Req: Laptop Recommendations for Vehicle GPS

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
March 5, 2005 6:41:36 PM

Hello,

I'm looking to install a laptop in a vehicle, and want to use the laptop as
a GPS device. A 12" to 14" would be the best fit and a "standard" screen
rather than a wide screen would seem better for GPS usage.

The Dell Inspiron 700m has a fairly bright 12" screen, but I was also
looking at an IBM T42 with the 14" XGA TFT screen. There may be other models
from other suppliers that are also very good.

I'm looking to spend about $1500 for the laptop and would like to hear any
suggestions from people who already use their laptop for a GPS device.

Thanks.

Paul
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 5, 2005 6:41:37 PM

Old Egypt wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm looking to install a laptop in a vehicle, and want to use the laptop as
> a GPS device. A 12" to 14" would be the best fit and a "standard" screen
> rather than a wide screen would seem better for GPS usage.
>
> The Dell Inspiron 700m has a fairly bright 12" screen, but I was also
> looking at an IBM T42 with the 14" XGA TFT screen. There may be other models
> from other suppliers that are also very good.
>
> I'm looking to spend about $1500 for the laptop and would like to hear any
> suggestions from people who already use their laptop for a GPS device.

One question that comes to mind is, are you using the laptop *only* for GPS?

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 5, 2005 6:41:37 PM

The IBM has some sort of accelerometer technology built into the HD to
automatically park the heads in case of a sudden bump; this might come in
handy should the laptop slip out of its resting place during a sudden stop.

"Old Egypt" <Ramises@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking to install a laptop in a vehicle, and want to use the laptop
> as
> a GPS device. A 12" to 14" would be the best fit and a "standard" screen
> rather than a wide screen would seem better for GPS usage.
>
> The Dell Inspiron 700m has a fairly bright 12" screen, but I was also
> looking at an IBM T42 with the 14" XGA TFT screen. There may be other
> models
> from other suppliers that are also very good.
>
> I'm looking to spend about $1500 for the laptop and would like to hear any
> suggestions from people who already use their laptop for a GPS device.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Paul
a b D Laptop
March 5, 2005 6:41:37 PM

"Capt 'Wild' Bill Kelso, USAAC" <SkyCaptain@WorldOfTomorow.com> wrote in
message news:4229D9F3.62D77715@WorldOfTomorow.com...
> Old Egypt wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm looking to install a laptop in a vehicle, and want to use the laptop
>> as
>> a GPS device. A 12" to 14" would be the best fit and a "standard" screen
>> rather than a wide screen would seem better for GPS usage.
>>
>> The Dell Inspiron 700m has a fairly bright 12" screen, but I was also
>> looking at an IBM T42 with the 14" XGA TFT screen. There may be other
>> models
>> from other suppliers that are also very good.
>>
>> I'm looking to spend about $1500 for the laptop and would like to hear
>> any
>> suggestions from people who already use their laptop for a GPS device.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Paul
>
> A 14" LCD is good, but is a little unwieldy as to mounting/size. I'd go
> with a
> 13" or even 12" LCD if you're looking for a manageable size. If you are
> stuck
> on 14" screens, go with the IBM T2x series. PIII's in the 700-1000mhz
> range,
> and they can be had for LOTS less that $1500.. many can be found for
> $350-$500.
>
> What tracking software do you plan to use? I ask, because if you are
> looking
> for voice prompts or directions, MS Streets & Trips will NOT have voice.
> Go to
> http://www.gpspassion.com for GPS software info.

MapPoint doesn't have a voice capability, but it can be added from a third
party for very little extra, and has always had some of the highest rated
mapping data. It also is the only one of all the current popular offerings
with a programming interface, meaning you could program it yourself or buy a
variety of third-party add-ons (such as the voice output I just mentioned).
March 5, 2005 6:41:37 PM

Old Egypt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking to install a laptop in a vehicle, and want to use the laptop as
> a GPS device. A 12" to 14" would be the best fit and a "standard" screen
> rather than a wide screen would seem better for GPS usage.
>
> The Dell Inspiron 700m has a fairly bright 12" screen, but I was also
> looking at an IBM T42 with the 14" XGA TFT screen. There may be other models
> from other suppliers that are also very good.
>
> I'm looking to spend about $1500 for the laptop and would like to hear any
> suggestions from people who already use their laptop for a GPS device.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Paul

You guys are missing the MOST important criterion.
The display must be readable in DAYLIGHT. Doesn't matter how good the
software is or how crisp the display is if you can't see the darn thing.
I've tried gps with several laptops. NONE of them were readable during
the day. I have a Palm m505 PDA with a transreflective display that is
VERY readable in sunlight...so we know such displays exist.

