Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I5 2500k build buying friday

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 19, 2011 5:57:18 PM

Use gaming, just want a nice computer i can upgrade a little. Dont need sli or crossfire. Never over clocked but wouldnt mind learning and playing around with the settings some.

budget $1,000.

i5-2500k and Corsair 650w psu
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

GA-P67A-UD3P
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

EVGA 012-P3-1570-AR GeForce GTX 570
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

COOLER MASTER HAF 922
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS Black dvd
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
January 19, 2011 6:19:39 PM

looks like a good build to me. Nice and solid.
January 19, 2011 6:25:06 PM

ok thanks :) 
Related resources
January 20, 2011 3:01:24 PM

If you have 64bit OS or plan on keeping the pc for a few years, it's best to get 8 gigs instead for a bit more longevity. If you want only 4 gigs for 32bit os, then get a cheaper set:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The mobo you picked out is for Crossfire. If you plan on upgrading to a single GPU, then get a cheaper board instead. The cheapest Gigabyte P67 is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

To get your feet wet in overclocking, the minimum requirement beside a good cpu/ram/mobo combo, it's the cooling.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you live in or near the equator, defo get a 3rd-party cooler or even better, this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Drops my buddy's i5 750 by 5'C idle & 10'C load vs stock fan. He's upgrading the stock fans to Deltas. Also available at the eggs.

What other parts do you need? HDD?
January 20, 2011 3:11:56 PM

only thing i see bad about that case is i will have to buy 2 200mm fans or 4 120mm fans witch for the 200mm there about $18 each so that puts it at about the same price as the 922
January 20, 2011 3:21:40 PM

You don't "have" to buy additional fans for the 912 case. The ones it comes with should cool the case just fine.
January 20, 2011 3:28:16 PM

sandybridge said:
If you have 64bit OS or plan on keeping the pc for a few years, it's best to get 8 gigs instead for a bit more longevity. If you want only 4 gigs for 32bit os, then get a cheaper set:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The mobo you picked out is for Crossfire. If you plan on upgrading to a single GPU, then get a cheaper board instead. The cheapest Gigabyte P67 is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

To get your feet wet in overclocking, the minimum requirement beside a good cpu/ram/mobo combo, it's the cooling.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you live in or near the equator, defo get a 3rd-party cooler or even better, this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Drops my buddy's i5 750 by 5'C idle & 10'C load vs stock fan. He's upgrading the stock fans to Deltas. Also available at the eggs.

What other parts do you need? HDD?



I have a 64bit windows 7. do i need 4 sticks at 2g each or 2 sticks at 4g for the ram? Is that cheap mobo a good one? I have a F3 500g HDD
January 20, 2011 3:30:11 PM

n_scheffel said:
You don't "have" to buy additional fans for the 912 case. The ones it comes with should cool the case just fine.


Two 120mm fans that the case comes with is enough?
January 20, 2011 3:40:50 PM

You don't need to create a wind tunnel inside your PC case to cool your system. Unless you are doing things like massive OCing and/or using multiple GPUs, that case will cool just fine.

Worst case scenario is your system runs a little hot and you buy another fan a week after you complete your build. Just my opinion, but that is better than spending 2x the amount you need to on a case up front.
January 20, 2011 3:52:17 PM

n_scheffel said:
You don't need to create a wind tunnel inside your PC case to cool your system. Unless you are doing things like massive OCing and/or using multiple GPUs, that case will cool just fine.

Worst case scenario is your system runs a little hot and you buy another fan a week after you complete your build. Just my opinion, but that is better than spending 2x the amount you need to on a case up front.


Ok thank you.
January 21, 2011 10:30:27 AM

Exactly. If you run the cpu at stock and use turboboast, the cpu will throttle down when the heat is too much to bear. It's auto. That just means your max turbo won't be 3.7ghz at all times. Maybe sometimes. Now if you have better cooling, 3.7ghz is a given.

Some pcs especially oem like dell/hp have only 1 exhaust fan in the back.

It's best to get 2x4gb ram cuz some mobos are picky about ram when all ram slots are used. Most boards have 4 slots. Use half of 'em if possible. Otherwise, you may have to lower the ram speed to be stable.

I only recommend good quality parts. It's up to you to decide on which to buy.
!