Time to concede?

will759227

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
I've tried a lot of things and i can't figure out what i do wrong, or what is working and not working, is it time to just take the system to a computer shop?

Basically the last time my rma'd motherboard came back, i was able to get it to post with the VIDEO CARD ON BOARD AND FANS SPIN, But, as soon as i take the PCI power from the power supply and plug it into the card. The computer will not post at all. Just nothing, everything else will work just fine. I am 99.9% sure i tried this last time with the power supply i bought at compusa, and it did the same thing as my old PSU. But, i cannot remember. I guess i could try it again by returning this PSU and buying another (coolermaster 35$ jobber that's like 500watt) My fatal!ty psu seems to work fine, but is it really ? I have lost 2 boards now with this case move, waiting for asus to send me another one. At this point, i have to figure out what is going on.It's either the video card (which on the corner of the board. Near the actual power connector spot, the corner of the board is dented where my kid pulled it off the table and it nose dived and dented the boards corner. I assumed this is why when i plug the power into the card from the PSU that it won't boot. But, i dunno? Maybe i am wrong. I emailed sapphire. Of course i didn't mention the ding, i wanna rma this. Nonetheless what can i do? I don't have another system to test the card in. Should i just take this thing down to best buy or something at least i know is a little reputable? I just want to get my system back working again. So frustrated, and now must wait 2 weeks for the motherboard, but i want to have a plan ready to put into action when it comes back.Anyone have any experience on systems that fail to POST when the video card is plugged in? it's a PCI express card. sapphire radeon hd770 Uses the PCI express 6 pin connector.

I don't want to confuse anyone but before i fried the board by overloading it with fans... The system....

POSTED with the video card in the slot, and no power to it.
would not post with the video card in the slot and power from psu connected to it

We need specs to be able to know how to help you. Try listing every part out. Include model numbers where you can.

I highly doubt it's your motherboard. Motherboard problems are actually really rare as long as you don't do something stupid to fry it. I also doubt it has anything to do with moving to a new case, as a problem caused by the case is typically just a short, which would cause nothing to work. My money's on the PSU.

My guess is that you've got a PSU that can't power the whole system. Since the machine works before you plug in the GPU, and I doubt the GPU is the problem, it's that the extra demands of the system are too much for the PSU. It would help if you hadn't bought budget (read: POS) PSUs to power your system. Coolermaster PSUs are some of the bottom of the barrel. Same for OCZ. Or really, anything that's not Antec, Corsair, Silverstone, XFX or SeaSonic.

The other problem isn't with the build. It's with the user. What the hell are you doing buying PSUs form CompUSA? "Should I just take this...to Best Buy"? Seriously? The morons at Best Buy shouldn't be trusted wih anything more technological than a paperclip, and even then I'd be worried about them hurting themselves. Find yourself an actual computer store (i.e Newegg.com).

So here's my advice on how to fix it. Then go online to Newegg.com or walk into a Microcenter (asuming you're close to one, as they're brick and mortar only) or go online to TigerDirect.com, ZipZoomFly.com or Amazon (if you're really desperate), bascially any REAL computer parts store, and buy a nice 650W from Antec, Corsair, Silverstone, SeaSonic or XFX. It'll likely set you back $60-75, but quality isn't cheap. Use the machine without the 5770 while you're waiting on shipping. Then, once you've got the shiny new, non-POS PSU installed and the machine running, try to RMA the PSU. Try to get your money back. If you can't, take the unused one and sell it on Craiglist or eBay. Or to someone you hate.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Have you tried installing the video card (a.k.a. GPU) in another computer to see if it works? If not, you should do this while waiting for your new/replaced motherboard.

Also, are you 100% positive that you are plugging the PCI-E 6 or 6+2 pin power connector into the GPU and not the 4 (or 4+4 or 8) pin auxillary power? You shouldn't be able to do this, if the connectors are keyed properly, but it could be done with enough force.

What video card (GPU) are you using and what are your system's basic specs, including the make/model of PSU and motherboard?

You are not quite ready for the Geek Squad yet.

will759227

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Yeah i am 100% sure colgeek, and thanks MadAdmiral i do think it's part user error. Heh when i bought the PSU it set me back like $80 on newegg.It had 5 star reviews and i see now it still does with 350+ on newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341022&cm_re=fatal1ty-_-17-341-022-_-Product

it's 550w, if you genuinely think it's that and not the video card, i'll rma the psu. As for the coolermaster i just needed something to test everything with and compusa was closest place. I planned on returning that psu. Money isn't really an issue with this at this point, i will buy what i need to buy to get it to work

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Understood on the proper connectors, wasn't meaning to insult, but you would be amazed (maybe not) what folks try to do from time to time.

That being said, I keep a spare PSU on hand for just such occasions. You can use for troubleshooting and as a spare (I just had to use my backup PSU due a failure and order a new one from the 'Egg). Worth considering.

Have you tried the GPU/video card in another system? If so, what were the results?

Newegg reviews mean nothing.

550W would be enough IF that's what the PSU is actually capable of. You also have to remember that PSU become less powerful over time, so if it's older, it's definitely not providing 550W.

