Sign in with
Your question

Is Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 over killed?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 20, 2010 9:04:52 PM

Hi,

I am planning to setup a solid PC for my parents. They usually just use it for Web Surfing, Watch Streaming Videos, and Movies. Do you think Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 over killed?

I want to build a solid PC for them so that they don't have to worry of upgrading for awhile (4-5) years. I am thinking of getting a HP ZR24W LCD monitor to accompany that video card.

Since, they don't play any games; I think it's over killed. But then again I want to build a solid system for them.

Thank you for any recommendation.

November 20, 2010 9:55:24 PM

Here is my current spec for the system.

HP 24" IPS ZR24W $399
Intel Core i5 760 $205
Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 $145
Antec 300 $60
WD 1 TB Hard Drive $60
Corsair 550VX $80
Gigabyte GA-P55A-USB3 $139
4GB DDR3 XMS RAM $65
DVD R+/RW Writer $50

Total: $1200.

m
l
November 20, 2010 10:20:01 PM

yes its an overkill as they dont play games. if you have an amd board an AMD 890GX chipset with ATI Radeon HD4290 is enough although not excellent.

If you dont want the onboard GPU:

ATI Radeon HD 5400-very low power consumption (10 watts max). Not good in video games, can not offer truly high quality video playback and will only be able to decode HD video. inaudible (passive cooler) and is also compact.

ATI Radeon HD 5600/5500 right balance between features and power: up to 30W support bit-streaming of lossless audio via HDMI and will eventually support Blu-ray 3D.

Radeon HD 5700-series, excellent quality video playback, consume up to 60W or 77W of power depending on the model. there are models with advanced passive cooling for performance-hungry HTPC user.

m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 20, 2010 10:23:16 PM

Yes you can save cash and get something a lot less powerful.

Any entry level AMD card is sufficient for watching movies. In fact looking at your build you could get the same performance for their needs for half the cost.

Better still, make them a media center. They sure don't need a quad core cpu either.
m
l
November 20, 2010 10:44:56 PM

hurt74 said:
yes its an overkill as they dont play games. if you have an amd board an AMD 890GX chipset with ATI Radeon HD4290 is enough although not excellent.

If you dont want the onboard GPU:

ATI Radeon HD 5400-very low power consumption (10 watts max). Not good in video games, can not offer truly high quality video playback and will only be able to decode HD video. inaudible (passive cooler) and is also compact.

ATI Radeon HD 5600/5500 right balance between features and power: up to 30W support bit-streaming of lossless audio via HDMI and will eventually support Blu-ray 3D.

Radeon HD 5700-series, excellent quality video playback, consume up to 60W or 77W of power depending on the model. there are models with advanced passive cooling for performance-hungry HTPC user.

Thanks hurt74, that does gives me something to compare the 5770 with. Also, your description of each categories is really help full. I wish I can have 3 cards one of each class in my hand to compare directly.

m
l
November 20, 2010 10:46:52 PM

eyefinity said:
Yes you can save cash and get something a lot less powerful.

Any entry level AMD card is sufficient for watching movies. In fact looking at your build you could get the same performance for their needs for half the cost.

Better still, make them a media center. They sure don't need a quad core cpu either.

Thanks, I will be take a look those cards. When you say cutting the cost by half, do you mean cutting my total cost or just the video card and cpu?

m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2010 6:43:48 AM

I mean everything. If all your parents will be doing is watching videos and internet use, you don't need to go near $1200.

Check out this article http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-pc-build-a-p...

Something like that would be a great starting point, then add your own LCD an drives, save yourself a small fortune. You could even cut back on the graphics card.

I'd go with your RAM at $65 over this ones 2gb though.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2010 6:49:31 AM

I would say get the GTS450 or the H5670. Heck, a HD5570 suffices if its only for movies.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
November 21, 2010 1:04:44 PM

On 1900x1080 resoulotion is 1080p HD and i assume they want to watch blu-ray movies.You could make it alot cheapr by goign with an i3,would also agree to getting the 5670 but think about the 5770 as it's better for 1080p viewing and this computer is supposed to last for 5 years.Do they know how to use a blu-ray R/W drive, maybe their intrsted in burning blu-ray movies to watch etc?
m
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
November 21, 2010 3:29:16 PM

Some parts I would swap out from the original components listed....

