anything to do it and eliminate this possibility, however unlikely.

Assoming it worked before, then here are a few things to try:

You might try unplugging the psu from the wall. That will usually reset more than simply using the reset or pwr buttons.

Next step would be to clear the cmos. Your motherboard should have explicit instructions. If all else fails, remove the battery for a few minutes.

mjohnson24

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009

Yea that would be my guess to. Ive looked at the mobo and cant see anything visually and it was working fine one day and it just st there not turned on for a while until recently when i tried to use it and this is what happened. My assumption is the mobo. It can happen to any mobo but this is the second gigabyte mobo its done this on to me. Luckily this one is a work computer and its a spare i was trying to get back on the network for me to have a PC and a MAC both at work. Guess this is why i love Asus and MSI. Never had problems atleast for me i havent. ITs funny i got a MSI board that is the first one they came out with when they first started running dual processor chips on them and that baby is still kicking strong.

mjohnson24

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009

Yea unfortunately its been inplugged from the wall for a while and i just did the resetting my bios part by removing the battery ad still no go.

Another thought on this: you said that it has not been on for a while, and then when turned on this happened. It is (remotely) possible that a foreign body (hair ball, bug, spider, whatever) can effectively short out something on the mobo; even shorting the reset contacts could cause that. If the, say, bug is fried, it will conduct electricity even better, because they're carbon on the outside. At this point, after fiddling with the system for a while, it is very unlikely, but I have actually seen this happen.