There's also the notion of ruggedness. If the display hinges break off
after two weeks of bouncing around in a truck, you're hozed.

If it's readable while driving, it's likely to get some sun on it.
Laptops don't like to sit in a closed vehicle in direct sunlight.

If you're a night delivery man, never mind...
mike

..
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
March 5, 2005 8:24:52 PM

Capt 'Wild' Bill Kelso, USAAC wrote:
> mike wrote:
>
>>Old Egypt wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>I'm looking to install a laptop in a vehicle, and want to use the laptop as
>>>a GPS device. A 12" to 14" would be the best fit and a "standard" screen
>>>rather than a wide screen would seem better for GPS usage.
>>>
>>>The Dell Inspiron 700m has a fairly bright 12" screen, but I was also
>>>looking at an IBM T42 with the 14" XGA TFT screen. There may be other models
>>>from other suppliers that are also very good.
>>>
>>>I'm looking to spend about $1500 for the laptop and would like to hear any
>>>suggestions from people who already use their laptop for a GPS device.
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>>>
>>>Paul
>>
>>You guys are missing the MOST important criterion.
>>The display must be readable in DAYLIGHT. Doesn't matter how good the
>>software is or how crisp the display is if you can't see the darn thing.
>>I've tried gps with several laptops. NONE of them were readable during
>>the day. I have a Palm m505 PDA with a transreflective display that is
>>VERY readable in sunlight...so we know such displays exist.
>>
>>There's also the notion of ruggedness. If the display hinges break off
>>after two weeks of bouncing around in a truck, you're hozed.
>>
>>If it's readable while driving, it's likely to get some sun on it.
>>Laptops don't like to sit in a closed vehicle in direct sunlight.
>>
>>If you're a night delivery man, never mind...
>>mike
>

> What seems lost on you is OP didnt mention anything about brightness, he did ask
> about laptops and GPS use... he didnt say anything about PDAs.

Thanks, Capt for the criticism. But you might want to notice that I
didn't say anything about "brightness" either. Sorry to have offended
you with additional RELEVANT display information relative to alternate
technology. In future, I'll try to clear all my posts thru you before I
post. What magnitude of turnaround time should I expect on your edits?
Don't forget the time to actally read and understand.

What follows is for the rest of us. Before criticizing, use your GPS to
find a clue. Most any display is readable where the sun don't shine.
I feel better now.

The sunlight readability of a display is only marginally affected by
it's brightness. It's much more affected by the reflectivity of all the
layers of the display, not just the front surface.

For example...an electroluminescent display has a VERY reflective back
surface. You can put an attenuating filter on the front. If the
transmissivity is 50%, the display gets 50% dimmer, but the ambient
light has to go thru the filter twice and gets 75% dimmer. Significant
net gain in daylight
readability, even though the display is much dimmer. You can do even
better with polarizing filters. Circular polarization works GREAT.
Of course, you still need a good, expensive AR coating on the front.
Yes, Capt, I know electroluminescent
is not a relevant laptop technology, but it's the only one with which I
have first hand experience. I try to limit my input to subjects where I
have a clue. The lesson is the same...reflectivity is your enemy.

I have seen laptops advertised as having a very narrow viewing angle so
you can work on a plane without your neighbor reading the display. That
MIGHT help daylight readability...worth a look.

Bottom line is that laptops are designed to have the best possible specs
at the lowest price. Go for a specialty design or at least try it
outside before you buy it.

