Sign in with
Your question

PCProbe vs. CoreTemp...new HSF?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
April 16, 2011 1:58:14 AM

Hello,

I am new to the whole temp-watching business. I have two programs that I'm using right now...I have no OC, my CPU is AMD Phenom II 945 X4, max temp of 62c.

PCProbe II (came with my mobo)
CoreTemp

Question #1
The two programs seem to be saying different things, I was wondering if someone could tell me which is the most reliable? When I am idling, I get about 28c on PCProbe but about 3-4 degrees higher on CoreTemp. When I am on a medium to high load, the degree difference is even greater, maybe 10 degrees.

Question #2
My second question is, would it be worth investing in a third party HSF? I would like to keep my temps out of the 50's if possible, and sometimes it gets there on a high load. Would a non-stock HSF make a huge difference in my temps? If so, what would be a good one to get? I have an antec 300 and m4a89gtd pro/usb3

More about : pcprobe coretemp hsf

April 16, 2011 2:25:53 PM

Most temperature monitoring software cannot read an accurate measurement from some or all CPUs/GPUs. Your best bet is to acquire a selection of monitoring software and find the average assuming they are all within a few degrees.

Choosing the software that gives the highest reasonable temeprature is the best bet as it gives the worst case for your system.

A third party HSF will definately give a marked decrease in tempertures.
m
l
Related resources
April 16, 2011 4:15:37 PM

evilgenius134 said:
Most temperature monitoring software cannot read an accurate measurement from some or all CPUs/GPUs. Your best bet is to acquire a selection of monitoring software and find the average assuming they are all within a few degrees.

Choosing the software that gives the highest reasonable temeprature is the best bet as it gives the worst case for your system.

A third party HSF will definately give a marked decrease in tempertures.

is there a specific brand or model that would be good for an AM3 socket?
m
l
April 13, 2012 8:34:01 PM

if your case can fit it the hyper 212 is the best am3 cooler(at least for air cooling on a budget), however this cooler requires you to remove the motherboard in order to install. If installed correctly you can drop your temps by 6-15c :D 
m
l
Related resources
!