Inspiron 580 Power supply

I bought an Inspiron 580 and I'm going to get a new PSU and GPU, but I can't seem to find the exact dimensions of the one in there now. I want to get an Ultra PSU but I don't know if it will fit. The link below is for the one I want to get. Can anyone help and tell me if this will fit?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3276574
8 answers Last reply
More about inspiron power supply
  1. Your Dell will accept a standard ATX power supply.
    The one you've linked should fit fine.
    Wouldn't be my choice but that's yours to make.
  2. The Ultra LSP you're looking at is probably worse than the power supply you already have. The Inspirons usually have Delta or Lite-On power supplies, and their reliability is usually much higher than that crappy RSY-built thing.

What's the PSU currently present? If it's a 300-350W with a decent +12V capacity than it can probably support most mid-range GPUs just fine, given a molex-PCIe adapter.
  3. The one I have now is a 300 watt Hipro PSU. Never even heard of them. The PSU I have doesn't even have molex plugs. Just SATA and the mother board plugs.
  4. jfrank117 said:
    I bought an Inspiron 580 and I'm going to get a new PSU and GPU, but I can't seem to find the exact dimensions of the one in there now. I want to get an Ultra PSU but I don't know if it will fit. The link below is for the one I want to get. Can anyone help and tell me if this will fit?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3276574

Dimensions of your existing PSU should be 5 1/2" L x 5 7/8" W x 3 3/8" H.
  5. Hipro are alright. The reason you don't hear about these companies--Delta Electronics, Lite-on, Bestec, Hipro, etc, is because they manufacture almost exclusively for major companies, in ginormous quantities for use in low-end PCs. They're better than the whitebox junkers you may get at a mom&pop store for $20 or off ebay, but not up the standards of a high end enthusiast unit.

Anyway, the Ultra LSP series are garbage. Avoid them.

What GPU are you planning on getting, and what's your budget?
  6. Im thinking about getting an HD 5750 or 5770.
  7. I'm actually about to install a 5770 into an HP Pavilion that has a 350W Delta power supply, and I have full confidence that it will work.

A 5750 *might* work for your situation. Hipro aren't quite as reliable or overengineering as Delta, but still pretty decent. Assuming you have at least 20A+ (240W+) of combined +12V capacity you'll be fine with a 5750. Should be on the label somewhere.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies GPUs Inspiron Components Product