CPU
Intel Core i3-540 Clarkdale 3.06GHz ------ $120 + Free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

In reality, that CPU is more than enough for your parents. You can opt for the cheaper Intel Pentium G6950 Clarkdale 2.8GHz which is still a dual core CPU for $100 + free shipping:

Motherboard
MSI P55-CD53 LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard --------------- $110 + free shipping

This is a pretty good motherboard. It's not over the top so you are not spending a lot of money it. But it still offers good expansion possibilities.

Video Card
XFX HD 5550 ----------- $65 + Free shipping --------- 10% off w/ promo code BTEZZZS32, ends 11/21 That ends today

Additionally, there is $15 mail-in rebate to reduce the price even more. There is no need to buy a gaming video card for your parents if all they are gonna do is watch movies.

==============================

Keep the HP 24" IPS ZR24W for $399. Do not substitute the 24" Asus monitor recommended by someone else. The Asus uses a TN panel monitor which has poor viewing angles which causes colors to fade (shift) the more off-center the viewer is from the monitor. The HP ZR24W uses an e-IPS panel which has dramatically less color fading than a TN panel monitor like the Asus. Do not cheap out on the monitor because it is going the be the component your parent are most aware of.

Blu-Ray movies are not going demand more and more processing power over the years. Therefore, going with the above suggested "low end" CPU and video card is more than enough.
m
l
November 21, 2010 3:32:42 PM

purple stank said:
On 1900x1080 resoulotion is 1080p HD and i assume they want to watch blu-ray movies.You could make it alot cheapr by goign with an i3,would also agree to getting the 5670 but think about the 5770 as it's better for 1080p viewing and this computer is supposed to last for 5 years.Do they know how to use a blu-ray R/W drive, maybe their intrsted in burning blu-ray movies to watch etc?

purple tank, thanks for the input. No, they don't really watch blue-ray movies or use blu-ray r/w drive. Is that mean 5670 wouldn't be able to hand 1080p viewing?

m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
November 21, 2010 3:40:31 PM

No the 5670 will handle movies fine...I was just thinking about 5 years from now.
m
l
November 21, 2010 3:46:47 PM

Okay, I started watching some youtube videos on Sapphire Radeon HD 5570. That thing is a beast. It definitely an overkill. Maybe, I should get that for myself. :0

I have been looking at some 5570 reviews. It seemed like a decent video card. and most of you are recommending that well. Most of the reviews showed it handles games quite well. They only draw back is HP ZR24W only have DisplayPort input and the 5570 only has HDMI output which means I need to a converter.

For the CPU, I am starting to look into i3 now. Perhaps, that should be adequate....will report back after some later. :) 

Maximum resolution is 2560x1600 on DisplayPort and 1920x1200 on HDMI. IT should be adequate to support the native resolution of HP ZR24W of 1920x1200.

I am wondering whether there a passive cooling version of that one.
m
l
November 21, 2010 3:54:59 PM

Quote:
for a more "subjective speed" difference, cut back on the gpu and add a ssd in the system. i think ur parents will appreciate the faster boot times and overall OS responsiveness.

mayankleoboy1, I am definitely going to look into SSD. Is there any particular brand/model/deal you would suggest? :??: 
m
l
November 21, 2010 4:11:24 PM

jaguar, what PSU to recommend for that MSI motherboard?

Oh, I thought the HP ZR24W is S-IPS and not e-IPS display.

jaguarskx said:
Some parts I would swap out from the original components listed....

CPU
Intel Core i3-540 Clarkdale 3.06GHz ------ $120 + Free shipping

In reality, that CPU is more than enough for your parents. You can opt for the cheaper Intel Pentium G6950 Clarkdale 2.8GHz which is still a dual core CPU for $100 + free shipping:

Motherboard
MSI P55-CD53 LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard --------------- $110 + free shipping

This is a pretty good motherboard. It's not over the top so you are not spending a lot of money it. But it still offers good expansion possibilities.

Video Card
XFX HD 5550 ----------- $65 + Free shipping --------- 10% off w/ promo code BTEZZZS32, ends 11/21 That ends today

Additionally, there is $15 mail-in rebate to reduce the price even more. There is no need to buy a gaming video card for your parents if all they are gonna do is watch movies.

==============================

Keep the HP 24" IPS ZR24W for $399. Do not substitute the 24" Asus monitor recommended by someone else. The Asus uses a TN panel monitor which has poor viewing angles which causes colors to fade (shift) the more off-center the viewer is from the monitor. The HP ZR24W uses an e-IPS panel which has dramatically less color fading than a TN panel monitor like the Asus. Do not cheap out on the monitor because it is going the be the component your parent are most aware of.