As stated before, the palm m505 is EXTREMELY readable in very bright
sunlight. If you could figure out what technology is used there, that's
what you want.

mike

..
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
a b D Laptop
March 5, 2005 8:33:32 PM

"J. Clarke" wrote:

> Capt 'Wild' Bill Kelso, USAAC wrote:
>
> > mike wrote:

> >> You guys are missing the MOST important criterion.
> >> The display must be readable in DAYLIGHT. Doesn't matter how good the
> >> software is or how crisp the display is if you can't see the darn thing.
> >> I've tried gps with several laptops. NONE of them were readable during
> >> the day. I have a Palm m505 PDA with a transreflective display that is
> >> VERY readable in sunlight...so we know such displays exist.
> >>
> >> There's also the notion of ruggedness. If the display hinges break off
> >> after two weeks of bouncing around in a truck, you're hozed.
> >>
> >> If it's readable while driving, it's likely to get some sun on it.
> >> Laptops don't like to sit in a closed vehicle in direct sunlight.
> >>
> >> If you're a night delivery man, never mind...
> >> mike
> >
> > What seems lost on you is OP didnt mention anything about brightness, he
> > did ask about laptops and GPS use... he didnt say anything about PDAs.
>
> Since one cannot use the laptop if one cannot _see_ the laptop (unless one
> is using it purely as a recording device or with voice prompts), it seems
> to me that brightness is a legitimate concern. Having done this myself, I
> agree with Mike that screen visibility may be the overriding concern.

One concern about using a laptop for GPS is when the screen is viewed...
If you're driving, and the laptop's sitting on a seat, you're running
the risk of a *major* accident.

Any thoughts of buying a standalone, dashmounted GPS unit?

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 5, 2005 10:28:03 PM

Thanks for all of the informative information. I appreciate it muchly,
even if there are lurking critics.

So, let's see if I understand this correctly: in your example, a 50%
attenuating filter will allow a gain of 25% daytime brightness?

Can this filter be one of those automotive/household tint films (such
as at http://www.gilafilms.com) on a piece of glass? Or, one of those
privacy/security filters where you need to be in precise perpendicular
angle to the display screen?

Very interesting indeed. I hope to use my IBM notebook for GPS
navigation but also for kiddie's DVD playing in the back seat.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 5, 2005 11:05:40 PM

Notan wrote:

> "J. Clarke" wrote:
>>
>> Capt 'Wild' Bill Kelso, USAAC wrote:

>> > What seems lost on you is OP didnt mention anything about brightness,
>> > he did ask about laptops and GPS use... he didnt say anything about
>> > PDAs.
>>
>> Since one cannot use the laptop if one cannot _see_ the laptop (unless
>> one is using it purely as a recording device or with voice prompts), it
>> seems
>> to me that brightness is a legitimate concern. Having done this myself,
>> I agree with Mike that screen visibility may be the overriding concern.
>
> One concern about using a laptop for GPS is when the screen is viewed...
> If you're driving, and the laptop's sitting on a seat, you're running
> the risk of a *major* accident.
>
> Any thoughts of buying a standalone, dashmounted GPS unit?

That is another issue but there are purpose-made vehicle mounts. Using a
dashmounted unit, unless it has a HUD, doesn't really address the issue.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

On 5 Mar 2005 19:28:03 -0800, twigboy2@gmail.com wrote:

>Thanks for all of the informative information. I appreciate it muchly,
>even if there are lurking critics.
>
>So, let's see if I understand this correctly: in your example, a 50%
>attenuating filter will allow a gain of 25% daytime brightness?
>
>Can this filter be one of those automotive/household tint films (such
>as at http://www.gilafilms.com) on a piece of glass? Or, one of those
>privacy/security filters where you need to be in precise perpendicular
>angle to the display screen?
>
>Very interesting indeed. I hope to use my IBM notebook for GPS
>navigation but also for kiddie's DVD playing in the back seat.

If u just occasionally use it for outdoors, I guess u can try a
filter, but if outdoors *IS* your application, I'd look for one that
is specifically built for outdoors use. U may look at the Panasonic
line of toughbooks, I don't know if any of their models have
daylight-specific screen. Leave that 4u to research.

I have tried using my run-of-the-mill Sony for GPS use and, in
practical terms, unusable 'cuz I can't see the dang thing!
March 6, 2005 2:48:03 AM

twigboy2@gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks for all of the informative information. I appreciate it muchly,
> even if there are lurking critics.
>
> So, let's see if I understand this correctly: in your example, a 50%
> attenuating filter will allow a gain of 25% daytime brightness?

It's a lot more complicated than that. An EL panel has almost 100%
reflectivity. Your laptop screen probably has much lower reflectivity
and you'll get much less "readability gain" from the attenuating filter.

The intensity from the sun in the shade on a bright day is orders of
magnitude greater than what your laptop can put out. You need a REALLY
good optical system to fix this.

