Something interesting

kratosthestalker

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
Hey guys i have a pc that seams unreal! Thing is i have this pc with a Core 2 Duo Ati 4870 1gb and Tpower I45 so the gpu and mobo clearly indicate that a 500 watt psu is required to operate but read on best part coming up- there is some chieftec 450 watt psu installed and im sitting here wondering how this machine is working not to mention playing crysis on very high (im not showing off just giving an example) :ouch: :eek:

evilavatar

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
kratos I wouldn't show off too much, most really good psu companies have psu that can draw more power than their rating, but they are also at much greater risk of failing and the "ripple" will get much higher. IF your psu should fail while running at very high you risk burning up your mobo and the other components attached, leaving you with a smoking pile of extra large, expensive paper weight. I would highly suggest getting a psu that has a higher wattage rating and make sure you leave some extra head room, because as psu's age they will not work as well and will not draw as much power leading to an increased risk of failure, overheating of parts, and general catastrophic issues with your system.

someone19

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011

I think to rephrase what evilavatar said is : The powersupply can produce more power than its rated, but not for long. As the system draws more power the amp load through the power supply will exceed the rated capacity of the unit. There's no magic switch inside the PSU that says 451 WATTS!? SHUTDOWN! <BZZZZZt> SO basically what's happening is your overclocking your PSU. Running it at higher amperages than it was designed for, and its components aren't up to the task of doing that for very long. Upgrade to a quality PSU that is rated appropriately, and your amps will thank you.

kratosthestalker

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
well i did some checking with my warranty for the pc and there it says there is some Pov tagan diamond black 500watts installed so im thinking somebody at the local hardware store changed it but judging by the name the 500 wats seems chinese?

someone19

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011

Not sure what your asking. Don't worry what the paperwork says, the label on the side of the PSU is what matters what's actually in there. As to if its quality or not: If you didn't purchase it and install it, you don't know what you have. Your best advice has already been given; if its working and under powered, components of your pc won't be long for this world. If you are concerned about it, get a quality PSU, but don't go overkill and waste your money either. If your not concerned about it, button up the case, and game on!