Still, I'm making guesses simply because I don't know what you're running still...

will759227

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Ok here we go.

Well first off . i am using the CM STORM -SCOUT- case. It has

#1 THE CASE = COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119196&cm_re=cm_storm_scout-_-11-119-196-_-Product
#2 PSU OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
#3 CPU I3 530 (stock cooler) Arctic silver 5
#4 GSKILL RIPJAW RAM 2 sticks ddr3-1600 pc3-12800 (2 sticks if i remember right it's 8gb total) 4g each
#5 SAPPHIRE HD 5770 RADEON 1GB GDDR5
#6 Cheap DVD Writer/drive
#7 (500 gig sata hard drive, forget model name, but can find if needed)
#8 asus p7 h55-m pro motherboard

Did i forget anything?

Again all posted fine even with video card on the motherboard,the Video card's fan would spin, i did notice when i plugged in the 6 pin to the (video card) and tried to boot, that's when i would get the no post/no beep situation. But, the video card sounded louder.The lights on the video card did work.I wish i had another pc to try the video card in, my gf's new pc probably could work.But you have to realize right now.I don't wanna touch anyone's pc's (even though i put hers together and it works fine), right now but my own. lol I put this particular PC with all parts mentioned above together last february and it worked on first try. Back then a different case, i wanted a new case for christmas. So i bought the scout.

when i plugged in 2 other fans i think incorrectly or piggybacked a molex or something, because as soon as i started it shut down and the board started to flash the green light, i then removed the 24? the big power connector off the board and plugged back in, i started it, and a small poof of smoke popped up down on the board near the corner (this was all done on cardboard outside of the case) and then the mb light started flashing fast... so i turned it off, and since that point. Motherboard never came back on, including the light.Asus RMA'd that..

will759227

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
When i say i added 2 additional fans... My old case had some fans on it, so i took 2 off that, and mounted them on the side window panel of the scout case. I figured 2 more fans doesn't use much power, i had molex connectors. My Fatal1ty came with so many cables, and really besides the Motherboard,HD/DVD drive and video card.I figured that wouldn't be close to the 550 max, when most people say since it's modular it's really like 650 (dunno). I just told myself, i'd not add those 2 additional fans next time.I just wanna get it back working like before, back last year i oc'd this to i7 heights and it ran very cool.So i want to just get back to normal!

I'm not seeing anything that would push the PSU too far. As much as I despise OCZ PSUs, they aren't that far under their stated wattage.

My next guess would be that you've fried something with all your plugging in and unplugging. Did you make sure to let the machine completely shut down before yanking out cords or plugging them in? Did you make sure to ground yourself before touching anything every time?

To be completely honest, problems getting abuild to boot are extremely hard to diagnose without being there is person. Have you tried everything in the standard troubleshooting thread? There's a link in my signature. I'd try everything there and see if anything changes.

will759227

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
i will wait to RMA anything else until the board comes back, when it comes back.I will go through the entire checklist as ill be starting over, i'll do it on a piece of cardboard.

I did indeed make sure i was grounded, but you know.I might just go by one of those wrist straps because i wanna pinpoint the problem if there is one.
(I did make sure everything was unplugged and light was turned off on the motherboard before anything was unplugged (before the last incident that ended the mb's life lol)
Just read through it, don't see anything there that i don't know/haven't tried so heh we'll see

evilavatar

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
I often cheat and rather than using the wrist straps I took a box of latex gloves home from work. As this is not an option for most people (I work in a clinic) I often suggest those rubber gloves you use for washing dishes. They are kind of clumsy, but than you don't have to worry about static discharge.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Bench time is expensive, thus forums like Tom's where smart folks help others for free -AND- with better advice 99.9999999% of the time. I have a relative that didn't listened to me once about replacing a PSU and how easy it was. She was charged $100 for 5 minutes of effort.

will759227

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Asus is either pulling a fast one on me, or i screwed up packing the motherboard. They are saying CPU pins are bent, i know for a fact when the MB broke, the pins weren't bent, they MAY of been bent by me being a retard and putting the plate cover on wrong... But, i am not even sure on that part. I know i didn't bend or get anything hung on the cpu socket pins to get them bent. They want $120 + shipping and tax to fix, i told them to go F off i can buy cheaper from newegg.So i bought a gigabyte h55 off newegg for like $85. I am done with ASUS motherboards,while some of it was my fault.I am 99.9% sure i didnt bend any pins.sO MY new motherboard from newegg should be here in a few days to start all over again.Christ... I SHOULD of just scrapped this thing and rebuilt with a better board/processor but i am a masochist i guess!

HankB99

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010

:heink:

will759227

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
So after asus basically told me i'm SOL. I went out and bought a gigabyte board.Set it all up, and low and behold. It all booted. Except video card isn't detected, video cards fan spins and even spins up during boot, but no video from the card. The computer posts into windows 7 with or without the video card seated. Interesting thing is the card has 2 green lights on the back. Both are lit, the fan's spinning as usual etc.. But, no detecting and does not work of course.

So video card? I will try to RMA this, please read up on the story of what happened to the card.. I dunno if they will replace it, might be a waste of $6 for return. But, i guess worth a shot? I've come this far.... lol