If you snoop around at Fry's or Best Buy or some place that has a lot of
laptops on display, you'll see that nicest looking displays have shiny
front surfaces and would be horrible in direct sunlight. You're gonna
want at least a matte finish.

A TFT panel already has a polarizer, so your choice of polarizing
filters is much smaller.

> Can this filter be one of those automotive/household tint films (such
> as at http://www.gilafilms.com) on a piece of glass?

No, you need an industrial grade filter with an industrial grade AR
coating. If you touch it, you put a fingerprint that you can't get off.
Same reason they tell you not to touch the lens on your camera. You can
do an excellent job on the filter then ruin it all with reflections from
the front surface.

Or, one of those
> privacy/security filters where you need to be in precise perpendicular
> angle to the display screen?

This might be worth looking into. I've got no experience, but it's
possible that you could get significant improvement if you could limit
the incident light coming from the viewing direction. Again, any
surface or internal reflections can ruin the whole gain.

You might have better luck asking this kind of question in a group
dedicated to optical stuff.

I don't have the solution, just wanted to alert you to the problem
and suggest you try before you buy.

FWIW, I know several others who have experimented with GPS navigation.
We all said, "Way cool," for about a week, then got bored with it.
Delivery vans and realtors and others who make their living getting from
here to there can benefit from real time GPS navigation. For the rest
of us, it's a very EXPENSIVE toy. If you know where you're going, you
can print a map and directions off your desktop. And you'll be less
likely to get into an accident if you're not squinting at a laptop
display. In the year since I've decommissioned my GPS, I've spent
about 20 cents printing maps that I thought I might need. And I no
longer have to worry about someone breaking my $150 window to steal my
$20 laptop.

mike

> Very interesting indeed. I hope to use my IBM notebook for GPS
> navigation but also for kiddie's DVD playing in the back seat.

..
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
a b D Laptop
March 6, 2005 2:59:16 AM

On 5 Mar 2005 19:28:03 -0800, twigboy2@gmail.com wrote:

>Very interesting indeed. I hope to use my IBM notebook for GPS
>navigation but also for kiddie's DVD playing in the back seat.

Uh.. overlooked this last paragraph.

The only people I have seen using their GPS regularly are those built
into the dash, like stock. The bad daylight visibility of most
notebooks plus the hassle of a wired GPS antena (go bluetooth if u
can), not to mention desk-side GPS software are too hard to use in a
moving vehicle, and this whole laptop-GPS once-in-a-while concept, to
me, personal, it's been a "look ma, I got GPS!" rather than something
I want to use everyday. I have tried and sold back all my gears
until something more auto-friendly becomes available at an
affordable$.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 6, 2005 1:58:36 PM

bobb wrote:

> On 5 Mar 2005 19:28:03 -0800, twigboy2@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>Thanks for all of the informative information. I appreciate it muchly,
>>even if there are lurking critics.
>>
>>So, let's see if I understand this correctly: in your example, a 50%
>>attenuating filter will allow a gain of 25% daytime brightness?
>>
>>Can this filter be one of those automotive/household tint films (such
>>as at http://www.gilafilms.com) on a piece of glass? Or, one of those
>>privacy/security filters where you need to be in precise perpendicular
>>angle to the display screen?
>>
>>Very interesting indeed. I hope to use my IBM notebook for GPS
>>navigation but also for kiddie's DVD playing in the back seat.
>

> If u just occasionally use it for outdoors, I guess u can try a
> filter, but if outdoors *IS* your application, I'd look for one that
> is specifically built for outdoors use. U may look at the Panasonic
> line of toughbooks, I don't know if any of their models have
> daylight-specific screen. Leave that 4u to research.
>
> I have tried using my run-of-the-mill Sony for GPS use and, in
> practical terms, unusable 'cuz I can't see the dang thing!

Personally I find that my PDA laid on the panel over the tach (don't want it
over the speedometer) works pretty well--the "hood" over the instrument
cluster protects it from direct sunlight most of the time and it fits into
my normal instrument scan just fine.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 6, 2005 2:27:27 PM

You're my kind of guy! I have also looked at several of these options but
they do require quite a bit of time and effort to install and still keep the
vehicle looking nice. Also don't want to damage any visible parts that would
affect the resale value. That is why I thought the laptop would be a good
solution.

The GPS systems built into vehicle are the best solution but they add about
$2000 to the cost and you can't take it with you. The stand alone units are
nice but most the screens are small, but from the comments posted here it
appears that reflectivity will be a problem no matter what laptop I get!

