Recycled Gigabyte & I5 DOA

chefde

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
First, I'd like to thank everyone here for helping those in need!!!

I was given some computer parts and I'm in the process of assembling a computer. I have done this many times but not for a few years.

Parts:

Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 Mother Board with I5 CPU & Cooler Master

1 stick - 4 gig Gskill DDR3 1333

HIS HD 5830 Graphics

OCZ 600 MXSP Power Supply

Last time they were used all parts were functioning; here's what's happening:

Place MB on Cardboard & put all components in / on using the case switch - LED's on the MB flash, fan just moves a little and then nothing.

Pull all components from MB, turn on and the LED's Flash longer & fan stays on longer but only about 1 second. Then it does the same thing after a couple of seconds (Loops).

I have reset the Bios by jumping and removing the battery.

The PC doesn't stay on long enough but I believe it 's an intermittent beep, no pattern.

Disconnected PS from everything, try the paperclip trick and it runs.

Plugged the PS into another MB/CPU and it works.

I've tried another new 600 watt PS with the same results.

I have searched these boards and found some symptoms; if this has already been discussed, I apologize!!!

Thanks for any help you can provide!

bucknutty

Distinguished
Make sure you have the 4 pin or 8 pin p4 power connector on the board in addition to the 20+4 main power connector.

Check the jumper for resetting the bios. You will need to refrence the maual to make sure the jumper is not in the reset position. Also check any other jumpers like the "+5volt on all the time" jumper. Some board wont power on if that is missing.

Un plug everything and then pull the ram out and try it, if you get the same behavior that indicates the issue is with the board or the CPU. A working board cpu and psu should power on and give a beep code to indicate a ram error. If it does give you a long beep then try some other ram. If it does not try reinstalling the CPU. Make sure you did not get any thermal paste on the mobo pins. Use a small flash light to inspect the mobo socket pins because if one was touched with a finger it can be easily pushed out of wack. The flash light will make a miss aligned pin easy to spot. Use a tooth pic or small soft object to carress the pin back in place.

If you can get the board chip ram to power on then add the GPU. Then plug in mouse and keyboard. And so on. 1 piece at a time to identify what piece is the issue.

You should have just board CPU cpu fan and PSU. Nothing else should be plugged in. Use a little screwdriver to touch the power switch pins to turn on the board and PSU. We are unplugging everything because something as simple as a short in a USB headder on the case or the HD access LED can cause wierd things like not powering up.

chefde

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

Tried it again (out of case & nothing but cpu); same results so it sounds like MB or CPU. The only thing that I'm confused about is when I had the video card and ram in the LED's wouldn't even flash and the fan just twitched once (no loop). Is that an indication of something else???