Will ram increase my frame rate for gaming

ken1970

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
Hi with the stats of my pc as I hope you can see them would adding more ram make my frame rates for gaming improve? If so by how much & would it be enough to warrant a purchase? If not what would the benefits be for my system exactly if i installed memory of an equal value to what is already in my computer? One last thing while I'm here can I see the stats I added to my profile for myself ?

Thanks in advance

neonmonkey

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Well if the configuration on your profile is correct you have 4 gigs of RAM, so no, more RAM won't really help games that much unfortunately.

shreejan86

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
Well, if you already have 4GIGS of RAM upgrading it might not just help in increasing frame rates for gaming. However upgrading RAM is cost effective solution to boost your PC performance. For better gaming experience upgrade your GPU.

Uther39

Distinguished
As you are using Windows 7 64bit there is a definite advantage to upgrading your memory to 8gb, as what alot of people dont realize is that the 64bit variant does actually use more RAM than the 32bit, so yes upgrading will give you an overall system boost, as well as a boost in certain RAM intensive games like, SHOGUN TOTAL WAR.

If your video card is using shared system memory, then going from a 1 x 1GB/2GB stick to 2 x 1GB/2GB will give you a slight performance increase as memory will be running in dual channel mode, but a dedicated video card would show more dramatic FPS.

Most general games have pc's with x64 O/S, 4GB-8GB Ram and dedicated video.

2 things will pick up speed. First the CPU. The faster the better. Secondly the GPU. The faster the better. You can get the fastest ram on the market and only gain a few FPS whereas a faster processor will increase that 10 fold or more. ( ram... got 4gigs ?... it's plenty. )

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Dadiggle:
-One of my friends has windows 7 32-bit and the overall OS takes up much less ram then mine (64bit). I am not sure about applications, but after booting, on idle, 32bit seems to use less ram.

And the OP, assuming you aren't really bottlenecked by anything seriously, if you get the same amount of ram but a much faster version, IE higher frequency and lower latency, it might help game performance.

ken1970

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
Well my graphics card is running the games I play quite well, mainly Half Life 2 & L.O.T.R.O right now & would like to see it play battlefield 3 when it's released but as with all pc's there's always room for improvement. At present though I am happy with the graphics card as it's so new to update it right now is out of the question both financially & because my wife would kill me lol. Thanks fo the guidance guys ;0)

ken1970

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011

Not too sure if my video card is using shared sytem memory, how can I tell?
I would invest in a further 4GB identical ram if it would perform better than running memory in dual channel as they are at the moment.