As to the vehicle, it is a 2005 GMC Canyon, and unfortunately you couldn't
get an factory installed GPS even if you wanted it. The Jotto Desk is build
like a tank. Almost 1/4" steel plate attached to the seat mounting bolts.
The post for holding the "desk" is to the left of the passenger seat next to
the transmission hump. The actual "desk" can be adjusted so it is located
between the driver and passenger.

A lot to think about!

Paul
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 6, 2005 7:13:50 PM

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 15:41:36 GMT, "Old Egypt" <Ramises@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm looking to install a laptop in a vehicle, and want to use the laptop as
>a GPS device. A 12" to 14" would be the best fit and a "standard" screen
>rather than a wide screen would seem better for GPS usage.
>
>The Dell Inspiron 700m has a fairly bright 12" screen, but I was also
>looking at an IBM T42 with the 14" XGA TFT screen. There may be other models
>from other suppliers that are also very good.
>
>I'm looking to spend about $1500 for the laptop and would like to hear any
>suggestions from people who already use their laptop for a GPS device.

I have both street atlas and streets and trips. The problem witht
both of them is that on my desktop-cpu-based Toshiba t1805-s273, they
will both cause the machine to overheat and lockup in about a half
hour. You need a machine with very good cooling, and I've read a hint
or two that some newer machines may have similar problems under
prolonged heavy cpu loads. Frankly, I'd just buy an in-vehicle system
and forget it, laptops and gps aren't really worth the trouble unless
you will use the laptop in other ways.
Don't buy anthing you can't quickly return.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 7, 2005 7:13:22 PM

> I'm looking to install a laptop in a vehicle, and want to use the laptop as
> a GPS device. A 12" to 14" would be the best fit and a "standard" screen
> rather than a wide screen would seem better for GPS usage.

My opinion - widescreen is better since you can easily fit a normal
square map on the screen while putting all of the navi tools (compass,
turn-by-turn), on the side.

> The Dell Inspiron 700m has a fairly bright 12" screen, but I was also
> looking at an IBM T42 with the 14" XGA TFT screen. There may be other models
> from other suppliers that are also very good.

Here, a day-light readable screen is the best. The Inspiron 6000,
for certain as tested today, can be read in direct sunlight. It's a
little dark, but, unlike many screens of the past, handles it well and
you can easily see where you're going. (That's the 16xx by whatever
resolution screen choice.)

> I'm looking to spend about $1500 for the laptop and would like to hear any
> suggestions from people who already use their laptop for a GPS device.

Here, I'm running a Libretto 110CT 2lbs mini-notebook with Microsoft
Mappoint & AGPS (Advanced GPS for Mappoint) for navi. Works great once
you've got an anti-glare LCD film applied (Optiview by DuPont), and it's
does a great job! nice points: fast enough to give you live updates
with AGPS (266Mhz isn't a speed demon, but runs in real-time with AGPS &
Mappoint), allows for up to 4 hours of battery operation, using the
Billionton CF GPS card in a CF to PCMCIA adapter allows for decent
pickup in a car or outdoors, has all of the auto-routing features I need
to get from A to B, and in the size of a large VHS cassette tape case,
so small, it can go anywhere (even backpacking, bicycling, camping,
etc.) at 2lbs!

L110 sells for ~$200-350 on www.ebay.com + <$100 GPS PCMCIA card +
Mappoint or whatever you decide upon. (I've tried most of them for the
USA, and Streets & Trips/Mappoint has the best screens and easiest to
use auto-routing. Because AGPS only works with Mappoint, I went with
that -- you simply buy an older version (2003, 2004) cheap off ebay.com
since most streets don't change in a year or two.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 8, 2005 3:25:54 PM

"David Chien" <chiendh@uci.edu> wrote in message
news:D 0iqmq$ikv$1@news.service.uci.edu...
>> I'm looking to install a laptop in a vehicle, and want to use the laptop
>> as
>
> Here, I'm running a Libretto 110CT 2lbs mini-notebook with Microsoft
> Mappoint & AGPS (Advanced GPS for Mappoint) for navi. Works great once
> you've got an anti-glare LCD film applied (Optiview by DuPont), and it's

Any suggestions for stockists of Optiview? Can't find any with google.

--
John Blessing
!