Sign in with
Your question

Future of i7-2600k and i5-2500k?

Last response: in CPUs
April 15, 2011 10:22:31 PM

Hi there!

Currently building a new computer and I'm now down to picking the CPU. I've seen many recomendations about the i5 when it comes to gaming as its more bang for the bucks, but how long will it last compared to the i7 in the future?

This will most likely be my last PC in the next 4 years as I'm attending University in Fall 2012 which will become an atleast 3 year pain struggling with my money.

Is it worth getting the i7 just because of the multi threading seeing as it might be used by games in the future? No need to upgrade from the i5 because it's only for real 3D-rendering enthusiasts? Or does it simply not matter? Now is the time to choose as I'm working and I've got the money.

Thank you so much for potential answers :hello: 

More about : future 2600k 2500k

a b à CPUs
April 15, 2011 10:41:54 PM

Wait for Bulldozer in June to see how they compare to sandybridge, then make a decision.
April 15, 2011 10:51:19 PM

Been sitting on a worthless laptop since december so really can't wait any longer. I won't play each and every new game there is since I've certainly not got the time for it, but it would be nice to have something that won't be completely oldschool in a couple of years.

Granted there will come faster CPUs but which of i5 or i7 will (hypothetically) age best?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2011 11:23:11 PM

If you're wanting the system to play the occasional game and then do uni work, the i5 chip will be fine. The extra performance of the i7 doesn't justify the additional cost if you're not doing video editing etc. If you get the i5-2500K and spec your machine for it, you'll also be able to overclock in the future, which will prolong the use of your system (assuming you overclock safely).
a c 147 à CPUs
April 15, 2011 11:30:13 PM

wait as long as you can and buy everything. The longer you wait the cheaper the current parts become, or the more powere you get for the same $. Thats the nice thing about them always coming out with newer faster stuff. :thumbs:
April 15, 2011 11:35:42 PM

diellur said:
If you're wanting the system to play the occasional game and then do uni work, the i5 chip will be fine. The extra performance of the i7 doesn't justify the additional cost if you're not doing video editing etc. If you get the i5-2500K and spec your machine for it, you'll also be able to overclock in the future, which will prolong the use of your system (assuming you overclock safely).

Thanks for the answer! As of now I'd say it will be used mostly as a gaming PC/everyday task PC. But I'm considering taking up photoshop/web design as my major.

If I do, would it pay off having the i7 or is it only if you do heavy video editing and/or CAD/SolidWorks you notice the difference?
April 15, 2011 11:40:05 PM

popatim said:
wait as long as you can and buy everything. The longer you wait the cheaper the current parts become, or the more powere you get for the same $. Thats the nice thing about them always coming out with newer faster stuff. :thumbs:

Thing is, I have already waited since I moved in december and I'm getting really tired of this worthless laptop. It only manages to run Firefox pretty much but barely even that. One could always wait for the better, but I don't need the absolute best things. Just something that can handle a few years of fairly casual gaming and some photoshopping :) 

What's your thought about Hyper threading coming to games? In the distant future or in a few years?
April 15, 2011 11:42:43 PM

Get the i5 and use the $ difference to get a better GPU or more RAM. Hyperthreading in games sucks, now and in the future so no point in getting it. And even in most other apps its still not that good.
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2011 11:43:25 PM

I wouldn't go for the 2600K unless you know that you're going to be heavily using Photoshop or audio/video encoding/decoding/trans-coding software or other professional-level stuff right away.

You're not actually starting Uni until 2012 and then it will take several years before you're actually to the good stuff. That's a good four or five years -- by then you'll want to upgrade anyway.
April 16, 2011 12:17:10 AM

Cheers for the answers guys! Really appreciate it. Getting a whole other respons from my fellow swedes at www.sweclockers.se forum. They usually say go with i7 because it's the most future proof but the approach here is pretty much the opposite :) 

Currently have a thread up about my new build here; http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/309096-13-need-advi...
Currently have the i7 on my list but could aim on improving the SSD for the money I'd save by choosing the i5 instead. Adding a CPU fan also but need to do some more research.

Thanks again!
a c 147 à CPUs
April 16, 2011 12:46:24 AM

Multi-threaded games are here already. 4 cores will be good for a few years.
April 17, 2011 1:19:07 AM

In my opinion i7 always beats i5, no matter what. Sure if your main concern is value for money, the 2500k is all you probably need, but I wanted the best processor I could get and I feel thats the 2600k (sorry 990X, thats how I see it)....
!