Dram led x58

thebeast1022

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
I had a fully working build with a asus sabertooth x58. 12GB DDR3 RAM. i7 950.

The computer has been working perfectly for a year now, but I decided to reformat. When I finished installing windows, it restarted, but no picture appeared on the monitor. The DRAM LED light is lit up, but when i hold down the MemOK! switch it just restarts once and doesn't flash like it is supposed to. I'm almost 100% positive there is no faulty hardware in the build since it was working fine until it reformatted. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

thebeast1022

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
first i reformatted, and when I realized there was a problem, I opened it up to check it out. I made sure all the parts were properly in place, and I cleaned up with some canned air while it was open. I replaced the thermal paste as well after i made sure the processor was seated properly.

thebeast1022

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
fixed all the hardware, but now my cmos is messed up. I think it was deleted completely when I reset it. Now I need to boot from a disk, I put in the motherboards disk that says "Intel X58 Chipset Support DVD Rev.563.02"; how can I get the right recovery disk to reinstall my CMOS?

LOL. If the CMOS was dead, or corrupt.... you'd have a dead board on your hands.....
Meaning it wouldn't boot up to anything.
Now all you need to do is just reset the CMOS/BIOS using the clear CMOS bbutton or if the button doesn't exist, check 2.6 of the User manual for jumper shorting to clear CMOS or remove the CMOS Battery for a minute then put it back in and start the rig.
Then optimize the BIOS.

thebeast1022

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
that's what I did, and then it wouldn't start. I did that a second time, and it booted up. It goes to a screen that says "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"-- unless i have the Motherboard disk in the CD drive. Then it says it detects it and wants to boot from it; it pops up with a screen saying--

Welcome to ASUS Motherboard Make DIsk for DOS Menu
1) Intel AHCI/RAID Driver Disk
2) Marvell 9128 AHCI Driver DIsk
3) FreeDOS command prompt
Please choose 1-3

Any ideas on what my problem is?

Connect your OS HDD to the SATA Port 1 on the Mobo.
Boot into BIOS. Select OS HDD as first Boot Device, disable all other Boot devices.
Save and exit.
You have most probably connected the HDD to one of the ports designated to be used on with the Marvell Chip.

thebeast1022

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
no, that didn't work. just by messing with it now, somehow i got to the windows installation page and it's installing onto my ssd. hopefully it'll be fixed once windows installs and then i can reconnect my other hdd's