Blu-Ray movies are not going demand more and more processing power over the years. Therefore, going with the above suggested "low end" CPU and video card is more than enough.

m
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
November 21, 2010 4:29:07 PM

beansprout said:
jaguar, what PSU to recommend for that MSI motherboard?

Oh, I thought the HP ZR24W is S-IPS and not e-IPS display.

Sorry, it is a S-IPS panel monitor. Mixed it up another monitor...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2010 9:01:57 PM

Any recent ATI card will play movies flawlessly. nVidia too. The only issues you'll have is with intel graphics which are just not good enough.

SSD's are great, but require maintenance. It's unlikely that your parents will have the expertise to use it properly and will end up causing them more problems (which is gonna cause you more problems :p ). I'd forget that, SSD's are enthusiast level parts.
m
l
November 21, 2010 9:43:26 PM

eyefinity said:
Any recent ATI card will play movies flawlessly. nVidia too. The only issues you'll have is with intel graphics which are just not good enough.

SSD's are great, but require maintenance. It's unlikely that your parents will have the expertise to use it properly and will end up causing them more problems (which is gonna cause you more problems :p ). I'd forget that, SSD's are enthusiast level parts.

Yupe, I haven't dive into SSD boot myself. I guess a straight boot from a standard HD would be less problem prone. So far I scaled it down to the following.

HP ZR24W $399
XFX Radeon 5670 $79 AR
Intel Core i3 $114
MSI P55-CD53 LGA $109
1TB WD HD 7200rpm $60
Corsair 430CX $45
DVD RW $50
Antec 300 $60

Grand Total: $1010.25

You guys are saving me $200 already. :)  Hopefully, we get some good deal coming up on BF.

m
l
November 21, 2010 9:50:47 PM

Hmm....Amazon is having the Sapphire Radeon HD5750 1 GB DDR5 for $106.99 with $30 rebay. That makes it $75.00. Free shipping as well and no tax. That is cheaper than the 5670 that I saw earlier.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2010 10:26:54 PM

That's a pretty good deal, but still overkill. Remember that faster gpu's are generally noisier as well, and the last thing you want is the humm of a graphics card while you're trying to watch a dvd. Not sure how much it is with a 5750, but obviously silent is better.

The rest of your build looks reasonable, but $400 for that HP screen seems very...excessive. Surely you can get something similar for a lot less?
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
November 21, 2010 10:32:41 PM

Yah i was looking at all those numbers and it seems like an i3 build for the most part but it's costing 1k.And that just doesn't seem right but it's the monitor that makes it so expensive.For that same price im sure you can get an LED 3D monitor.
m
l
November 21, 2010 11:09:37 PM

eyefinity said:
That's a pretty good deal, but still overkill. Remember that faster gpu's are generally noisier as well, and the last thing you want is the humm of a graphics card while you're trying to watch a dvd. Not sure how much it is with a 5750, but obviously silent is better.

The rest of your build looks reasonable, but $400 for that HP screen seems very...excessive. Surely you can get something similar for a lot less?

I am going to check for Radeon 5570. If there is deal that lower than $75, I will jump on it. For now, I am still keeping looking. :) 

I guess I am still sticking with the ZR24W because I found those cheap TN LCD text tend to be blurry. I used HP LP2475 LCD myself and I have no regret what so ever in spending the extra bucks on it.

m
l
November 21, 2010 11:10:51 PM

purple stank said:
Yah i was looking at all those numbers and it seems like an i3 build for the most part but it's costing 1k.And that just doesn't seem right but it's the monitor that makes it so expensive.For that same price im sure you can get an LED 3D monitor.

Eyefinity, Do you have any particular one in mind?
m
l
November 21, 2010 11:11:42 PM

My apology, I mean that for you, Purple-stank.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
November 21, 2010 11:23:43 PM

I do not know much about monitors but i would think that watching a movie in 3D would be much better.Are you intrested in 3D or are you intrested in just finding a lower priced LCD with the same quality?
m
l
November 21, 2010 11:41:06 PM

purple stank said:
I do not know much about monitors but i would think that watching a movie in 3D would be much better.Are you intrested in 3D or are you intrested in just finding a lower priced LCD with the same quality?

Personally, I think 3D is still for early adopters. I think a good screen for text, graphics, and movies is what I am looking for at the moment.
m
l
!